General Electric HQ (Necco Buildings Reno) | 5 Necco Street | Fort Point

Re: General Electric HQ | 244-284 A Street | Fort Point

a bit off the topic but interesting!

Celtics jerseys to have GE logo next season...

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...next-season/g7phvhg5UfNZXw6c8pxppM/story.html

maxresdefault.jpg

a bit off the topic but interesting!

Celtics jerseys to have GE logo next season...

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...next-season/g7phvhg5UfNZXw6c8pxppM/story.html

as far as this forum is concerned, I only care about GE inosfar as they advance the fabric of the architecture of our city... kudos for marketing and reaching out to one of the most important sports teams.... but make sure you activate the fort point area in a way that grows the city both aesthetically and economically

I understand why a small company looking for name recognition would want to do this, but won't this just make people annoyed with GE?

^ This logo better be almost imperceptibly small and tastefully done...else this is a really bad move by GE

This is really an NBA move, not a GE move. The league made this decision to allow ads. I don't like logos on the jersey's at all, but all teams are doing this. If the league has them, I would at least want our to be massively respected global leaders touting their ties to our specific city rather than stubhub or blue diamond almonds, which are currently the other team sponsors.

All that said, I feel bad for Red

^ This logo better be almost imperceptibly small and tastefully done...else this is a really bad move by GE

Doesn't look bad at all:

celtics-ge-logo.jpg

This is really an NBA move, not a GE move. The league made this decision to allow ads. I don't like logos on the jersey's at all, but all teams are doing this. If the league has them, I would at least want our to be massively respected global leaders touting their ties to our specific city rather than stubhub or blue diamond almonds, which are currently the other team sponsors.

All that said, I feel bad for Red

I agree with almost everything here, but GE is not really a "Boston" company. I would of preferred Hancock, or hey... CONVERSE!

I agree with almost everything here, but GE is not really a "Boston" company. I would of preferred Hancock, or hey... CONVERSE!

Yeah but that's the whole point...they're trying to become one

The Nike swoosh will be on the other (right) shoulder of all NBA jerseys, and Converse is a subsidiary of Nike.

NBA teams aren't allowed to sell their "left shoulder" jersey ad space to competitors of Nike, media companies, or companies involved with alcohol, tobacco, gambling, or politics.

Yeah but that's the whole point...they're trying to become one

GE's roots in Greater Boston run deep: "General Electric was formed through the 1892 merger of Edison General Electric Company of Schenectady, New York, and Thomson-Houston Electric Company of Lynn, Massachusetts, with the support of Drexel, Morgan & Co.". https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Electric

GE's roots in Greater Boston run deep: "General Electric was formed through the 1892 merger of Edison General Electric Company of Schenectady, New York, and Thomson-Houston Electric Company of Lynn, Massachusetts, with the support of Drexel, Morgan & Co.". https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Electric

i'm aware of the history, but I am talking about current branding. The Lynn operation has been enduring for an impressively long time, but i still don't think they (up till the HQ move announcement, and even still) were/are viewed as being a Boston company. I work with undergrad engineering students and am constantly listening to their career aspiration chatter...and I know there isn't a sentiment of "I'm going to stay in Boston to work for GE" in the way that there's a sentiment of "I'm going to go to Seattle to work for Boeing," or "I'm going to go to Cupertino to work for Apple." That's all I'm saying.

And based on some of the early press releases about the HQ move, it seemed that talent recruitment/brand image were part of the reasons for the move.

Their logo isn't on the jersey because #Boston anyway. Their logo is on the jersey because they are sponsoring the team's data & analytics.

Their logo isn't on the jersey because #Boston anyway. Their logo is on the jersey because they are sponsoring the team's data & analytics.

Or maybe because Jeff Immelt and Stephen Pagliuca regularly played basketball together while attending HBS (both graduating in 1982).

^^ Yeah... for what it's worth, if any city comes to mind re: GE, it's Schenectady. Although I don't associate Schenectady as being the headquarters city for GE so much as being famous for becoming another depressed industrial city when GE left. I did not know that that was where THE plant was.

It's about time US sports got out of the marketing stone age and put sponsors on their jerseys. This has been going on in soccer for decades. And the shirt sponsor is rarely a local company, unless it is a lower league team.

The London-based soccer giant, Chelsea signed a 5-year, $300M shirt sponsorship deal with Yokohama tires. That's $60M per year and Yokohama isn't a London-based company (obviously).

I think this is fantastic. Sorry for the derailment.

It's about time US sports got out of the marketing stone age and put sponsors on their jerseys. This has been going on in soccer for decades. And the shirt sponsor is rarely a local company, unless it is a lower league team.

The London-based soccer giant, Chelsea signed a 5-year, $300M shirt sponsorship deal with Yokohama tires. That's $60M per year and Yokohama isn't a London-based company (obviously).

LOL. Pretty much what every sports fan feels is missing - - not enough advertising on player jerseys.

I guess there are fans of disease also.

Agreed. Honestly, I think it's kind of funny how people get so bent out of shape with advertising in sports. People were outraged when the current ownership group started putting more ads on the Green Monster. They forget (or didn't know- this was over 100 years ago) it used to look like this.

I don't care if there are ads on uniforms. It's commonplace everywhere else, and it's even more commonplace here than we care to admit (MLB teams- including the Sox- do it during the Japan games and exhibitions already). Even my little league team had "corporate" sponsors names all over our jerseys. In fact, if it can help offset rising ticket prices, concession prices, or even lead to more privately funded stadiums and arenas, I'm all for it. You're already bombarded with advertising when you watch professional sports. Nothing is worse than watching an NFL team score a touchdown- 3 minutes of commercials, PAT, commercials, Kickoff/Return, commercials, and then the offense takes over. Best case scenario, uniform ads help offset that. Worst case scenario- we barely notice the difference after a little while.

^ Little known fact: Eleven-year-old Archibald McCafferty hit 23 home runs that year for the Sox.

Back