General Electric HQ (Necco Buildings Reno) | 5 Necco Street | Fort Point

Re: General Electric HQ | TBD | Innovation District

Those people are *not* going to retrieve their car from their safe FiDi garage to drive to the Seaport to circle the block. Terrible use of their time. They will walk to the curb of their office and take an Uber/taxi--and expense it or not care its costs--and that trip will be sped if there's extra lanes flowing. Speed of movement is the aim. Parking is either irrelevant or harmful.

This is absolutely correct. In nice weather they might even walk (suburbanites ***gasp***, but I know people who do). No one at all sane would pull their car out for the lunch trip.

Arlington Heights has live-over-the-store type densities: 1, 2, and 3 stories tall. Like Newberry St and Lexington Centre [sic]. Your model can/does work in a "main street" district. It simply does not work once the surrounding buildings get taller than "walk up".

That the buildings get taller than walkup (as in the Seaport CBD) is the tipoff that real markets judge that the land is supremely valuable there--....
Those people are *not* going to retrieve their car from their safe FiDi garage to drive to the Seaport to circle the block. Terrible use of their time. They will walk to the curb of their office and take an Uber/taxi--and expense it or not care its costs--and that trip will be sped if there's extra lanes flowing. Speed of movement is the aim. Parking is either irrelevant or harmful.

And yet they do -- just hang out near the exit of the garage at P.O. Sq. for example -- while I can't say where they are all going -- they flow out and back over the course of the lunch hour

This is absolutely correct. In nice weather they might even walk (suburbanites ***gasp***, but I know people who do). No one at all sane would pull their car out for the lunch trip.

JeffD -- Actually in good weather we suburbanites not only walk we sometimes jog, roller blade, or bike and then we stop into a local Starbucks or DD for a cup or glass of something caffeinated

You might sometimes want to explore one of Boston's "so-called Streetcar Suburbs" -- the natives are usually quite friendly -- and the coffee is OK

I assure you that there is no commercially significant or useful SOV-imperative traffic between Fidi and Seaport at lunch (except valet, garage or on the surface lots before they vanish) and in the long run plan, all SOV trips that do occur for burb/city business lunches should, as a matter of policy, be steered to garages valet or for hire not chased with street parking.

Last edited:

And yet they do -- just hang out near the exit of the garage at P.O. Sq. for example -- while I can't say where they are all going -- they flow out and back over the course of the lunch hour
PO square *garage* (not on street) is important for ensuring that burb/city business lunches happen. When I had a burb office it was essential to pulling off lunches in the FiDi and I am sure Fidi to burbs--but you'll note that street parking plays no role either way, except to lure newbies to clog the streets circling the block for 20 minutes til they resign themselves to garage prices. Curb parking is irrelevant or harmful.

Say what one may about Shirley, she has good sources.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...ught-boston/ZSmaQSlF3cEntVCloTLsHK/story.html

As for transportation around the waterfront and along the Greenway, I don't know why a model like DC's Circulator wouldn't work. E.g., one direct loop along the Greenway between North and South stations, and another loop between South Station and North Station via Summer St. and Seaport Blvd. Low price, frequent headways. Some schedules and routes adjusted for late night service.

n-PUBLIC-BUS-DC-WASHINGTON-large570.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

circulator-map.jpg

Last edited:

I'd ask the mods to move all the helicopter/ferry/parking/circulation stuff to the Seaport Transportation thread.
http://www.archboston.com/community/showthread.php?t=4647

Everything from post 72 in this thread onward would go better there.

(PS the Circulator is crazy-perfect for the Seaport. The problem is learned helplessness on the part of the City of Boston when it comes to transit)

I'd ask the mods to move all the helicopter/ferry/parking/circulation stuff to the Seaport Transportation thread.
http://www.archboston.com/community/showthread.php?t=4647

Everything from post 72 in this thread onward would go better there.

(PS the Circulator is crazy-perfect for the Seaport. The problem is learned helplessness on the part of the City of Boston when it comes to transit)

Check out MBTA bus route 4. Rush hour only, but it matches the circulator concept (it uses Congress though rather than the Greenway).

#1 Is there a way to dig deeper to add more hardrails under the Seaport?
#2 What about Monorail across the ocean starting from Aquarium Blue line down the Seaport?
#3 Multi looping San Fran type Trolley going up & down and around Seaport Strip from the Greenway, SST, Summer St in the middle of the streets which divides the traffic?

Last edited:

Aside from greenlining the silver line, the best alternative I can think of would be rerouting the red line through the seaport between andrew and ss.

Aside from greenlining the silver line, the best alternative I can think of would be rerouting the red line through the seaport between andrew and ss.

Scalziand -- the construction of an underground interface joining to the existing Red Line -- assuming a non-crossing junction such as the one between Andrew and JFK UMass would be a horrendous undertaking

Far better to dig under D build on air rights above Silver Line Way and provide a Loop at Silver Line Way -- to allow an entirely underground SL-X route to run from South Station to Court House to World Trade to Silver Line Way and back without encountering any surface traffic

You would then board any SL at South Station for Seaport
many SL's will go to the Airport [provided by direct ramp to TWT] with some continuing to Chelsea
some SLs will go to the Industrial Park and Cruise Terminals

You need to re-read those more carefully or come up with better joke material.

People champion buffered bike lanes, and accept buffers made of just about anything (trees, concrete, pylons, or, yes, cars). But that's where on-street parking is assumed to be acceptable/needed. In those threads it is usually a question of asking that the bike lane be moved from the driver's side of a line of cars to the passenger's side (the sidewalk side). It is done there as a way of pointing out that bike lane can work on either side of a line of cars (without using "war on cars" political capital), but that the protected side is better-- not that the line of cars is preferred.

There's no conflict here either. This is the "war on cars" part of increasing the capacity of our surface streets, first by going after parked cars and later by going after moving cars. Both are huge space hogs, but immobile cars are particularly bad at moving people.

Take away the parking so that it can be better replaced with frequent, free-flowing, all-day bus and bike alternatives that serve both commuters and transients. Clear?

There was no joke. There is lots of talking out of both sides of the mouth to suit an opinion for every area. I'm just not a big fan of dedicated bus lanes when there is a dedicated bus lane 20 feet below. The roads are ridiculously and unnecessarily wide here. I'd much rather see them shrunk than kept wide in the name of bus lanes. Bike lanes, yes, they take up much less width on the road. Better to walk next to than unobstructed 10 ton vehicles as well.

My joke material however, has much more width and breadth.

Booting Up: Monorail would be good idea for quickly expanding Boston
Rose F. Kennedy Greenway needs green travel tech
Jessica Van Sack Monday, January 18, 2016

http://www.bostonherald.com/busines...rail_would_be_good_idea_for_quickly_expanding

These writers must be reading my posts.

I would like to see the Monorail over the water thou not going over the Greenway.

^ Please let's move this to the Seaport Transportation thread.

The last thing Boston needs is an ugly airport style elevated monorail.

The signed agreement between the City, State, and GE has been released.

The terms really don't strike me as all that generous. I'm impressed...

Replacing the old Northern Ave bridge , not repairing/restoring?!? Wow, I know the Seaport's traffic is horrible, but I always wanted to see it restored and be pedestrian only. I'll take it though.

I had always hoped someone would give it a "Highline" treatment and add plantings, seating, beergarden, market space, etc. It would be really cool having it on an old bridge.

Replacing the old Northern Ave bridge , not repairing/restoring?!? Wow, I know the Seaport's traffic is horrible, but I always wanted to see it restored and be pedestrian only. I'll take it though.

Have you seen the deck beams and stringers on that thing? You could fit an elephant through some of those holes.

Just read about GE's request for a helipad. GE can go eat poop. So can Baker. How about using the public money on actual public good?

Back