General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Re: Driven By Customer 'Service' Parte Dos

The Heights is plenty long enough. The platform is literally falling apart, but that's another issue. I expected this 6-car announcement to be "in the mail" as they've recently (i.e. in the last 2 weeks) modified the stopping-point for cars at several Blue Line stations, including Orient Heights.

The unloading platform at Bowdoin can handle a 6-car train, and it's the only platform that matters there.

^^ If what Ron says here is true, there really isn't a reason to close Bowdoin, unless:

1.) Cars with passengers "handle" differently going around the loop;
2.) Union rules or contracts prevent operators from entering the loop with passengers aboard.

I remember reading recently that when operating the 6 car trains in Bowdoin, the first car will actually pull ahead of the platform, meaning that if you want to exit the train, you better be in one of the 5 remaining cars.

I remember reading recently that when operating the 6 car trains in Bowdoin, the first car will actually pull ahead of the platform, meaning that if you want to exit the train, you better be in one of the 5 remaining cars.

All doors in all cars will be available at all platforms except the outbound one at Bowdoin where there (should be) no passengers on board prior to the doors opening.

Even if someone were to stay on in one of the two cars in the tunnel, they wouldn't be in danger unless they activated the customer operated doors and willingly stepped into the tunnel.

There's no reason for passengers to remain in the cars as they go around the loop. That was true before and is still true now.

Riding on a six car train as I type.

T plans to kill JP Loop bus

By JOHN RUCH September 12, 2008

The troubled Route 48 bus service?known as the JP Loop?is marked for death in the MBTA?s latest Service Plan.

?The elimination of this route is recommended due to very low ridership and high costs per passenger,? says the Service Plan, a biennial guide to the MBTA?s proposed transit service for the next two years.

Killing the route would strand residents of 125 Amory Street?a public housing development for the elderly and people with disabilities?without front-door MBTA service. The MBTA proposes re-routing the Route 29 bus to include a 125 Amory stop.

The JP Loop links Monument Square in central Jamaica Plain with local Orange Line subway stations via residential streets. It is known for running off-schedule with very low ridership. The route serves an estimated total of 135 riders, according to the report.

Transit advocates on the Jamaica Plain Neighborhood Council (JPNC) have said for years that the JP Loop would gain ridership if service improved?especially if the route used small vans or mini-buses instead of full-sized buses, as it did when the Loop was created in the 1970s.

But the MBTA tried a different tactic in 2005, controversially making drastic changes to the JP Loop?s route. In fact, it stopped being a single loop. Egleston Square and Washington Street were lopped off and a direct link from Green Street T Station to the Monument disappeared.

The JPNC protested loudly about those changes?which were announced only after they were made?but the route has stayed the same. Within months, the MBTA reported the change was ?unsuccessful? in improving service.

The JP Loop began as a popular mini-bus service connecting central JP with the Orange Line, which at the time ran on elevated tracks on Washington Street. Ridership declined after the Orange Line started running on the Southwest Corridor, closer to Centre Street.

Today, the JP Loop route actually makes two loops. Buses start by heading north on Centre Street from the Monument. Then they loop around Paul Gore, Lamartine and Amory streets to link the Jackson Square and Stony Brook T stations.

From Stony Brook, buses head down Amory to the Green Street T Station. The route loops again around Green, Lamartine and New Minton streets. Finally, it follows Amory and Boylston streets back to Centre Street and returns to the Monument.

If the Route 29 bus is re-routed to include 125 Amory Street, it would only provide residents there with a connection to the Jackson Square T Station. And the Route 29 runs only on weekdays, so 125 Amory Street would have no direct T service on weekends. The JP Loop currently runs on weekdays and Saturdays.

The Route 29 currently runs between Jackson Square and Mattapan Station on Columbus Avenue, Seaver Street and Blue Hill Avenue. Adding an Amory Street detour would add five minutes to the trip, resulting in a violation of the MBTA?s own trip-frequency standard, according to the Service Plan. But, the report adds, the delay is worth it to continue serving the apartment building.

The re-routing might also ?require the elimination of one or two on-street parking spaces,? the report says.

The Service Plan proposes no other changes to JP routes. It does note that several Forest Hills-based bus routes, as well as the Orange and Green rail lines, run in violation of schedule or passenger load standards. But, the report says, the MBTA lacks resources to fix most of those problems. The Orange Line is undergoing upgrades to its signal system that are expected to boost on-time runs.

The Service Plan notes that the state Executive Office of Transportation (EOT) is running a separate process for improving the Route 39 bus, a major JP transit option and one of the city?s busiest bus lines. ?A Citizens? Working Group is advising EOT, the City of Boston, and the MBTA? about Route 39 improvements, the report says, though the advisory group actually has yet to be formed.

The Service Plan is still a draft proposal that is open to public comments through Sept. 30. The MBTA is holding a series of public meetings about the Service Plan, including one in JP on Sept. 16 at the State Lab. [See JP Agenda.] To view the entire Service Plan, see www.mbta.com. Comments can be sent to serviceplan08@mbta.com or MBTA Service Planning Unit, 45 High St., Boston, MA 02110.

LINK

If it runs only on tiny residential side streets, why can't it stay on schedule?

Two new articles, one regarding bike cages, and another about customers complaining about T employees. This first one is about the bike cages:

MBTA opens bike cages at Alewife

CAMBRIDGE. The MBTA opened two new bike cages at Alewife station Thursday morning, a move officials hope will encourage greater ridership and take more cars off the road.

The outdoor cages, located at opposite sides of the station, include 150 spaces each for bicycles. Space will be available for free on a first-come, first-serve basis, but to gain access, riders will have to use a new Bike CharlieCard. That card, also launched Thursday, works just like a normal CharlieCard, but it allows bicyclists to enter the cages by tapping it against a sensor panel next to the cage door.

Riders can pick up the new Bike CharlieCards at either Alewife or Downtown Crossing station.

Alewife station is one of most popular for bicyclists, and MBTA officials said they hope the cages will provide a safe place for bike storage. With the T?s recent spike in ridership, more and more bikes are being chained to railings and benches nearby. The T hopes to prevent bike theft by monitoring the free cages with multiple security cameras.

?A lot of folks spend a lot of money on their equipment, and when they get back to the station from work, they want to make sure it?s safe,? T General Manager Dan Grabauskas said.

Officials from the MBTA and the city of Cambridge, along with cycling advocates, began discussing the idea of bike cages in May. Grabauskas said Thursday the T is considering adding cages at other stations but will wait to see how the Alewife cages are received.

LINK

And this one is in regards to customer complaints:

Boston riders rail against MBTA

By Marie Szaniszlo / Herald Exclusive
Friday, September 19, 2008 - Updated 1h ago

Fifteen months after vowing to crack down on churlish employees, the MBTA is still being bombarded with thousands of complaints about subway and bus drivers doing everything from chatting on cell phones to cursing at riders, a Herald review shows.

One passenger on the Route 501 bus called the agency to complain that ?the operator is constantly angry, always has an attitude and makes a lot of faces at people,? according to T records.

?Customer stated the (bus) operator saw someone running for the bus, he slowed down and then just pulled off.?

Douglas Armstrong, 48, of Roxbury recalled being berated by a Route 28 bus driver because he didn?t have the right fare.

?I said, ?I have $5. Can I ask someone for change?? ? Armstrong said Wednesday. ?She said, ?No, you?re supposed to have it when you get on. If you don?t, get the (expletive) off.? ?

When another passenger gave him the change, Armstrong said, the driver told him, ? ?Next time, (expletive), you have the right change when you get on my bus.? ?

From April to August, the MBTA received 14,335 bus, subway and commuter rail complaints in all, up more than 13 percent from the same period last year, when the T began tracking complaints electronically.

Subway complaints climbed the most - 25.58 percent - followed by commuter rail (17.10 percent) and bus beefs (7.77 percent).

All told, riders registered 3,460 complaints about T bus drivers, 751 about subway workers and 521 about commuter rail employees.

To address obnoxious employees, the T said in June 2007 it had replaced its ?Positive Performance Counseling Program? with an actual discipline policy.

Yesterday, spokesman Joe Pesaturo said offending employees get a written warning, followed by a progression of one-, three- and five-day unpaid suspensions, with a final warning on the third and, afterward, firing.

However, Pesaturo could not specify how many had been disciplined as a result of complaints, adding that the number of complaints compared to the number of T riders each day is ?infinitesimal.?

The agency recorded 134,456,000 trips from April to July, up from the 129,968,000 trips in the same period last year.

?I would imagine the number of complaints would increase with the number of riders we?ve seen,? T boss Daniel A. Grabauskas said. ?My goal is to maintain the increase in ridership and decrease the overall complaint volume.?

Asked this week if he had any complaints of his own, 39-year-old commuter Anderson Gray of Dorchester said, ?Where do you want me to start??

Gray recalled a recent incident in which a bus driver refused to lower a ramp for a disabled woman struggling to get on board.

Then on Wednesday, he said, he was on a half-full Route 23 bus when the driver picked him up and proceeded to bypass the next stop, leaving people there waving at her to no avail.

?Other drivers will be on their cell phone and almost miss a stop and slam on the brakes so you almost fall,? Gray said. ?But when you call to report something, a lot of times all you get is a recording, or you?re on hold for so long, you hang up.?

Asked how the T could be improved, Jen Boyden, 23, of Arlington said, ?Maybe an attitude adjustment.?

Boyden recalled a 45-minute delay last week on the Red Line. By the time the full train reached Kendall Station, she said, the conductor was ?yelling at people? over the intercom.

LINK

I had the exact opposite experience today.

I got on the 57 bus. The driver was closing his door but saw me hurrying to the stop and waited for me.

My connection at kenmore was fine.

I got on the 1 at Hynes, and it said I didnt have money, so I asked the driver if I was supposed to have a free ride because of the transfer. He said he wasnt sure, but that I could go ahead anyway and try to find out for the future. A girl asked the driver if he stopped at Albany street, and he promised to tell her when we got there.

He then wished people a good day as they got off.

Oh and also, look what was working today.

(The display was fine, I dont know why it came out like that, the second one says Next Silver Line / Now Arriving)

IMG_6213-1.jpg

IMG_6215.jpg

Where are the cops?
IMG_6216.jpg

Did the free transfer work? (I think not since it was a second transfer, but I'm curious now)

Did the free transfer work? (I think not since it was a second transfer, but I'm curious now)

It worked fine from the bus to the green line (deducted 45 cents) but then tried to take money when I transferred to the 1 (I had 80 cents so it said invalid).

The driver was nice enough to let me on anyway.

They really should allow more transfers, for legit rides like mine.

Some cities do that -- a fare is good for a fixed amount of time, no matter how many vehicles you take. But that's not the T's system.

Some cities do that -- a fare is good for a fixed amount of time, no matter how many vehicles you take. But that's not the T's system.

When the system was put into place, it was said to be fair as one trip = one price every single time. Thats not the case.

I believe people using the mattapan line have the same problem (they can transfer to red but not to a bus)

Yeah unfortunately there is no bus-subway-bus transfer. You only get one transfer per trip.

As the fares continue to climb, I think we'll hear the cries for this sort of system get louder. Running an errand would just be prohibitively expensive once you're paying 2.50-3.00 each way...

Tough times for disabled

2 years after suit, many stations still inaccessible

By Marie Szaniszlo
Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - Updated 43m ago

Two years after the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority settled a class-action lawsuit with people with disabilities, one-third of the MBTA?s 127 stations remain inaccessible, a Herald review shows.

What?s more, only 95 of the Green Line?s fleet of 207 cars have low floors that can be easily bridged to meet subway platforms, according to T figures. The rest require crank lifts that are awkward and time-consuming to operate.

Deirdre Lucas avoids taking the T, even though she lives on the Green Line.

?It?s a degrading place to be,? she said. ?I don?t want to put myself through that.?

Lucas ticks off a list of bad experiences she has had on the T, from not being able to take a train or get off at a stop because it isn?t accessible, to watching other passengers? reactions when a train is held up because a conductor has to help her on or off.

?People roll their eyes and look at you like, ?You?re holding us all up,? ? she says. ?The other passengers and staff may not tell you directly that you?re a second-class citizen. But you sure feel like one.?

Under the 2006 settlement the MBTA reached with the Boston Center for Independent Living and 11 individual plaintiffs, the T agreed to make numerous changes, including revising employee training; purchasing new, low-floor buses; installing or improving station elevators; and hiring an assistant general manager to ensure compliance with the settlement - all things it has done.

T officials say it will take another five to seven years to make America?s oldest transit system 100 percent accessible but insist they have made progress. Of the T?s 127 stations, the number of those accessible has climbed from 26 to 81 over the past eight years.

?The progress we?ve made in the last two years has exceeded expectations,? T General Manager Daniel A. Grabauskas said. ?But it?s not completed by any means. . . We?re trying to go beyond compliance with the law.?

Andrew Forman, one the lawsuit?s plaintiffs, is legally blind but doesn?t use a cane or guide dog. He says that only a few years ago, it wasn?t uncommon for him to get on the wrong train or bus or to get off at the wrong stop.

If he asked for guidance, Forman says, the driver often would say, ?Why are you asking me? It?s right up there on the sign.? Or, if the driver nodded and Forman asked again, the driver might say, ?I just told you.?

Today, automated announcements tell riders what the next stop is and when the next train is due to arrive.

?I don?t get lost anymore,? he said.

LINK

> It will take another five to seven years to make America?s oldest transit system 100 percent accessible

What will they do about Hynes station?

Back