General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Re: Driven By Customer 'Service' Parte Dos

Just a note on Proof of Payment (using pass holders and self-validated tickets instead of a farebox or faregate).

San Diego trolleys, which use only Proof of Payment, report 98% payment in recent audits. http://www.sdmts.com/Trolley/documents/SDTrolleyFactSheet.pdf

Consider how much faster buses and the Green Line would load if riders were permitted to use all doors (and not do the farebox thing). (faster loading means faster average speeds, shorter commutes and more vehicles per hour for the same staffing)

Consider how much smaller/cheaper headhouses could be on the subway could be.

The mind and heart ache that we have not gone to POP--at least on the buses and green line.

I was in San Diego last week and experienced this firsthand, riding around parts of the city on the MTS trolley. All while figuratively shaking my head the whole time as to how easy and fast it was.

Honestly, in my talks with people working within the MBTA, it seems to me that the reason they wont do it is because they are so shell-shocked by political opposition/lack of funding. It doesn't seem to be that they are necessarily opposed to POP, rather, they are so tired of political opposition (and the resultant underfunding) from legislators from non-MBTA served areas that they have just caved to pressures to "reduce rider fraud", which always seems to be a legislative talking point (just like being "tough on crime")...

Proof-of-payment systems usually have random checks to provide a disincentive to skip paying. You'd think that the potential for $100-$300 fines served on the spot would satiate the tough-on-crime crowd's bloodlust.

In fairness to Rich, he was way out in front stumping for the gigantic Patrick transpo bill last time out. He may or may not be avoiding PoP because it's a third rail issue, but it's not like he's completely averse to sticking his neck out.

Davey is a proponent of the "front door policy" and I know this because I put the question to him directly, and he made up some excuse about it "being necessary to stop fare evasion" or some bullshit.

That's not standing up for riders, that's kowtowing to idiotic politics.

Serious, but maybe basic or cynical question. The Red line has delays because of signal problems at Alewife... a lot. I can understand some issues that appear mid-line, but how and why are there such severe and recurring issues at the terminus station? And why are they so hard to dispatch around in both directions when they occur?

^ Probably the crossover before the station for trains switching tracks.

Looks like the MBTA is launching commuter boat service on the weekends. I'm kind of surprised that the boat gets weekend service when the Greenbush Line still doesn't, but this does appear to be a seasonal thing.

I recall a quote from a T rep last year saying something to the extent of "the front door policy was instituted as a result of customers asking for us to reduce the number of people coming in through the rear doors and not paying." It's a case of "we gave you what you wanted, why are you still complaining?". The problem is until they do POP, it's going to be a back and forth between the riders complaining that boarding is too slow because of front door boarding or other riders complaining that people are getting on without paying if using all doors. The T is either too stupid or clueless to realize they need to put their foot down on the side of efficiency rather than fare evasion if they want to keep ridership trending up. People will always complain about something...

Looks like the MBTA is launching commuter boat service on the weekends. I'm kind of surprised that the boat gets weekend service when the Greenbush Line still doesn't, but this does appear to be a seasonal thing.

I've wanted to check out Hingham Shipyard for a while now, but it's not an urgent enough desire to take a weekday away from the office to catch the ferry. Nor would I want the hassle of driving out there on a weekend. I can't imagine there are too many people in ... the same boat ... as me, but it's nice to have the option.

Wow that's not just a Hingham ferry, it also stops at Logan and some of the harbor islands for WAY cheaper than the current ferrys. I think the other ferry to Georges Island was something like $30 round trip, this is only going to be $16 round trip ($8 one way except if boarding at Logan).

Edit: Im way off, it was $15 round trip for the boston harbor cruise. Not sure where I got that old price from

I recall a quote from a T rep last year saying something to the extent of "the front door policy was instituted as a result of customers asking for us to reduce the number of people coming in through the rear doors and not paying." It's a case of "we gave you what you wanted, why are you still complaining?". The problem is until they do POP, it's going to be a back and forth between the riders complaining that boarding is too slow because of front door boarding or other riders complaining that people are getting on without paying if using all doors. The T is either too stupid or clueless to realize they need to put their foot down on the side of efficiency rather than fare evasion if they want to keep ridership trending up. People will always complain about something...

The thing is... I really don't think it was riders raising all of the fuss about fare evasion. When you have a budget shortfall, it's always easiest to point the finger at an sitting target (fare evasion) than something that is a much more systemic issue (debt, labor).

The MBTA is, in fact, both too stupid and too clueless to do much of anything. :) But all of that is a function of the ineptitude of our government - you can't expect efficiency and policy enforcement if no one is really holding anyone accountable to any sort of meaningful standards.

"the front door policy was instituted as a result of customers asking for us to reduce the number of people coming in through the rear doors and not paying."

Like one person made that complaint, some old coot.

Whereas a dozen other people said "IMPLEMENT SIGNAL PRIORITY YOU $#^#$^$# ALREADY" but did they do that ... no ...

They make excuses, that's all.

Well at today's Board Meeting the Chair called out on what the T is doing about fare evasion because he hears about it "a lot". They did talk about looking to do more with PoP where it was feasible.

I will NOT miss the T when I bounce come July...

Well at today's Board Meeting the Chair called out on what the T is doing about fare evasion because he hears about it "a lot". They did talk about looking to do more with PoP where it was feasible.

CTPS did a report ... much better than hearsay...

PoP, eh? Well I will be curious to read the minutes when they come out, then.

Might as well post this here, meantime:

http://willbrownsberger.com/forums/...a-progress-report-on-green-line-improvements/

Last year, Senator Brownsberger hosted a forum on the state of the Green Line. More than 100 riders attended to voice their concerns about service and capacity issues. MBTA General Manager Dr. Beverly Scott attended, accompanied by a panel of MBTA personnel to answer questions and hear concerns from riders. Senator Brownsberger summarized the issues raised in a letter to MassDOT Secretary Davey. The MBTA responded in a letter that outlined current MBTA initiatives to improve service.

This year’s public meeting, will be held Wednesday, May 28, 6:00-8:00 p.m. in Rabb Lecture Hall at the Copley Library. Once again, Senator Brownsberger will host the event. Dr. Scott and MBTA personnel will discuss the progress that has been made towards addressing concerns raised during last year’s event and update riders on new initiatives. Attendees will be able to ask questions and bring their concerns to the attention of senior MBTA staff.

So, this might be of interest, particularly to Brookline residents and/or "C" branch riders. Brookline may finally be getting serious about transit signal priority on Beacon Street. Write your Town Meeting Member in support, the vote is May 27th.

So, this might be of interest, particularly to Brookline residents and/or "C" branch riders. Brookline may finally be getting serious about transit signal priority on Beacon Street. Write your Town Meeting Member in support, the vote is May 27th.

3 years living in Beacon St., and wondering every time I saw the T coming from the Coolidge Corner and stopping in every %$%& light how that could be considered normal and acceptable. The week I move, I read this... :-(

Anyway, I hope it gets trough, of course. Just with this plus the PoP, the C line could actually become usable. I would like to see hard numbers, but my feeling is that with both changes, a reduction in time of 20-30% wouldn't be crazy.

Wouldn't improving C-line reliability aslo improve the other branches in the Central subway?

Very exciting, thanks for the news Matthew. I noticed this bit in those slides:

That before funds are sought or expended to implement any TSP project, the MBTA shall present a plan to the Town describing how congestion at Cleveland Circle resulting from reduced transit time on Beacon Street will be avoided

I'm puzzled by this point. Even with TSP, the T may maintain the same frequency of service but with less bunching right? In which case it doesn't make sense for congestion to increase at the Reservoir yard. I suppose it's possible that TSP would allow the T to run higher frequency service though.

Back