General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Re: Driven By Customer 'Service' Parte Dos

This is your Fitchburg train 454's brain on "engine burn". . .

train+burnout.jpg

Any questions?

Why exactly has the CharlieCard store been unable to produce reduced fare CharlieCards for the past 2 weeks? I've been hearing the announcements during my morning commutes and seeing them on Twitter. Seems like such a bizarre problem to have.

Any questions?

I'll bite. Was this a matter of an equipment malfunction, in which some controlling device failed, with some poor operator watching helplessly as his equipment ground a valley for itself? Or was this the result of a human being just failing to grasp the self-defeating implications of his stubbornness, the way auto-mobile operators so often do when mired in mud?

I'd feel a lot better if it was the former rather than the latter.

Also, really impressive picture, thanks for posting it.

I'll bite. Was this a matter of an equipment malfunction, in which some controlling device failed, with some poor operator watching helplessly as his equipment ground a valley for itself? Or was this the result of a human being just failing to grasp the self-defeating implications of his stubbornness, the way auto-mobile operators so often do when mired in mud?

I'd feel a lot better if it was the former rather than the latter.

Also, really impressive picture, thanks for posting it.

It's wheel slip (same stuff you put up with every wet-leaf season), where a malfunction in the traction motor keeps the wheel spinning instead of cutting out. By this point train's already gone into emergency stop to keep the passengers safe and the other motors have shut off to keep any of them from slipping. But this one keeps spinning. And spinning. Until it starts grinding its own steel wheel to smithereens and shorts out. "Engine burn!"

Anything from a Mattapan trolley to a Red Line car to a DMU to a freight beast can fault like this. Just...uh...usually not so spectacularly. Inbound train, so the locomotive was vacant and the engineer was controlling from the cab car. He/she would've definitely heard it/felt it/smelled it within seconds in the loco and manually killed the power. But 6 cars on the opposite end? They need an alarm to go off on the console. Apparently that didn't happen for close to a minute (train's long been stopped, emergency brake dumped...nobody onboard is in the slightest bit of harm's way). So the wheel literally welded itself to the track with its own friction before the motor finally went poof. That photo is what was left of the rail AFTER they blowtorched the welded pieces of wheel off. And it probably smelled real good too.

Culprit was one of the ancient F40's due to be shot behind the barn in a couple months. If all that ails it is one barbecued traction motor that's not necessarily going to put it out-of-service long because traction motors get replaced often and there's tons of spares laying around.

I

Anything from a Mattapan trolley to a Red Line car to a DMU to a freight beast can fault like this. .

The Red Line train that "self-evacuated" at Quincy Center back in January after the first blizzard had the same type of issue. Wheels were still spinning from a "runaway motor" while the train was stopped, and the doors on the car wouldn't open because the no-motion relay detected motion from the axles. Inspector was just about to cut power to the motors and put the door no-motion relay on by-pass when people started breaking the windows to get out. As you might guess, wheels spinning on a stopped train creates a lot of noise and smoke, but no actual fire (unless you leave it spinning there long enough).

That image was posted just as an example (more of a question) in regards to what was reported to have happened. I don't think I've seen any actual pictures from the Fitchburg Line incident.

I have seen a photo of the actual incident, and it did indeed look like the same type of damage as displayed in the sample photo above.

I have seen a photo of the actual incident, and it did indeed look like the same type of damage as displayed in the sample photo above.

How in god's name did they get this fixed in time for the evening commute? What's involved in repairing something like that? I was quite stunned at how quickly they were able to restore normal service.

How in god's name did they get this fixed in time for the evening commute? What's involved in repairing something like that? I was quite stunned at how quickly they were able to restore normal service.

My completely armchair guess would be: back up the train by tugging it from the other direction, then replace the entire section of rail. Presumably the MBTA has a lot of spare rail sections laying around.

My completely armchair guess would be: back up the train by tugging it from the other direction, then replace the entire section of rail. Presumably the MBTA has a lot of spare rail sections laying around.

That is basically what was done.

It's wheel slip ......

F-Line, that's hugely informative, thank you.

As for the turnaround on getting it fixed, I have on at least one other occasion seen the T do a great job in emergency repair, when the D line washed out in 2010. In case anyone doesn't remember, link here:

http://www.wickedlocal.com/article/20100315/News/303159180

I live not far from there, and the day after it happened, I walked over to check it out. I was sure we'd be on shuttle buses for a month at least, and I wouldn't have been surprised if it turned into two. They had it back on line in exactly one week, and they couldn't even get started for about two days because the water was still raging through. I'm not sure how long it took for the flood to subside, but they banged that repair right out. That wash-out was a hell of a lot bigger repair than just replacing a single section of rail, so relatively speaking, I'm not so surprised they could have this kind of problem during the morning commute and have it fixed by the evening commute.

It seems to this outside observer like the T's rapid response track repair team - or whatever they call it - may be one section of the organization that is functioning just fine. "Outside observer" = admittedly ignorant. I'm making an educated guess here.

Replacing about 4 feet of welded rail can be done in 15 minutes flat if they absolutely have to. Saw it out, install a temporary piece of jointed rail, test the track circuits to make sure they bridge the band-aid, then at worst run speed-restricted. There was some YouTube documentary on NYC Subway years ago that showed a track gang doing exactly that right in the middle of the day with trains still running on the next track. They got in and out without a service disruption. Obviously the stakes are a little bit different on a subway vs. commuter rail, but they can indeed scramble like a NASCAR crew to fix a single-point break like that.

Here, in double-track CR territory, it's rarely that urgent and they can usually just single-track the rest of the service day and wait till the overnight shift to send the welding team out for a seamless permanent fix. The commute-FUBAR'ing aspect this incident was simply all the equipment and personnel that had to be brought in and staged to get that locomotive safely backed out of the hole it dug without doing more track damage.

Make riders happier by evaluating - and possibly re-configuring - the MBTA's bus routes?

Time for MBTA to change its bus map
The Boston Globe
Editorial Board, April 14, 2015

If Charlie Baker wants to find inexpensive ways to improve the T, he might consider one fact: In 1954 — two years before he was born — the 34 bus ran from Forest Hills, down Washington Street past Roslindale, and onward to the Dedham line.

In 2015, it still does.

The map of where the T runs its buses would appear to be etched in stone: In some cases, today’s MBTA buses are still running along the same routes as the trolleys that preceded them. Yet the city surrounding those buses is unrecognizable, with huge population shifts and the emergence of whole new employment centers.

While the T often changes the frequency of buses, treating the routes themselves as sacrosanct is a recipe for inefficiency. To make sure the T is maximizing the value of its buses and drivers, the agency should imagine how the map would look if it were building a Boston bus network from scratch, based on today’s population and economy — not that of 1954 or 1912. The idea comes from the advocacy group A Better City, which recommended to Baker’s MBTA review panel recently that the agency conduct such a “zero-based” analysis every five years. Maybe the 34 bus should continue running along the same route it has plied since the Eisenhower administration, but why not at least double check?

Other cities and regions have done so, and then adjusted routes and schedules, with encouraging results: Rhode Island rearranged its bus routes in 2013, leading to increased ridership. Houston is in the midst of radically rearranging its bus map. Buses can operate almost anywhere, and the technological barriers to changing routes, and communicating alterations to riders, have never been lower. With smartphone apps and next-bus arrival screens at key stations, it’s far easier now for agencies like the T to alert customers to scheduling or route changes.

Still, the routing of buses — even the exact location of single stops — can quickly get bogged down in politics. In 2009, the Patrick administration’s effort to upgrade the 28 bus to Mattapan Square fell apart, even though it involved no route change. There’s a value to consistency and predictability, and that should be factored into any decision to change routes predicated on a zero-based study. But buses shouldn’t run on the same routes they always have just because they always have.

Baker’s review panel rightly emphasized that the T needs to turn into a more customer-focused organization. An obvious way to do that, and make the most of the T’s existing assets and labor force, would be to ensure that it is offering services that match the needs of today’s riders — not those of their great-grandparents.

Hilariously, they use an example that follows a major arterial.

Color me underwhelmed by their argument. Consider that we could rewrite their opening statement quite easily:

In 1954 — two years before he was born — Route 1 ran from Attleboro up through Foxborough to Walpole.

In 2015, it still does.

Now, I'm not saying bus routes should never be redone, and I'd grant that there are some routes that I would probably change. But, even if they were to redesign the network from the ground up, I don't think it would look much different, except perhaps for a greater emphasis on BRT-esque routes and express commuter buses.

The bus routes follow the old trolley routes, and the old trolley routes were what catalyzed development in the suburbs. The strength of their impact is indeed slowly fading, but, for the most part, where the trolleys went is still where people live and work.

Also, their reference to RIPTA isn't really fair. It was hardly the wholesale redesign they suggest it to be. The biggest changes were the overall simplification of the system by eliminating a whole range of ridiculous one-time route variations. Boston doesn't have that problem. Other changes, like combining the 42 and the 1, were almost entirely paint-job changes, since 42 buses were already being through-routed as 1 buses; this change simply made that clearer for riders.

If the Globe wants to complain about specific routes, I'm all ears. Until then, this just sounds asinine.

I would suggest they look at San Francisco which has a system with a similar situation of bus lines covering old trolley lines and a lot of what they did was consolidation of route variation. For example the T could make a decision to run a 70 route and not a 70A and either give it a new name or find a new way to serve the areas the 70A does but without the nearly complete overlap.

Although after looking at the map I'm not sure that is the best example and it will be harder for Boston because most roads lead from one square to another unlike in SF which has a grid.

A few points that I'm sure won't be news to most people that read this forum.

-A large investment has been made in a heavy rail network since 1901 and it makes sense for the local bus network to feed that network. The local streetcar network was developed by the same operator (Boston El) that developed the heavy rail network and the streetcar lines were altered as the rapid transit system expended. The bus routes replaced those streetcars and still feed the rail network. This is different from parts of NYC and Chicago, where the streetcar operators competed with the rapid transit (elevated) operators, and the bus networks still to this day in some ways reflect that fact. It is different from places like Washington and Atlanta, where a heavy rail network was built decades after the streetcars where gone, and the bus networks required major changes to feed the new rapid transit lines.

-We don't have a roadway system that consists of a grid network. A lot of the changes to systems like Houston are to have the buses follow the street pattern that naturally allows for a network with minimal transfers if you follow the major roadways

-There has been ongoing analysis over the years. In the 1980/early 90s several subarea studies were completed (link to an example)
https://archive.org/details/westcorridorbuss01metr

In 1998, the MBTA initiated a bi-annual service plan process that reviews bus service. It has stalled out in recent years, but an example of the types of reviews and service changes it brought can still be found on the MBTA web site:
http://www.mbta.com/about_the_mbta/t_projects/default.asp?id=12769

There have been some major changes over the years. Express buses were introduced after the opening of the Mass Pike extension in the 1960s and I-93 in the 1970s. Until 1972, there wasn't a single bus route on Longwood Ave. in the medical area, service has grown there accordingly. Much of the employment growth in suburban areas took place in locations that are difficult to service with transit, and despite the large growth in other areas, downtown Boston still has the greatest number of jobs. If you were asked to redraw the transit map with a clean slate, but with limited resources to implement service, you would still give priority to serving downtown Boston.

The big things the T would benefit from would be rationalizing some of the oddballs, gaining a few high-demand routes (Kenmore-Central-Harvard and Ruggles-Mass Ave-Kendall, etc), and investigating frequency. There are a lot of routes than would do so much better with consistent clock-face scheduling - I suspect the resulting consistent service and perception boost would outweigh additional waits at some terminals.

I'm always bugged by the Cross Town initiative that went nowhere. Those busses were meant to prime high frequency corridors that would eventually be served in some way or another by the Urban Ring. When that project got shelved they left the CTs hanging. They ought to be beefed up sixty-footers and/or running every 10-15 minutes. Instead they operate on a fairly haphazard (and chronically late) schedule.

Back