General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Re: Driven By Customer 'Service' Parte Dos

A note about the Dudley Square police altercation: IIRC the video shows the officer unholstering his gun, but not pointing it at anyone. Correct me if I'm wrong. This story is getting major national press and I don't actually think the officer did very much wrong.

A note about the Dudley Square police altercation: IIRC the video shows the officer unholstering his gun, but not pointing it at anyone. Correct me if I'm wrong. This story is getting major national press and I don't actually think the officer did very much wrong.

Probably a debate for a different thread, but that is what the video shows.

The T will now be publishing weekly on-time performance reports:

http://mbta.com/uploadedfiles/About_the_T/Board_Meetings/PerformanceTables28Sep2015V3.pdf

Their metric for "on time" is to keep headways :
  • within a minute of the advertised figures on rapid transit,
  • within five minutes on the key buses and commuter rail,
  • sticking exactly to schedule on the rest of the system.
These metrics seem surprisingly strict (at least for American transit), and the results are pretty dismal as a result. The Red and Orange lines are especially poor, with last Thursday's peak Red Line only achieving 59% on-time performance. The goals are pretty loose however, they're only targeting 75% on-time performance on rapid transit and 90% on commuter rail.

Anyone know what happened to the Blue Line last weekend? It had an OTP below 50%.

Anyone know what happened to the Blue Line last weekend? It had an OTP below 50%.

Per the conductor on my train on Sat: Single-track ops between State & Bowdoin. I think it had something to do with GC. Trains were severely delayed. My train was held at Aquarium for 15 minutes and then I just gave up and walked from Aquarium to DTX instead of going to State.

Storm causes flooding on MBTA Commuter Rail tracks

Heavy rain and flooding caused MBTA Commuter Rail delays Wednesday morning.

FOX25's Michael Henrich was at the Commuter Rail in Natick as water flooded the tracks.

Just after 9 a.m., MBTA officials had to move all trains on the line to the outbound tracks.

Looks Like Worcester Line On-Time Performance will continue to struggle in week 2 of the Report Card Era.

Natick Center station is scheduled to be rebuilt when funding is available - it's the busiest non-handicapped-accessible CR station on the system. Full-length high-level platform, passing track for freights, maybe even a partial deck. I'm guessing that work will also include drainage improvements to mitigate this issue.

Natick Center station is scheduled to be rebuilt when funding is available - it's the busiest non-handicapped-accessible CR station on the system. Full-length high-level platform, passing track for freights, maybe even a partial deck. I'm guessing that work will also include drainage improvements to mitigate this issue.

Lots of work on the drainage scheduled first-up for the project. That station cut has been notoriously flood-prone since historic times, and 25-year flood events have been known to shut the line for days through there. That's why they've expedited funding for this one while every other Worcester Line station ADA upgrade is still spinning in purgatory.

Center island platform so they can consolidate egresses, and the Cochituate Rail Trail on the ex- CSX Saxonville Branch is due to be extended from Route 30 to a trail head at the North Ave. crosswalk right across from the station entrance. Or it will whenever the town settles its cold war with CSX over the asking price for the Natick Mall-Natick station segment of ROW. Freight passer's been deleted from the project since CSX voluntarily waived the clearance exemption east of Framingham in the flurry of Beacon Park deal-making. It'll be a later add-on when traffic gets dense enough that Amtrak and Worcester expresses need an extra overtake point.

Don't think they're looking at air rights overbuilds at the moment because that's too pricey and town would have to float higher % of that cost. But retaining walls will serve that up as future consideration for the Main-Washington-North-South block

Nice! We've now had more precipitation in a calendar day than any other calendar day in 2015. Remember, the heaviest precipitation in terms of water equivalence always falls in the form of rain.

If that is the most major issue the MBTA encounters today, it would be a success for sure.

It's looking pretty bad so far this evening. A guy died just riding the orange line, the red line is shut down due to power problems (electrical fire at Broadway?), and the green line had signal problems earlier, but at least the Muddy River didn't flood. Only the blue line soldiers on.

We who are about to commute... salute you!

Damn.

Red Line Experiencing 'Severe Delays' Due to Power Problem

Just in time for the afternoon commute, the MBTA says it is experiencing "severe delays" on the Red Line due to a power problem.

The MBTA said power had to be shut off after smoke was detected in the electrical power system in the tunnel section between South Station and Broadway. Boston Fire Department and MBTA power department personnel are now entering the tunnel to investigate.

Service has been temporarily suspended between Park Street and JFK. All trains have been parked at stations and passengers were let off.

The pictures look like February all over again. Yikes!

DTX does that every time the ground is oversatured. Watch the Red level of Park start to have waterfalls pouring out of the wall tiles next.

Monday is going to be a hell-on-earth commute. We're guaranteed to get the very spread-out rain from Joaquin Sun./Mon. because of a big mash-up of wet weather systems, even if the storm track spares us the immediate effects. That's the one that'll bust out the sandbags at the D portal when the flood watch gets slapped on the Muddy.

Anyone know if the Army COE project on the muddy is far enough along to make a positive impact on drainage this weekend?

Guy's I don't think that we have anything to worry about this weekend

There may be a few rain showers on Saturday to keep the grass wet

11L_tracks_latest.png

New track indicates nothing is likely from Joaquin except some beach erosion on the south side of the Cape and maybe big waves at Revere

Guy's I don't think that we have anything to worry about this weekend

There may be a few rain showers on Saturday to keep the grass wet

11L_tracks_latest.png

New track indicates nothing is likely from Joaquin except some beach erosion on the south side of the Cape and maybe big waves at Revere

To add to that, here's the cone map:

175226W5_NL_sm.gif

To add to that, here's the cone map:

Wormtown -- there was that one real-outlier model which was showing a track that zoomed from S Carolina straight to Nantucket

but the most recent run has corralled even that one -- so no sandbags needed

11L_tracks_latest.png

MBTA unveils new countdown signs at downtown Green Line stations

BOSTON (MyFoxBoston.com) – Tuesday morning the MBTA unveiled several new countdown signs on the Green Line.

These are part of an overhaul to keep riders informed about their commutes.

Signs at Copley and Arlington were activated Tuesday and signs at Boylston, Park Street, Haymarket, North Station and Science Park will be activated later this week.

Green Line entering the 21st century! Or, at least, in some ways.

Hynes and Kenmore already have countdown signs, right?

Back