General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Re: Driven By Customer 'Service' Parte Dos

Pretty sure the buttresses serve no purpose for the trains themselves. They could plausibly support a direct egress into a parking garage if the T were feeling like going vertical with the main lot so they could sell the south lot for more TOD $$$ (which wouldn't be a bad idea at all).

This was the temp CR platform during the '96 floods. It was much further back, in the 3-track yard where they store the flatcars.
flood1.jpg

There've been many platform reconfigs at Riverside over the years, with many many temp platforms mid-reconfig. That pavement slab could be a remnant of anything. Or just an employee sidewalk that doubles as overflow if the main platform is overstuffed.

Do any of you transit insiders have any sense of whether the T makes good use of this census?:

http://www.mbta.com/about_the_mbta/default.asp?id=6442454743

I filled it out because what the hell, why not. But I'm curious to know whether they get enough people responding to constitute a sufficient sample size to do anything useful with it.

Do any of you transit insiders have any sense of whether the T makes good use of this census?:
http://www.mbta.com/about_the_mbta/default.asp?id=6442454743

I filled it out because what the hell, why not. But I'm curious to know whether they get enough people responding to constitute a sufficient sample size to do anything useful with it.
I'm an outsider, but I have to believe that it really helps in the case of mixed mode trips, particularly those that mix payment and mixed mode trips (like bike-to-transit and CR-to-CharlieCard)

Definitely. Any trip done with a serialized electronic fare media (i.e, CharlieCard and CharlieTicket) where it actually gets tapped/shoved in the farebox - we already have good data for that. MIT, doing research for the T, has the ability to aggregate that into inferred trips (that's actually what my research uses). But that doesn't get:

*Ashmont-Mattapan Line (because no tracking data is available)
*Commuter Rail, MBTA Boat, and the 700-series buses
*Non-MBTA modes like the Logan buses, Hubway, EZRide, etc
*Walking and private biking
*Charlietickets shown to the driver rather than inserted

Definitely. Any trip done with a serialized electronic fare media (i.e, CharlieCard and CharlieTicket) where it actually gets tapped/shoved in the farebox - we already have good data for that. MIT, doing research for the T, has the ability to aggregate that into inferred trips (that's actually what my research uses). But that doesn't get:

*Ashmont-Mattapan Line (because no tracking data is available)
*Commuter Rail, MBTA Boat, and the 700-series buses
*Non-MBTA modes like the Logan buses, Hubway, EZRide, etc
*Walking and private biking
*Charlietickets shown to the driver rather than inserted

Glad I filled it out, then. I'm in one of those modes that isn't captured in one direction: I show a monthly pass to the D line driver when boarding the rear door. Heading home they can capture my data as I enter through a turnstile.

They had an option to allow them to track one's card by number. I'd have been happy to allow it but my company is switching to a new method of monthly passes, so I'm going to have a new monthly card as of January 1. They'd have been tracking a dead card.

Keolis AMA right now on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/boston/comments/3w3fu5/we_operate_the_mbta_commuter_rail_ask_us_anything/

In the room are: - Gerald Francis, General Manager - Franck Dubourdieu, Deputy General Manager - Ronan Coatanea, Director of Customer Service - Kennon Foster, Director of Quality and Performance Improvement - Scott Treece, Chief Transportation Officer - Jonathan and Rich from Operations

Just got an awesome response on if the higher ups at Keolis use the CR/public transit:
How many of your senior managers take the train every day to work?

[–]AskMBTACommuterRail 3 points 7 minutes ago
I bike to work from Cambridge. - FD
I ride the Old Colony on a daily basis. - ST
Greenbush for me. I've taken the train for over 20 years!- Rich I ride the Lowell line 1-3 times a week. The first inbound from Wedgemere. - RC
I come in from Worcester. - Jonathan
Middleboro Line. - Kennon
The question isn't whether we ride or not, it's whether we care. And we do. - FD

Cross-posted from here.

Can we use the LED ceiling signs on the Subways & CR to deliver delay information?

Right now the signs mostly have 2 dimensions of information:
[Next stop:][Harvard Square]
[Entering][Park Street]

What if we could "insert" new information in that first position?

[Delays at][Harvard Square]
[Disabled train at][Park Street]
[Ill Passenger at][Wood Island]

Sure would be better than garbled PA.

Related to this... These chyrons are so terribly inconsistent on all modes in Boston as are the automated announcements. Is it a case of faulty hardware/software or is it simply operators who can't be bothered to reset the system?

I regularly see people unfamiliar with the transit map get very confused by a train that said (for example) "Entering JKF/UMass" as it's pulling in to Kendall...

RL train went 4 stops this morning without an operator:

"A Red Line train left Braintree Station without an operator Thursday morning, according to MBTA officials, who say they are investigating a report of tampering involving a safety device."

"A Red Line train left Braintree Station without an operator Thursday morning, according to MBTA officials, who say they are investigating a report of tampering involving a safety device."

The first step in decreasing the T's reliance on its biggest expense: wages. Haha.

From Twitter:

A Red Line driver related to the train with a driver was "brushed by a train" and sustained injuries, according to @MBTA spox Joe Pesaturo.

Passenger speaking to Fox says there was something tied to the lever that conducts the speed of the train when the conductor left #MBTA

Sources tell #7News' @CherylFiandaca MBTA employee got off train to check something; may not have secured brakes

Maybe we should rename the title of this thread to:

"Driven by No One in Particular"

In all seriousness, can we assume at some point this train would have jumped a red signal and came to a stop on its own? Or are all of the safety devices interconnected and could all be affected by one tampering incident?

A brief taste of the glory that is ATO! If only...

There aren't any emergency signals that will trip up a runaway train? They actually have to shut down the 3rd rail to get the train to stop?

Assuming that the tampering didn't disable anything - and this looks to be more on the level of tying-a-lever-down - then then train would have gotten stopped either when it got within a few signal blocks of another train, or an enforced speed restriction.

I suspect the third rail shutdown was used to 100% guarantee the train would stop no matter what the tampering had been (or if a person had been in the cab - they couldn't have known.)

Assuming that the tampering didn't disable anything - and this looks to be more on the level of tying-a-lever-down - then then train would have gotten stopped either when it got within a few signal blocks of another train, or an enforced speed restriction.

I suspect the third rail shutdown was used to 100% guarantee the train would stop no matter what the tampering had been (or if a person had been in the cab - they couldn't have known.)

Latest story says FBI is involved in the investigation -- could be significant or just a "Sign of the Jittery Times"

Latest story says FBI is involved in the investigation -- could be significant or just a "Sign of the Jittery Times"

Charlie's noon presser confirmed the FBI is not involved.

I thought that T had a "dead man's lever" or whatever it's called. Shouldn't it be impossible for the train to run on its own?

I thought that T had a "dead man's lever" or whatever it's called. Shouldn't it be impossible for the train to run on its own?
Yes--and hence the early reports that the controls had been tampered/manipulated.

Back