General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Typical limousine liberal party line bullshit from Newton:

Why does the state Democratic party continue to advocate for idiotic infrastructure investments (train to Springfield)? Gimme a break.

From the Globe

It's not at all a Democratic thing. Baker is still throwing money into the SCR shredder, remember.

Proposition Joe is exactly right. What the non-Boston regions need is new/expanded local bus service, mostly, as well as state-of-good-repair stuff and interchange modernization, truck stop and freight rail investments, etc.. We shouldn't only be spending money in Boston, but the sexy spending should be ALL in Boston.

It makes sense if the mbta was already in good shape, I mean massachusetts is a densely populated state in the entire eastern half. But they don't even have their shit together in Boston, where it would have the most impact, and that's why it looks like nonsense.

If it we were to look at transit as an economic driver, prioritizing by overall impact would be a wise choice.

A potential plus I can think of for a Springfield train (if it is truly a "bullet train") is that 2/3 of the route could be used as part of a New Haven-Hartford-Worcester-Boston NEC reroute. But the the logic here should be "If we're already doing Boston-Hartford, it might be worthwhile to build a branch to Springfield," rather than "We should build a route to Springfield, and it might become worthwhile if NEC runs on the corridor."

A potential plus I can think of for a Springfield train (if it is truly a "bullet train") is that 2/3 of the route could be used as part of a New Haven-Hartford-Worcester-Boston NEC reroute. But the the logic here should be "If we're already doing Boston-Hartford, it might be worthwhile to build a branch to Springfield," rather than "We should build a route to Springfield, and it might become worthwhile if NEC runs on the corridor."

The issue there is that it's not an efficient way to reach Boston. The existing NEC corridor in MA is already upgraded to 150mph and sees no conflicts from freight. The corridor between Worcester and Springfield, by contrast, is probably the most important freight rail corridor in MA.

The issue there is that it's not an efficient way to reach Boston. The existing NEC corridor in MA is already upgraded to 150mph and sees no conflicts from freight.

The issue with the current routing is in Connecticut and the residents around the existing route in SW CT have shown staunch resistance to straightening out the route there. The other alternative would be building a new corridor from Hartford to Providence. This would be ideal, but since there is no existing major piece of infrastructure (eg an interstate or existing rail corridor) for it to follow, it would also likely meet a greet deal of local resistance.

The corridor between Worcester and Springfield, by contrast, is probably the most important freight rail corridor in MA.

If we're building any sort of high-speed rail infrastructure in that part of the state, it would primarily be on a new corridor (mostly along the Pike).

The other alternative would be building a new corridor from Hartford to Providence. This would be ideal, but since there is no existing major piece of infrastructure (eg an interstate or existing rail corridor) for it to follow, it would also likely meet a greet deal of local resistance.

This is better covered in the Regional Rail and HSR threads, but Hartford-Providence has had a fair amount of alignment studies done for various I-84 and I-384 proposals over the years. Not sure if ConnDOT or RIDOT actually have easements or own land, but the alignment is definitely more studied than the FRA's tunneling campaign along the coast or a Springfield-Worcester air line. To that end, placing both Hartford and Providence on the HSR spine not only seems politically favorable, it also may be the easiest to do from a ROW standpoint.

Anyway, maybe we should move "Springfield Bullet Train" discussions to the Regional Rail thread?

Because the rest of the state has a massive chip on its soldier in regards to Boston. There is a perception that Boston sucks up state resources and amenities at the expense of the other parts of the state, which causes a spiteful political response that favors disinvestment in urban needs like transit.

There is a very real consolidation of wealth and new employment opportunities in certain cities like Boston, but that has a lot more to do with inherent problems with capitalism than any state policies. A lazy response to this consolidation is to build connections to Boston (Springfield-Boston and South Coast rail), when really the better options have to do with making better investments and choices in the Gateway Cities.

It also makes sense to promise infrastructure upgrades in other parts of the state when you are running a state-wide campaign. Of course, the Knowledge Corridor commuter rail is a much better large infrastructure investment for that region. The best investments for the other regions in the state involve increased RTA funding, bus and bike lanes, eliminating parking minimums and changing zoning, but those aren't sexy and don't come with high enough dollar values to balance out the pissed of car users.

Much better said than my rant.

This is better covered in the Regional Rail and HSR threads, but Hartford-Providence has had a fair amount of alignment studies done for various I-84 and I-384 proposals over the years. Not sure if ConnDOT or RIDOT actually have easements or own land, but the alignment is definitely more studied than the FRA's tunneling campaign along the coast or a Springfield-Worcester air line. To that end, placing both Hartford and Providence on the HSR spine not only seems politically favorable, it also may be the easiest to do from a ROW standpoint.

CTDOT does, or at least did have the easements/ownership of the parcels mostly lined up. The issue then becomes that the horizontal curvature for an 80mph highway is not compatible with a 160+mph rail line, requiring the purchase of more land anyway.

woTvKxI.png

I wish I could find more, but this image was from a presentation(ironically) on the database listing surplus parcels for sale by the DOT.

https://www.irwaonline.org/eweb/upload/Hartford2014/2014 Presentations/Tuesday/Tech_in_ConnDOT_1.pdf
https://www.irwaonline.org/eweb/upload/Hartford2014/2014 Presentations/Tuesday/Tech_in_ConnDOT_2.pdf

But I can tell you from experience, that BB Orange to Blue to Airport Bus is significantly faster than using the Silver Line. That facacca route to the Ted Williams is a big time killer (and you don't get stuck in tunnel traffic).

If you're at BB Orange, just walk to Copley (stops in front of Hynes and BPL) and take the Back Bay Logan Express. Back Bay to Airport Terminals in 20 minutes.

https://www.massport.com/logan-airport/to-and-from-logan/logan-express/back-bay/

I didn't realize they were still running that bus. I was under the impression it was put in place for the Government Center closure, and would end when Government Center reopened. Clearly still running!

I think it is hugely successful. I've taken it a couple of times (reduced fare with a Charlie Card) and it always seems to be pretty empty so I don't know where that's coming from. It may just be that community has pull.

Yup it's still running! Now that Gov Ctr is open again, the bus is no longer free for MBTA pass holders, but they do still get a discount ($3.00 w/ MBTA pass vs $7.50 w/ no pass.) I have seen this bus pretty full at times, but much of the time there are only a few people on it. I noticed that when you use Google Maps for transit directions, it doesn't know about this route, so I emailed Massport to see if they could publish it (the schedule at least) to Google. It would also be nice if there was integrated payment between the T and Massport shuttles, but that's a whole other issue. Perhaps with AFC 2.0 this will be possible.

The MBTA has released ridership numbers for the period of time when the fairmount line was free.

Apparently, ridership increased about 25% from base numbers in the first week of the program, and by the second week were up 44% from base. These gains didn't continue after the free fares program was dropped.

Wonder what the commuter rail will do with this data.

Source: http://mbta.com/about_the_mbta/news_events/?id=6442458206&month=&year=

Need more info though. Could just be people who would normally take Hyde Park or Readville (Franklin line) decided to take the Fairmount line because the price was right.

Need more info though. Could just be people who would normally take Hyde Park or Readville (Franklin line) decided to take the Fairmount line because the price was right.

I would expect them to have monthly passes though, which shouldn't really effect this. Also, I would think that anyone doing this based on price would have a long time ago - the other stops are Zone 1 ($200.25 a month) vs 1a which is only $84.50.

Also, I would think that anyone doing this based on price would have a long time ago - the other stops are Zone 1 ($200.25 a month) vs 1a which is only $84.50.

That is true of Hyde Park vs Fairmont, but Readville is Zone 2 in both lines.

I think the real question is as simple as: "What were ridership numbers in the two weeks that FOLLOWED the free trial? Did free trials produce a lasting change in behavior?"

All we know is that the free trial is some kind of upper bound on ridership ("how many would ride transit if it were free?"...though I suppose if we paid people to ride it could go higher ;-)

So I would have liked the free trial to have continued until free ridership leveled off (growing by, say <5%/wk) ...a sign that everyone who might be induced/educated had, in fact, tried it.

For now all we know is that by week 2 we'd changed behavior & educated twice as many people as week 1 did...how much further could it have pressed?

Back