General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Auburndale's parking lot is tiny. People there could easily drive to Riverside or Wellesley Farms, but chose not to:

The Wellesley stations are very inconvenient and out-of-the-way from the highways. Riverside is only helpful if you want to take the Green Line. Not very convenient for those traveling to South Station: that would be a hike! What’s needed is a convenient Commuter Rail park-n-ride.

The Wellesley stations are very inconvenient and out-of-the-way from the highways. Riverside is only helpful if you want to take the Green Line. Not very convenient for those traveling to South Station: that would be a hike! What’s needed is a convenient Commuter Rail park-n-ride.

Yeah looks like just about a mile walk, which probably isn't viable for most. Maybe a shuttle bus or something from Riverside to Auburndale, but that probably isn't that convenient either, as we are talking drive/ride into Riverside, transfer to bus (or 15-20 minutes walk), switch to the CR and then to South Station (and w/e connections or walk needed from there). Might still be better than the feasibility of getting more land around the CR stops for parking, though.

Alewife to $10... ouch. That'll probably get people to drive in to Cambridge more.

Auburndale's parking lot is tiny. People there could easily drive to Riverside or Wellesley Farms, but chose not to. I remember seeing plenty of cars parked out on the street too nearby, I assumed they were freeloaders.

West Newton has a big lot.

Yeah looks like just about a mile walk, which probably isn't viable for most. Maybe a shuttle bus or something from Riverside to Auburndale, but that probably isn't that convenient either, as we are talking drive/ride into Riverside, transfer to bus (or 15-20 minutes walk), switch to the CR and then to South Station (and w/e connections or walk needed from there). Might still be better than the feasibility of getting more land around the CR stops for parking, though.

I think you misunderstand me. I am talking about a new station in a different location. I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about.

Excellent summary.

Very good to see that theyre looking at every station individually like that.

Painting a $5 brush across the system makes zero sense.

Alewife is always like 30% full on weekends, so $3 is good to see.

Wellesley Farms really isn't that bad from 128. It would be a pain from the Pike given that you would have to get on 128 first even though it'd be only one exit. Anything more convenient would basically be Riverside.

Anything more convenient would basically be Riverside.

Exactly. That's the point. Riverside serves park-n-ride commuters well for the Green Line. The Worcester Line is severely lacking in this area (park-n-ride commuters).

The Commuter Rail is <30 minutes to South Station. Taking the Green Line from Riverside Downtown is at best an hour, and not a viable option. Riverside serves those headed to Brookline, Longwood, etc. That is a different group of people.

Those living outside of catchment areas of transit need a park n ride that's accessible from the higway, not clogging city streets to access, and has a fast trip Downtown. That isn't Riverside (not fast), nor is it the Wellesleys or Auburndale (it fails the other two qualifications).

The system should be set up to encourage mass transit use among those commuting Downtown from Weston, northern Waltham, Lexington, Lincoln, Sudbury, and Wayland. Right now, their options are:

• Drive Downtown on the already over-crowded Pike.
  • Clog already over-crowded suburban side streets in Wellesley or Auburndale to park at small, overcrowded, expensive parking lots.
  • Drive all the way into Alewife and park in an already overcrowded, and now getting rightfully more expensive Alewife garage (after contending with and going out of their way for Route 2 traffic).
  • Park at Riverside and take an absurdly long and slow ride into town.

You see how none of these options are good enough, right?

There are obvious solutions. Some are more feasible than others. Taking an expensive, full-build route, you could see the Red Line extended out to 128. You could have a N-S Rail Link and a large 128 park-n-ride on the Fitchburg Line. But, more feasibly, there is an opportunity for a park-n-ride with parking garages and good highway access near 128/Pike on the Worcester Line.

You understand the unserved need that serves, right?

Those living outside of catchment areas of transit need a park n ride that's accessible from the higway, not clogging city streets to access, and has a fast trip Downtown. That isn't Riverside (not fast), nor is it the Wellesleys or Auburndale (it fails the other two qualifications).

It's a mile and a half, anything closer that isn't Riverside just isn't feasible. You could run Commuter Rail trains from Riverside as mentioned if they wanted to.

It's a mile and a half, anything closer that isn't Riverside just isn't feasible. You could run Commuter Rail trains from Riverside as mentioned if they wanted to.

I think we're talking past each other. The location of the new infill station would be somewhere between track-mile 10.7 and 11.5 on the Worcester Line. What does the proximity to Riverside have to do with feasibility? It's on a different ROW.

I think you misunderstand me. I am talking about a new station in a different location. I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about.

Ah, I thought you meant from Riverside it would be a hike to walk to say Auburndale Station to grab the CR to South Station, when, in fact, I would guess you mean its a hike taking the Green into South Station from Riverside.

Ah, I thought you meant from Riverside it would be a hike to walk to say Auburndale Station to grab the CR to South Station, when, in fact, I would guess you mean its a hike taking the Green into South Station from Riverside.

Ah yes. I probably shouldn't have used the term "hike" as that evokes an image of a long walk.

I think we're talking past each other. The location of the new infill station would be somewhere between track-mile 10.7 and 11.5 on the Worcester Line.

On Recreation Road? That would be a tough sell that it would be worth it compared to what's there now.

What does the proximity to Riverside have to do with feasibility? It's on a different ROW.

There are tracks at Riverside which connect into the Worcester Line but would need upgrading for real use. I think they use the tracks today for testing and training purposes.

Indigo Line or short-turn service to Riverside would be cool and not something that was on my mind when proposing the infill station. That's a good point!

• Alewife, Braintree, and Quincy Adams will go from $7 to $10 on weekdays and $3 on weekends.

I thought Braintree typically filled up pretty early in the morning whereas Quincy Adams tends to never fill up. If that's the case, why are they still the same price as each other? It seems like some of the Braintree parking users should be getting a financial incentive to park at Quincy Adams instead.

• Two suburban Commuter Rail stations jump out at me for the same reason: Littleton/Route 495 and South Attleboro. Their lots are going up in price on weekdays (from $4 to $6). They are park-and-ride oriented stations next to highways, and serve to take cars of the road and convince highway drivers to "park and ride." If the price of parking gets too high, they do not serve their purpose, and turn people away. If the parking lots are full, they also turn people away. These stations have become very popular, which is great! But, to adequately serve their purpose, they are both in need of parking garages to increase the amount of parking.

It would probably be better to figure out how to run feeder buses that some of the parking users would find more convenient than parking.

• Red Line Extension. Alewife will go from $7 to $10 on weekdays due to high demand. This was never meant to be the end of the line, and the strain is showing. A lot of commuters are coming from Arlington, Belmont, Lexington, Waltham, etc, and parking here. Extending the Red Line to Arlington would be a start. Ultimately, similar to the Orange Line, the Red Line needs to be extended to 128 (either in Waltham or Lexington).

Belmont and Waltham will be getting better bicycling options to Alewife as the Mass Central Rail Trail construction proceeds. Arlington and Lexington folks can already take the Minuteman.

That's impressive that South Attleboro is filling up that easily. It's a pretty big lot, and you're talking $330/month plus the now higher parking fees.

Many people drive from Arlington, Lexington, and Bedford to park at Alewife (especially in the winter). There’s no reason to believe Belmont and Waltham would be any different. The Minuteman and Mass Central/Wayside are great things. Many people do bike to Alewife and that’s great! But bike infrastructure is not enough for those towns. Arlington would be well-served by the Red Line. Extending the Red Line to Arlington Center (cut-and-cover under Minuteman, for example) would be a net positive for regional connectivity and would alleviate a bit of pressure from Alewife parking. Improving transit connection in belmont, Waltham, and Lexington would do even more to that end, especially if there was a park and ride (either Commuter Rail or Red Line) at 128 in those communities. Some people don’t, won’t, and or can’t bike 12 months a year in this region. And that’s okay.

My 2 cents - in theory I like the idea of dynamic pricing but intuition tells me the mbta adjusted the thresholds so they could hide the reality that this is a fairly large cost increase for commuters overall. The net result is that the mbta project millions of dollars of extra revenue to be paid by the commuters as result of these changes.

For example, I park a Riverside lot for the D line usually 2 or 3 times a week. The parking lot is typically maybe 60% full during the day, yet they plan to keep the rate the same at $6 a day. Reading the headlines, I would be under the impression that the they would be lowering the price of parking until the lot nears capacity. The amount of cars parking in riverside has apparently decreased in recent years - when the rate went from approx. $3 a day to $5.75 (then up to $6 shortly thereafter).

From a public policy point of view, the cost of mass transit for commuters using it to commute the suburbs to the city should be at level to incentivize people to use it. I'm all for congestion pricing for single occupancy cars and dynamic parking pricing on parking meters etc. but this seems a bit aggressive for commuters trying to use mass transit for their daily commute.

On Recreation Road? That would be a tough sell that it would be worth it compared to what's there now.

There are tracks at Riverside which connect into the Worcester Line but would need upgrading for real use. I think they use the tracks today for testing and training purposes.

Well, we’re really into transit pitches here, but what about taking something out of that office park on Riverside Rd? And/or deck over 128 just north of where the CR tracks cross it. That said, putting all the extra ramps everywhere would be a nightmare (I second guess myself on the Braintree split ramps to this day, and I travel that nearly daily).

What about Recreation Rd? It already has good ramp access to/from I-95 S/N and I-90 E/W, as well as undeveloped land.

Back