General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

They've been bustituting on the weekends north of Harvard to replace the concrete under the rails. Wonder if today is related to that.

https://www.mbta.com/projects/red-line-floating-slab-maintenance

Probably something to do with that. This is the actual message (still in effect, apparently):

"Due to a track condition discovered during an inspection and out of an abundance of caution, trains are operating at reduced speeds southbound between Harvard and Central. There are delays up to 15 minutes in both directions due to the restriction."

I'm guessing this will be an all day nuisance. Maybe even into tomorrow.

Stupid question.

How is the Pay by Phone parking system enforced? Do they just drive though the lots a few times a day and check license plates?

Stupid question.

How is the Pay by Phone parking system enforced? Do they just drive though the lots a few times a day and check license plates?

Probably not even that, maybe just once at like 10 or something.

Wellington lot they check a couple of times a day and transit police sweep once or twice a week (I've seen actual tickets for more general violations like expired inspection stickers) but the enforcement is not very rigorous. Last time I checked right after the price hike last fall it was possible to park for free around and after the evening rush. You could catch a game at the garden without being dinged.

Last time I checked right after the price hike last fall it was possible to park for free around and after the evening rush. You could catch a game at the garden without being dinged.

Parking should be free for arrivals after 5:00. Most of the lots are at 10-20% utilization by 7:00, might as well incentivize additional off-peak ridership.

Parking should be free for arrivals after 5:00. Most of the lots are at 10-20% utilization by 7:00, might as well incentivize additional off-peak ridership.

At least they lowered prices on weekends, though as you said it honestly should be free for many MBTA lots on Saturdays/Sundays.

Latest massDOT presentation may have well have just said there is no weekend service on any line anymore. I see Blue line weekend diversions, Orange Line weekend diversions, Green Line B/C/D diversions, Chelsea commuter rail diversions, Worcester line diversions. Also Orange Line northern track replacement? Must have missed that one in the news

Last edited:
I think mis-allocation of government spending (federal and otherwise), as well as inefficiencies and poor cost control are all problems and not mutually exclusive. And all of these issues affect the MBTA.

Updated my phrasing slightly but its still pretty clear what I'm talking about, look at the photos, read the rest of the post.

Yes, I see, I just don't see how you go from what's in the pictures to the ludicrous claim of "there is no weekend service on any line anymore."

For example, the Orange Line track replacement is apparently already ongoing. And, lo and behold, while there is a platform change at Wellington, service continues to run.

Likewise, the Green Line diversions are also ongoing and the most severe is weekend suspension of the C line for about 4 weekends scattered over the month of April.

Did they say anything more about how the Blue Line project will work? Will it shut down both tracks between Aquarium and Maverick?

Was there any elaboration on the Chelsea Station project? Anything to suggest that the whole line would need to be shut down?

Was there any elaboration on the 1-90 air rights project? Any discussion of impact to the rail lines there? Again, especially at weekends, a reduction to single track would not force a suspension of service.

Plus, there's the Red Line, Silver Line and half a dozen commuter rail lines that aren't mentioned anywhere here.

So, yeah -- that's why I'm asking, how you go from a) the pictures you shared to b) "there is no weekend service on any line anymore."

Yes, I see, I just don't see how you go from what's in the pictures to the ludicrous claim of "there is no weekend service on any line anymore."

For example, the Orange Line track replacement is apparently already ongoing. And, lo and behold, while there is a platform change at Wellington, service continues to run.

Likewise, the Green Line diversions are also ongoing and the most severe is weekend suspension of the C line for about 4 weekends scattered over the month of April.

Did they say anything more about how the Blue Line project will work? Will it shut down both tracks between Aquarium and Maverick?

Was there any elaboration on the Chelsea Station project? Anything to suggest that the whole line would need to be shut down?

Was there any elaboration on the 1-90 air rights project? Any discussion of impact to the rail lines there? Again, especially at weekends, a reduction to single track would not force a suspension of service.

Plus, there's the Red Line, Silver Line and half a dozen commuter rail lines that aren't mentioned anywhere here.

So, yeah -- that's why I'm asking, how you go from a) the pictures you shared to b) "there is no weekend service on any line anymore."

You must be fun at parties Jesus, ever heard of exaggeration to make a point? Was simply saying the next three years or so will be a mess of weekend service diversions. And no, the Northern OL track replacement hasn't begun but they include the third track work in their little timeline

I was looking at the MBTA's contracts section and noticed "reopen the Temple Place stairs on Tremont Street" as part of the upcoming Park St improvements project. I assume they'll be making these vents/skylights into stairs? https://goo.gl/maps/AHUX3da8MaU2

http://bc.mbta.com/business_center/bidding_solicitations/bid_responses/?cnumber=A49CN01

Good catch! Yep.

https://www.wardmaps.com/viewasset.php?aid=19446

4049811894b01e7e086da0cc05a53e5f333c1c5bbff60598ee96d567364b237fca37470a.jpg

Thats cool that theyll do that

My guess is that with AFC 2.0, you no longer need to limit the number of entrances since they won't require nearly as much to operate (vending machines, gates, etc).

Also, this entrance makes the Silver Line connection on Temple Pl more straightforward, which I bet was one of the major factors in reopening it.

Back