General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Re: Driven By Customer 'Service' Parte Dos

^ That's true after 1030pm, but from the start of the service day until then the 57 provides service just as frequently as a Green Line branch.

Bus troll! Do you also wholeheartedly support the Silver Line?

^ That's true after 1030pm, but from the start of the service day until then the 57 provides service just as frequently as a Green Line branch.

It provides service to Kenmore. Which is not in the Back Bay or downtown.

While it may be scheduled to run frequently, like the elusive #1 bus, it travels in flocks of 3 to 6.

/raspberry

(And, for what it's worth, after 10:30 pm is perhaps an ideal time for those wacky hippies living out that way who want/need the bus to be running......yet it never shows up on anything resembling a schedule.)

The feds handed out 1.8 billion in new starts funding today.

10 BRT plans got money.

We could have gotten something for the 28x, but NIMBYs complained, and instead of the state pushing forward, they simply gave up.

Instead, Massachusetts gets a few dollars for the Assembly Square station, and nothing else.

The feds also said that 2010 is the last year SIlver Line Phase 3 will be listed as a consideration. If Massachusetts doesnt fund part of it, they will not consider it ever again.

Source:
http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/...tal-projects-recommended-for-major-financing/

It provides service to Kenmore. Which is not in the Back Bay or downtown.

True, which is why I didn't challenge Ron's point there. I only challenged the notion that the 57 provides less frequent service than the Green Line.

While it may be scheduled to run frequently, like the elusive #1 bus, it travels in flocks of 3 to 6.

You've apparently never used the B or E lines if you think this is a problem unique to buses.

You might also want to take a ride on the Green Line trolley system between Kenmore and Govt Ctr during rush hour. I'm not sure how many passengers using this congested subway system would recommend the addition of 10 more trolleys per hour from Watertown as the remedy for what ails them.

(And, for what it's worth, after 10:30 pm is perhaps an ideal time for those wacky hippies living out that way who want/need the bus to be running......yet it never shows up on anything resembling a schedule.)

Do the hippies only consult the schedule for the every 20 minute 57 bus, or are they also consulting it for the every 14 minute B Line trolley, and if so, how do they report that its performing?

And if they're really hippies would they care anyway? And why on earth are they living in Watertown or Newton Corner?

I think you could probably run enough trains to serve a restored A line if you ran three car trains on all the Green Line branches. That would give you more capacity and allow you to divert enough trains to the A line to serve that need, without needing to add more trains to the line (which is pretty much impossible at rush hour anyway).

I need a train closer to the Kells.

And if they're really hippies would they care anyway? And why on earth are they living in Watertown or Newton Corner?

I ride the T all day between my office, meetings and home (Audobon Circle, Copley, downtown.) I'm well aware of the shortcomings.

Green Line: how about:

- 3 car trains
- better maintenance of trains and switches
- less frequent (but ON TIME) service (3 car trains!)
- eliminate some surface level stops
- union members on platforms streamlining boarding and not hiding in the pod
- being honest about the schedules (they're a formality used to determine breaktimes for the union)

This is nothing new.

And plenty of my hippie friends live in Newton and Watertown.

I ride the T all day between my office, meetings and home (Audobon Circle, Copley, downtown.) I'm well aware of the shortcomings.

Green Line: how about:

- 3 car trains
- better maintenance of trains and switches
- less frequent (but ON TIME) service (3 car trains!)
- eliminate some surface level stops
- union members on platforms streamlining boarding and not hiding in the pod
- being honest about the schedules (they're a formality used to determine breaktimes for the union)

This is nothing new.

And plenty of my hippie friends live in Newton and Watertown.

On top of that....remove the T driver from the second (and third) cars. Add fair collection devices to the poles on the doors in the back. Open all the doors all the time. Have random undercover T police ride the trains and ticket fair evaders. Have a true POP system. It most likely costs more to keep that guy sitting in the back car than the total sum of all paying customers getting on board.

boom....revenue!

I think they should look at putting Charlie machines at every or every other station. That was people can add value and buy passes. I know they put signs up of where to get them, but in most cases the stores listed are at another stop, or a decent walk away.

^ Or put turnstiles at the trolley stops as well? It's not like this is impossible. The trams in Istanbul operate this way, with one driver per train and a lot more efficiency than the Green Line.

^ Or put turnstiles at the trolley stops as well? It's not like this is impossible. The trams in Istanbul operate this way, with one driver per train and a lot more efficiency than the Green Line.

Gates are an enormous waste of money.

How many hundreds of millions did the T spend on the new gates, when simple "touch here" sensors do the same job?

Don't you need the gates so that people have a reason to "touch here"?

I'm pretty sure there would be an offset from firing all but one of the Green Line drivers that would justify the cost of gates.

Don't you need the gates so that people have a reason to "touch here"?

I'm pretty sure there would be an offset from firing all but one of the Green Line drivers that would justify the cost of gates.

Nope.

ethniki-amyna-metro-station.jpg

This is athens.

We already have a half-POP system. We could have saved hundreds of millions by making it ALL POP.

Remember, London only has fare gates downtown. Everywhere else, you tap, and there's no barrier.

What happens when people walk through without tapping?

What happens when people walk through without tapping?

In europe, cash penalty if caught. And not an MBTA $15 joke penalty. The nice policeman or employee will walk you to an ATM to withdraw 300 or so euros. If you dont have any money in the ATM, you will be billed 50% more.

In London, if you enter the system without tapping, you cant exit downtown, because the gates force you to tap out. Paris as well. So you need to jump the turnstile (or storm the gate) on both ends in paris. But paris takes fare evasion seriously. The barriers are turnstiles AND a gate, so you can't jump it, AND they conduct checks. I was even asked to show an ID to prove that I was eligible for the youth (under 25) day pass.

Japan also uses the gate-less system in the less urban areas.

Last time I was in Ashmont (over a year ago), they were using the very same system. Simply a validator attached to a pole, no gates.

What the MBTA should do is remove every second operator in the system that isnt doing anything, and reassign them to check fares (because we all know they cant be fired). We already spent a stupid amount of money on the gates, but why continue to spend so much on maintaining them? If they break, let them sit open but keep the tapping mechanism.

All I want is trains to run on time. That's it. You understand, right?

^^Vote Mussolini 2012!

Gates are an enormous waste of money.

How many hundreds of millions did the T spend on the new gates, when simple "touch here" sensors do the same job?

They actually do have that on surface stations but it's retarded because it prints out a receipt that tells you to show the driver so you can get in. The problem with these is that you don't know who tapped their cards on the sensor without seeing their receipts and the only way to do that is if you show it to the driver, at the first door.

Or you do what a lot of cities do by using random checks with large fines attached

In europe, cash penalty if caught. And not an MBTA $15 joke penalty. The nice policeman or employee will walk you to an ATM to withdraw 300 or so euros. If you dont have any money in the ATM, you will be billed 50% more.

In London, if you enter the system without tapping, you cant exit downtown, because the gates force you to tap out. Paris as well. So you need to jump the turnstile (or storm the gate) on both ends in paris. But paris takes fare evasion seriously. The barriers are turnstiles AND a gate, so you can't jump it, AND they conduct checks. I was even asked to show an ID to prove that I was eligible for the youth (under 25) day pass.

Japan also uses the gate-less system in the less urban areas.

Last time I was in Ashmont (over a year ago), they were using the very same system. Simply a validator attached to a pole, no gates.

What the MBTA should do is remove every second operator in the system that isnt doing anything, and reassign them to check fares (because we all know they cant be fired). We already spent a stupid amount of money on the gates, but why continue to spend so much on maintaining them? If they break, let them sit open but keep the tapping mechanism.

Yea.....like an MBTA employee is going to go out of their way to check on things like that. I walk by the Charlie Card kiosks at South Station every day and laugh at how annoyed the workers are that arriving tourists ask them simple questions!

Back