General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Re: Driven By Customer 'Service' Parte Dos

Hong Kong does it too and recycles the paper charlie card.

Um, that "Good" website is really awesome. How can I have never seen that before? I'll have to add that to the daily list.

Yea.....like an MBTA employee is going to go out of their way to check on things like that. I walk by the Charlie Card kiosks at South Station every day and laugh at how annoyed the workers are that arriving tourists ask them simple questions!

Yeah, I don't see an honor system with random checks being practical on the T. You're going to have inspectors going around the Green Line at rush hour, when people are all sandwiched together, and have them check ticket validations? When, as the website linked to above points out, trips on the T are the shortest on average of any major US transit system? (And if they don't ever go through at that time, you're going to risk most of the T's ridership evading fares?)

I've only seen this system work on really high capacity to ridership ratio networks like Berlin, where it isn't a huge pain to work through the train and catch offenders.

Yeah, I don't see an honor system with random checks being practical on the T. You're going to have inspectors going around the Green Line at rush hour, when people are all sandwiched together, and have them check ticket validations? When, as the website linked to above points out, trips on the T are the shortest on average of any major US transit system? (And if they don't ever go through at that time, you're going to risk most of the T's ridership evading fares?)

I've only seen this system work on really high capacity to ridership ratio networks like Berlin, where it isn't a huge pain to work through the train and catch offenders.

What makes Boston so different that the honor system, which is in use in probably hundreds of cities, can't work here?

1) Of course the employees don't give a shit now, it's not their job. Their job is to a) "drive" the train and b) open doors.

2) No, you couldnt do it on the green line at rush hour....on the train. But people transfer. If someone gets on without paying at harvard Ave, you can still catch them at park street when theyre waiting for the red line.

Your complaints are that it won't work right now. The reason it doesnt work now is because they have TWO guys checking fares in the entire system. There was a globe piece about this.

Look how the T stands up to the other major transit systems. Slow Speed= B, C, E line.

http://awesome.good.is/transparency/web/1002/ibm-rail/flash.html

Based on the 480k ridership figure, I'd say that doesn't include the Green Line.

So yes, kind of pathetic, but jass is right that the shorter distances still apply to the heavy rail lines. Only out by Quincy/Braintree do you get anything approximating suburban DC metro or the BART.

To be honest, I can't imagine a system where rent-a-cops check tickets on the T. The CharlieCard was one of the biggest successes, why can't we stick with that and expand it to all modes of MBTA transport, at all stations?

What happens when people walk through without tapping?

nothing in Vienna, at least when I went. We paid for tickets the first few rides, but seeing that no one did it and we missed a few trains waiting for them to print out, we just decided to free ride. There were zero checks the entire time I was there, though imo this was a plus, it seemed like a very nice system, a true public service benefiting large amounts of people at once for no cost, and of course I wish we could have this here (in Prague there were checks though, things seem a little bit more strict there, and we were obvious tourists).

nothing in Vienna, at least when I went. We paid for tickets the first few rides, but seeing that no one did it and we missed a few trains waiting for them to print out, we just decided to free ride. There were zero checks the entire time I was there, though imo this was a plus, it seemed like a very nice system, a true public service benefiting large amounts of people at once for no cost, and of course I wish we could have this here (in Prague there were checks though, things seem a little bit more strict there, and we were obvious tourists).

It's a simple cost benefit analysis.

If the ticket costs 1 euro and the fine is 500 euros (in cash).....

They only need to stop you every other month or so to recoup their money.

Boston has a $15 charge for first offense. Unless you get stopped every week, it's more cost effective to not pay your fare. And you know what the penalty in Boston is for not paying your fine? They suspend your license. What kind of incentive is that for those without cars (such as myself) to pay?

To be honest, I can't imagine a system where rent-a-cops check tickets on the T. The CharlieCard was one of the biggest successes, why can't we stick with that and expand it to all modes of MBTA transport, at all stations?

I never said theres anything wrong with the charlie card. The charlie card and the fare gates are independent of each other. One day a month, transit police chooses a green line branch to enforce fare evasion. Two cops (plain clothes) get on with handheld machines to check if you paid.

It's a simple cost benefit analysis.

If the ticket costs 1 euro and the fine is 500 euros (in cash).....

They only need to stop you every other month or so to recoup their money.

Boston has a $15 charge for first offense. Unless you get stopped every week, it's more cost effective to not pay your fare. And you know what the penalty in Boston is for not paying your fine? They suspend your license. What kind of incentive is that for those without cars (such as myself) to pay?

Why should they charge for transportation? It's a human right, it should be free

Free transportation is a human right, one that most of us are born with - legs. There are an unfortunate few, however, that aren't born with this ability.

Why should they charge for transportation? It's a human right, it should be free

Because someone has to pay people to drive the trains and maintain the tracks, and if it's not paid for in fares it will be paid for in higher taxes.

Some combination of taxpayer funding and fare funding is reasonable compromise between people who think public transit should be subsidized by everyone in the state, because it's beneficial to encourage it and its use for many reasons, and those who think the people who use it should pay for it.

I was at South Station today and noticed this. This area has had water leaking in for the last few weeks.

IMG00045-20100209-2002.jpg

Water damage is a huge problem at so many of the newly renovated stations. South Station is particularly bad, as is north station and aquarium. It's a shame better waterproofing methods were not employed. We'll pay for it over time in repairs and substandard conditions.

I guess folks forgot how to build subway stations that don't leak.

I guess folks forgot how to build subway stations that don't leak.

What about all the 'drip runners' in Park St and Boyleston?

Forgot? Find me an old station in New York that doesn't consist of rusty streaks on the walls and weird liquid of indeterminate origin dripping from the ceiling.

Maybe it took a while for things to get to that phase.

Or maybe it's impossible to build a watertight subway station.

(In which case, we should shut our mouths.)

Nothing is impossible. Just takes a lot of effort.

Back