General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Re: Driven By Customer 'Service' Parte Dos

"Fare evasion is not very common."

This new guys a real cracker jack jokester.

The last time I took the commuter rail from Salem to Chelsea, the conductor didn't charge me. I even tried to pay and he said don't worry about it. Maybe he felt bad for me getting off in Chelsea or something.

And just a few hours ago, the conductor never bothered to collect a fare from me from Providence to South Station.

Thats why we need tickets that expire via validation.

Force EVERYONE to validate their ticket before boarding with a machine that stamps date and time. Even if it's not collected, the ticket expires in 2 hours.

You can still buy tickets in advance, but you need to validate them before boarding so that theyre "activated".

I think the most retarded (excuse my language) machinery in the T system are those CharlieCard validation boxes along the street level stops for the Green Line ('D' excluded). Even if you validated it and receive the ticket of validation, you still have to go to the first door and show it to the driver. Fail all around.

And speaking of the Green Line, there needs to be a better way of spacing out trains. Seriously, I hate having to wait at MFA for 10 minutes in the cold only to have the incoming train run express and then wait for another 5 minute for the next train to come during rush hour. Seriously, you do not need to run express if the next train is 5 minutes away. That's about how frequently each train are spaced during rush hour. Driver must have been trying to get to Lechmere as fast as possible for his 2nd coffee break after taking his 1st coffee break at Heath St. That's probably the reason why the trolley was late and had to go "express."

Three car trains are back!

From uhub:

MBTA General Manager Rich Davey reports the first three-car train will pull out of Riverside station 7 a.m. on Monday, with a second to follow at 8:30 a.m. In e-mail, he writes:

"We're starting this up on a trial basis as personnel from the Green Line and Power Department closely monitor the performance of the train and the D branch itself. If all goes well, we plan to increase the number of trips made by 3-car trains and expand the program to the B branch. You are probably aware that the Riverside and Boston College lines are the longest branches of the Green Line. All of the train platforms on the D and B branches can accommodate 3-car train sets."

He says this is the first time the Green Line will see three-car trains in five years. What spurred the return, he said, were comments from a number of customers asking for increased capacity during rush hour, at a "Join the GM" session at Riverside last month.

He adds that in the afternoon, there'll be three-car trains at 4 and 5:40 p.m.

Awesome!

Wait- does this mean they finally cleaned up Copley and the platforms are completely open? Yay!

Copley is still limping along and it looks like they gave up on re-tiling the platforms.

I haven't been able to find anywhere what the actual project at Copley is supposed accomplish inside the stations. Exterior is all being redone and the elevators look about ready, but, yeah, what about inside the stations?

BTW, I did see someone working on tile, this week. One lonely worker. One tile at a time.

F2 - Quincy-Boston_Logan experiencing 15-20 min delays due to fog. 10/25/2010 4:48 PM

I don't know why, but this made me laugh.

Copley station will be officially rededicated Friday at 10:30, according to this blog.

From what I hear, MBTA bus drivers will be going on strike some time tonight.

Where did you hear that? I see a news report about a bus strike in Worcester, but that's not part of the T.

I don't know, I heard it on NECN. All I heard was the words "MBTA", "bus drivers", and "strike" used in the same story.

I don't know, I heard it on NECN. All I heard was the words "MBTA", "bus drivers", and "strike" used in the same story.

This is how unfounded rumors get started.

I have one story about rude behaviour among passengers. The Orange Line train that I was on this past Wednesday was getting ready to leave, when a bunch of college kids deliberately blocked the doors from closing so that some of their friends could be let on.

behaviour?

Where are you from originally?

The days of pedaling home on a soggy seat may come to an end for many commuters who cycle to the rails with 50 bike canopies being built at major MBTA train, bus and subway stations.

The new bike ports ? a handful are already under construction at rail stations from Worcester to Andover ? will shelter 12 or more bicycles under a galvanized steel awning that will be located in well-traveled spots near platforms or entrances.

?The goal is to (enable cyclists) to park their bikes out of the weather in a safe and convenient spot that is not hidden in the corner behind the Dumpster,? said Steven E. Miller, a board member of LivableStreets, a Boston-based nonprofit that promotes healthy, sustainable transportation.

Flush with $4.8 million in federal stimulus money aimed at spurring green transportation ? and getting commuters out of their cars ? the MBTA consulted with the advocacy group and others for ideas on ways to make its stations more bike friendly, said Erik Scheier, the T?s project director for operations.

The result was the building of six new $430,000 bike cages, also called ?Pedal and Park? facilities ? they are equipped with video surveillance cameras and CharlieCard accessed entrances ? at transit hubs such as Alewife that are heavily used by cyclists, along with the 50 more low-budget canopies that cost $20,000 each.

Scheier said providing better weather protection along with security for bicycles was a major concern for the groups. ?A lot of cyclists said that when they park (their bikes) and it rains or snows, it damages their bikes,? he said.

Some people might be critical of federal tax money being spent on projects like building bike cages and canopies. But Miller says no one questions when the T spends millions to build parking garages for cars.

?It?s both good business, and about time they started building facilities for people who would (ride to T stations) in other manners,? he said, adding that riding and parking a bike is a lot cheaper and ?environmentally caring? than driving a car. ?The T is appealing to the green commuter and the budget-conscious commuter. And given these hard financial times, that?s a smart move.?

Among the Hub?s transit spots on tap to get the bike canopies this spring are: Davis Square, JFK, UMass, Stony Brook, Green Street and Fields Corner. Regional commuter rail stations include Mattapan, Haverhill, Hersey, Salem, Waverley, Waltham and North Billerica.

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/r...raises_roof_for_bikes/srvc=home&position=also

Back