General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Re: Driven By Customer 'Service' Parte Dos

Blame D.B Cooper and the PLO/PFLP for all of the Airport movies. I suppose the other silliness finds its origins in the first rumblings of peak-oil, filtered through dystopian sci-fi.

Not sure where to put this. Sounds like a good idea.
http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2010/08/03/winthrop_trek_becomes_an_easy_sail/?p1=Upbox_links

Winthrop trek becomes an easy sail
By Eric Moskowitz
Globe Staff / August 3, 2010

Every weekday evening since the 1980s, Lisa LaVigueur has filed out of work and onto a crowded Blue Line subway for a ride to Orient Heights, where she extracts her car from the parking garage and completes the trip home to Winthrop. Yesterday she opted for a faster route ? by boat.

?I love it,?? said LaVigueur, a 50-year-old assistant at a financial firm, basking in the sun on the top deck of a new Winthrop ferry as it prepared to disembark from Rowes Wharf. ?I think it?s very relaxing. It?s not stressful, it?s not crowded, and it?s quick.??

That was the verdict on the deck, where passenger after passenger was savoring the commute aboard the freshly painted Anna, a 61-foot vessel with a cash bar, instead of via the MBTA?s Blue Line or the Callahan and Sumner tunnels.

The ferry began official operations yesterday as a three-month trial of a service Winthrop officials hope to begin permanently next spring. By then, the town will have invested close to $6 million ? including nearly $5 million in state and federal money ? in start-up costs, including planning studies as well as the construction of a new town pier, boat landing, and ferry terminal, and the purchase of a passenger vessel.

Winthrop leaders expect that the ferry will lift the drudgery of commuting for a few hundred residents a day, offering a scenic 20- to 25-minute ride that saves some time but costs a bit more.

Officials see the ferry as a catalyst for economic development and a way to inject life into the town?s waterfront, which is how congressman Edward J. Markey and House Speaker Robert DeLeo, a Winthrop Democrat, pitched the project while helping to secure the funds. The two are expected to join state Senator Anthony Petruccelli and other supporters on a ceremonial midmorning cruise today from Winthrop to Boston.

?This is a very important project for the town of Winthrop,?? said James McKenna, town manager. ?We are looking to really have a new vision for the town which involves not only improving access to the city of Boston for the residents . . . but also to create Winthrop as a destination.??

Winthrop, a community of less than 20,000, occupies a 1.6-square-mile peninsula extending into Boston Harbor, less than 5 miles from the State House. But the overland routes are not as direct, leaving the estimated 4,200 residents who work in the city a sometimes frustrating set of options, said Paul Rupp, a consultant working with the town on the project.

Town officials have talked about a ferry for more than a decade. They tried to interest the MBTA ? which operates ferries from Charlestown, Hingham, Quincy, and Hull to downtown Boston ? but found little appetite for expanded service at the financially strapped transit agency, which already strains to meet operating costs while paying off a debt load that exceeds $8 billion in principal and interest.

So Winthrop decided to start its own ferry, putting out a request for proposals for private boat companies to run a three-month trial. That yielded an agreement with Boston Harbor Cruises, an 84-year-old passenger, whale watch, and charter operator that already runs the T?s Hingham and Charlestown ferries.

Boston Harbor Cruises is providing its own boat, the 149-passenger Anna, and running five weekday roundtrips synched with peak commuting hours. The trial will help the town and the company determine demand and appropriate service levels for a more permanent contract Winthrop expects to put out to bid this fall or winter to begin year-round service next spring.

The trial, running through Oct. 29, costs $6 one-way, the same as the T?s South Shore ferries. The T subsidizes those boats through contracts that provide the operators as much as $2 million a year. Winthrop is subsidizing about one-fourth the roughly $90,000 a month that the trial costs, but officials hope ticket sales and on-board concessions will cover future expenses, Rupp said.

However the deal is structured, ferry riders said they hope it lasts. Maria Bergman, an administrative assistant at an asset management firm, said her first ferry trip was quite a change from the Blue Line. ?It was like a mini-vacation,?? said Bergman, 45, before climbing to the top deck for the return voyage.

Below deck, Mike Mason sipped a beer ($5.25) from the galley, a feature not found on the Blue Line.

?A hard day?s work and a cold beer,?? said Mason, 35, a salesman for a financial software firm. ?It?s nice.??

Last edited:

It is an interesting idea. I may try it later this month.

The MBTA parking facility at Orient Heights is a surface lot, not a garage.

It's a disgrace that the "cash strapped" MBTA was not interested in this $6million project but they continue to throw tens of millions at the South Coast Rail "studies".

I'm glad Winthrop did this, reminds me of a discussion we were having in the ferry thread.

Winthrop also funds its buses, under contract with Paul Revere.

The idea itself is silly, but it made me think of the intriguing possibility of BRT using double decker buses with two-level stations, the top floor serving doors on the upper level of the bus as well. Interesting way to maximize boarding speed while increasing capacity on the same footprint.

$6 seems to be quite pricey for that trip, especially when the charleston ferry is only $1.70

Hope it is successful though. It should also be brought under the MBTA umbrella, regardless of where the funding comes from

^ I feel the same way (it should be under the T umbrella), but...why? I feel some irrational compulsion to make it part of "the system," but is there something wrong with an alternative public (or private) transit provider?

Having a unified fare structure is useful. The opposite extreme can be seen in the San Francisco Bay, which has: SF Muni Railway, BART, Caltrain, Golden Gate Transit, AC (Alameda County) Transit, Santa Clara County Transit, SamTrans (San Mateo County Transit), and probably others I've forgotten.

You can have a unified fare structure without a unified system though. A lot of metros even have a variety of transit systems using one contactless smart card; I think this is being implemented in SF.

^ I feel the same way (it should be under the T umbrella), but...why? I feel some irrational compulsion to make it part of "the system," but is there something wrong with an alternative public (or private) transit provider?

Its just more hassle. The rider doesnt give a shit whos running the system, whos funding it, etc. We just want to get from point a to b.

It's in everybodys best interest to have ONE website, ONE fare card (but can be different prices) and ONE brand.

More convenience = more ridership.

How many people will be able to benefit from this service but not be aware of it? Being able to go to mbta.com and seeing NEW FERRY! and being able to click on the ferry schedule would help, especially if it was integrated into the trip planner.

Why cant someone in winthrop ask for directions to 123 street in worcester on mbta.com and be able to get a prinout with pricing structure and times?

Why visit ferry website, mbta website and woobus website?

Again, on the back end, there can be 12 different systems, but up front, it should be one, ESPECIALLY because most of the funds come from MassDot.

The Quincy ferry used to be a separate private operation but was eventually folded into the MBTA.

The seasonal Boston-Salem Ferry also operates outside the MBTA system.

My auto mechanic is in Winthrop. I may give the ferry a try the next time I put my car in the shop. I'll take some pix.

Last edited:

The Salem Ferry is also $19 per round trip. A little bit high, in my humble opinion.

I've never understood why the T doesn't outsource its bus operations to, say, 5 competing private companies. That would ensure competition in a way privatizing under one company wouldn't, and the T could set specific requirements in terms of fare structure, using their fare card, colors and routes, etc. If one company severely underperforms, you allow the other companies to bid on their contract. I think FedEx does something along those lines (I believe each delivery person is an independent contractor who buys his own truck).

The city had competing inner city bus companies well after the MTA takeover. There isn't a way to provide complete transit coverage and a level of service at an affordable price to all neighborhoods, so they all went under.

Cars removed the sales by volume which allowed the BERy to run complete transit coverage. Some private companies could offer great services between high traffic areas, but the cost and limited coverage would disenfranchise large parts of the city. This is in fact why after rush hour morning and evening, many bus lines have their runs dramatically curtailed if not eliminated entirely. Simply too much money is lost to have unprofitable, on in the MBTA's case break even, runs.

Has anyone else seen the nice padded chair that the attendant at the South Station kiosk has put out? I have seen this woman, on more than 1 occasion, drag out a padded chair and sit in it and from there, will talk to people needing help at the Charlie Card machines.

I had a good laugh when I walked by.

^ I'm sure a work-order has been filed with the MBTA Facilities Department to requisition and install a hammock for this person.

Back