General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Apparently they replaced the 7 AM and 9:10 AM Worcester Line trains with a bus... because of a crew availability issue.

So they could find somebody to drive the bus but not the train?

Apparently they replaced the 7 AM and 9:10 AM Worcester Line trains with a bus... because of a crew availability issue.

So they could find somebody to drive the bus but not the train?
It happened with a lot of trains this morning, one hypothesis I saw suggested that something could be spreading around the South Shore crew base, and I can't really think of any other reason besides a strike that would take that many crew out of action.

It happened with a lot of trains this morning, one hypothesis I saw suggested that something could be spreading around the South Shore crew base, and I can't really think of any other reason besides a strike that would take that many crew out of action.

It’s now been the majority of south side Commuter Rail trips cancelled today due to crew availability. I’ve never seen anything like this. Clearly something major happened or is happening. Thoughts?

IMG_0352.jpeg

IMG_0351.jpeg

North end of West Medford CR platform. Could this be the start of the mini-high platform construction referenced in the June 2024 ADA report? They are also doing track work this summer on the Lowell Line so could be related to that too. But the north end of the station is the only place where they could fit mini highs so it seems likely to be prep work for that.

View attachment 52677
View attachment 52678
North end of West Medford CR platform. Could this be the start of the mini-high platform construction referenced in the June 2024 ADA report? They are also doing track work this summer on the Lowell Line so could be related to that too. But the north end of the station is the only place where they could fit mini highs so it seems likely to be prep work for that.
Does anyone know how much each pair of mini-high costs? Two full high platforms next to a road crossing would probably be about $15m based on SCR station costs (Adjust for bloat how you see fit) so they would need to be pretty cheap to make the math work out favorably.

Does anyone know how much each pair of mini-high costs? Two full high platforms next to a road crossing would probably be about $15m based on SCR station costs (Adjust for bloat how you see fit) so they would need to be pretty cheap to make the math work out favorably.
The Lynn Interim station project (two mini highs) reportedly cost about $10m, done in house by the MBTA and Keolis, although that included lighting, ramps, signs, etc. The CIP only budgets $7.9m to the entire mini high program so I guess they're planning on finding some serious cost savings...

Back