General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Re: Driven By Customer 'Service' Parte Dos

I practically live by NextBus.

I use BostonBusMap for Android, it is fantastic, shows where all the buses are in real time, also has stop predictions. I also use OpenMBTA and sometimes I use NextBus.

When I say NextBus, I mean all of the apps based on the data feed. NextBus is the company in charge of publishing the data that ALL of the apps rely upon.

I switch up between BostonBusMap and NextBus.com mobile web site, which has a nice location-based interface for cell phones.

I use BostonBusMap for Android, it is fantastic, shows where all the buses are in real time, also has stop predictions.

This. I live and die by BBM.

I use BostonBusMap for Android, it is fantastic, shows where all the buses are in real time, also has stop predictions. I also use OpenMBTA and sometimes I use NextBus.

OpenMBTA is sooo unstable. I've been looking for an alternative. Will definitely check out BostonBusMap.

What's the commuter rail app that tracks trains in real time?

OpenMBTA is sooo unstable. I've been looking for an alternative. Will definitely check out BostonBusMap.

I use CatchtheT (for subway) and CatchtheBus (for bus service, obviously). Both have nice interfaces.

I do notice that the data feed is sometimes flawed. A bus on a route will sometimes "disappear" even though you know it is still running (as in you can see it approaching!).

REmember how we talked about Key Corridors? Places that have lots of buses--but don't have the advantage of being all the same number?

I found one app (a mobile-friendly website, actually) that handles multiple-buses on the same route well. It is:

TrackTheT.com, which reports all the bus routes going "the same way" as your bus at your stop, not just "the one".

For me, its inbound on the 77 (to Porter) where a 79 or 350 (to Alewife) will work just as well. Track The T makes a "countdown stack" that shows all buses coming your way.

Our like at Davis Sq waiting on any "outbound" bus (I can use the 87 or 94 that both get me roughly home, despite using different streets)
http://www.trackthet.com/index.php?routeId=87&dirId=87_0_var0&stopId=5104&update=true

I just bookmark the link on my iPhone.

Any apps do that? I"ve been so happy with Track The T, I haven't checked features in a while.

Last edited:

There is one called 'transit' that shows all the buses t and cr near you and their departures. Very easy to mark favorites and find alternatives, and it's really great for a quick look. I use it as my go to when deciding to hop the red line or bus to work or Harvard sq. It helps if you have some idea of where you are going and your options going in, because the system map is not available.

It also works seamlessly in other cities, jumped to NYC last weekend and it all shows right up.

Any apps do that? I"ve been so happy with Track The T, I haven't checked features in a while.

BostonBusMap has layers, so you can select to see:
-All buses (no rail)
-Vehicle on one route (subway or bus)
-Stops and predictions on all routes (no rail)
-Stops and predictions on one route (subway or bus)

You can also bookmark favorite stops. What I really like is that it uses google maps as the base, so if in an unfamiliar location you can turn on the all buses+stops layer, and see where everything is. The single route layer also plots a line, so you can see where unfamiliar buses go.

I've tried the countdown timer ones, and I just like seeing the map so much more. For instance in Harvard, I know that if I get off the red line and the 86 hasn't crossed Beacon Street I have just enough time to go to otto and grab a slice. Or if I just missed it at Dawes Island but it's trying to get through the square I can haul ass and catch it on Western Ave before it crosses the bridge.

BBM is nice if you're willing to type in the route or click on the stop you want. The UI is a bit awkward. Useful though, and stable.

But the Nextbus.com mobile website is best for just finding out "what buses are near me right now?"

And it shows countdown + a google map with bus locations.

I also have bookmarked pages for my commute, and I've made my own webpage which tries to collect certain pieces of data to estimate the crowding level of the oncoming bus. Very experimental at the moment.

Or if I just missed it [the 86] at Dawes Island but it's trying to get through the square I can haul ass and catch it on Western Ave before it crosses the bridge.

what, you can outrun the bus from Dawes Island in Cambridge all the way to Western Ave in Allston?

what, you can outrun the bus from Dawes Island in Cambridge all the way to Western Ave in Allston?

I should just stop posting! I meant JFK St, lol

Even the most hi tech mbta app couldn't have helped me today. Once again, the 93 was late at rush hour and two buses came together after a 20 minute wait. It didn't matter that I walked 6 stops up the hill because both buses were full and didn't pick up any passengers at my stop. Time to write a letter.

Oh and my bus just bypassed the Harvard kent stop, the 3rd bus to do so. Those poor suckers have/will have been waiting for 30+ minutes in single digit temperature by the time the next bus comes (if it stops)

^cut them some slack. It snowed 4 days ago! ;)

^cut them some slack. It snowed 4 days ago! ;)

Yea I guess I should since this city sees snow once a decade or so...oh wait

And the only time they are egregiously late is when it had recently snowed...oh wait

As someone who grew up in the 'burbs and only started living in the city three years ago, has Boston always been this horrible at timely snow removal, or is it just the last couple of years?

As someone who grew up in the 'burbs and only started living in the city three years ago, has Boston always been this horrible at timely snow removal, or is it just the last couple of years?

Which neighborhood? Because that makes all the difference in the world on how timely and thoroughly you get dug out.

(Hint: Charlestown is for galoshes.)

1517937_10201124230728012_229169974_n.jpg

Dead train at Sullivan caused this this morning... Not the ideal rush hour headways.

Not the MBTA's fault but my bus got blocked at Devonshire street by a small company bus one stop before the stop I normally get off. Got off the bus with half the other passengers who all proceeded to flip off the driver of the company bus who wouldn't budge even when honked until (from what my co-worker who stayed on the bus told me) a cop came. What a shitshow. If y'all are having a miserable day and want a laugh, just read about my commute. I'll probably be here all week with the 93 being the way it is (bus didn't come for 30 minutes yesterday also).

Another co-worker of mine said that 5 93 buses bypassed her stop (my bus was probably the 3rd one and her stop was the 2nd to last one in Charlestown) so she gave up and decided to work from home. Outrageous.

Back