General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

This is the first time I have seen Cubic card readers in Green Line trains. They aren’t turned on and still have the plastic film on the screen.
IMG_1120.jpeg

This is the first time I have seen Cubic card readers in Green Line trains. They aren’t turned on and still have the plastic film on the screen. View attachment 40843

More than likely not activated or turned on yet. Seems a little slow, but eventually, they'll get there. I haven't seen any yet on the buses or trolleys. But I'm sure that once they come on, they'll be a welcome change over the present antiquated system that they have now. Those machines up front near the driver are so damn slow because when paying with coins instead of dollar bills for rides, each passenger is force to put in only one coin at a time & let it register if paying with coins!! It is so ridiculously slow!!! I'll be so glad when they go completely cashless!!!! Meanwhile, depending on the weather, you're either stuck outside in a long line, waiting to get on the trolley or bus on a freezing cold day in the winter, or a torridly hot summer day!! :mad:

Last edited:
I can't read that because friggen Boston Globe is blocking it, trying to force me to sign up & subscribe with them!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Last edited:
I can't read that because friggen Boston Globe is blocking it, trying to force me to sign up to subscribe with them!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
You can get a globe subscription for like $4/month because of all the promotions they run. There are much worse ways to spend your money. Rather than complaining you can support a good cause by buying a subscription.

You can get a globe subscription for like $4/month because of all the promotions they run. There are much worse ways to spend your money. Rather than complaining you can support a good cause by buying a subscription.

Not ready to do that yet, as long as I can get the same thing from another source, which I just did. Hah!!!! What they SHOULD do is ASK you to join, instead of blocking the page, giving you the option to close that ad & not force you, just to be able to see the page. If or until they do that, why should I have to sign up to their ridiculous ads?!! :)

Last edited:

I'm a big fan of supporting local media. If we don't, we'll end up with an AP News Source from Atlanta or someplace like that. I've been a Boston Globe subscriber since 1987.

I'm with you guys on subscribing to the Globe to support local journalism, but I also share a bit of @Jahvon09's frustration. I'm a Globe Kindle edition subscriber, which generally suits me best, but it frustratingly does not give me access to the on-line edition. Considering that the Kindle subscription is more expensive, I find it incredibly annoying to be blocked on these linked articles.

I'm with you guys on subscribing to the Globe to support local journalism, but I also share a bit of @Jahvon09's frustration. I'm a Globe Kindle edition subscriber, which generally suits me best, but it frustratingly does not give me access to the on-line edition. Considering that the Kindle subscription is more expensive, I find it incredibly annoying to be blocked on these linked articles.

Thanks, @HenryAlan. The Globe, for a while, had the option for folks to opt out by pressing an X there as a NO, but as of late, that has been eliminated & people are just plain STUCK with either having to deal with that aggravating & annoying ad or close out of the page, which I ended up doing. And I don't blame anyone here for not wanting to be forced to sign up to The Globe just so that they can read a measly page!! :mad:

A couple of stories regarding lack of planning between local politicians and the MBTA and a push for electrification of the line.

WHAT’S GOING ON WITH THE MBTA IN LYNN?
NICHOLSON, CRIGHTON PUSH MBTA TO JUMPSTART ELECTRIC RAIL PROJECT

Wow, this is EXCELLENT. I'm so encouraged by the mayor and state senator! Having a huge city like Lynn without access to the train is just ridiculous. Why does it take 8 years to build a full-height platform at Lynn? I just don't understand. Plus, it's even more infuriating when the current station was built in the early 90's, but obviously not maintained or built properly. I can absolutely remember when both Lynn and South Attleboro opened as brand spanking new stations!

“We’ve been pushing the [MBTA] for a long time to provide mitigation for our passengers, for drivers, and the folks living downtown, we weren’t making any progress, we were fighting them,” he said. “There was nothing on the table from the previous administration, it was tremendously frustrating.”

In January, the current delegation went to Healey and Lt. Gov. Kim Driscoll to express that the North Shore was not ready for the Sumner Tunnel closure.

“Within a week, they took our suggestions,” Crighton said.

No one from the previous administration should ever be allowed near the reigns of government ever again. What did Poftak even do besides collect a salary?

No one from the previous administration should ever be allowed near the reigns of government ever again. What did Poftak even do besides collect a salary?

He took pressure off of Baker and painted Baker in a good light, while helping ensure that public transit was not viewed as a worthwhile investment. That was his job and he did it well. He has made the Pioneer Institute proud.

I realize I'm having a kind of sci-fi/fantasy moment, but I'm imagining a scenario where @F-Line to Dudley is able to whisper in Philip Eng's ear at night, and guide him toward the light!!!

Project management or lackthereof. The T (esp. Commuter Rail division) has simply lost the plot at managing the nuts-and-bolts of station projects. Right down to repairs, which is why we've got a record number of closed-for-repairs stations at the moment.

The Reading Line would actually be a great slump-buster for getting back to basics. All of the stations excepting Reading (full-highs around the historic depot building is going to be a complex undertaking, but thankfully that one is currently ADA-compliant with the mini-high) are generic as can be, no architectural touches that need preservation, zero curves, no property pinches, and dirt-simple access points from a grade crossing (i.e. no up-and-over required). About the only halfway-tricky (but really not hard) one is Wakefield, since it would have to be flipped south of the Albion St. grade crossing to net T-regulation 800 ft. platforms. You could wad up all 5 stops south of Reading Depot into one project bid, and close them 1-2 at a time to blitz 'em, prefab the hell out of everything, and be done on a rapid construction schedule. Make it big enough that workflow efficiencies have to rule and project management bloat simply has no time to accumulate.

Back