General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Re: Driven By Customer 'Service' Parte Dos

Spinning this into a different direction... Can someone explain why they can't run triples? I've heard it has to do with the signaling technology, although I'm not sure what the issue is exactly. I also suspect the length of some street platform lengths are a limiting factor, although they do seem far longer than the double trains - and this wouldn't be an issue whatsoever on the D line...

In any case, I've heard that running triples and slightly increasing headways would be one way of significantly reducing central subway traffic.

Triples dont fit in the stations under construction. Once copley and arlington are done.....theyll probably start Gvt Cntr, so no triples either.

They do fit on all surface stations.

So why not after construction finishes?

So why not after construction finishes?

As I said, construction wont ever finish. Gvt Center is next in line. And by the time that happens, theyll decide Hynes needs an elevator after all. And once that is done, Boston will be under water.

Edit: Looks like science park is next (per mbta website), before Government Center. And I forgot Lechmere too, they have to move the station around 2015.

As has been previously stated, the T isn't about transportation, it's about Jobs. If we lived in some objective market controlled world (not that I'm advocating that) then the T would be about transportation and these projects would all be done as soon as possible. But since the T is about jobs these projects drag on much longer than they should. The new super-agency isn't about to change this so unless any of you are going to run for Governor (John?), enjoy the mess.

But couldn't we maintain the same number of jobs by creating new projects as opposed to dragging out old ones?

If the money was there, maybe. In some conspiratorial way I think the state sticking the MBTA with $8 Billion of debt is some way to combat excessive jobs.

We have a fucked up system that politicians are happy to let continue.

The old analog map with the moving lights representing moving trains is long gone. They gutted Maverick during the renovation.

This is what is known as a Damn Dirty Shame.

(Coming from the man who sometimes watches The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 just to look at the nerve center Walter Matthau's character works in)

But couldn't we maintain the same number of jobs by creating new projects as opposed to dragging out old ones?

You forget the definition of a 'good job' to these people is the ability to do the least work possible for the maximum pay and benefits possible, before public starts to notice the charade.

When the unions shifted away from being primarily trade organizations to almost purely political animals, the whole concept of 'work' ceased to be a noble endeavor and became some sort of unpleasantness to be avoided. Similarly, although at another level, when the transportation network shifted away from a business focused on doing something for money, into a political 'public service', the resulting loss of efficiency should have been written on the wall.

Watch George Carlin's bit on 'customer service' and substitute "customer" for public. One should very quickly get the idea.

Study finds "51 projects classified as ?a danger to life or limb of passengers and/or employees"

The Study

The report advises that the agency 'slow expansion until the safety and maintenance priorities can be addressed' and that 'the MBTA should not be able to enter into new debt obligations without MassDOT oversight.'

So does this mean the Green Line expansion and Assembly Square stop will be put on hold until the risk-of-death spots in the system have been addressed?

I cant believe that I had to actually ask the question "will the MBTA elect to save lives or waste moremoney?"

Wow, I hate our transit system... i mean it's really, really crappy.

Let's also not widen highways or build new roads until we've eliminated all possibility of automotive fatalities. This truly unwarranted negative publicity against the t is silly and self-defeating.

We need to make sure we're funding regular maintenance and operations of the T, including the necessary safety improvements, while we also look to the future and continue to expand the T in smart ways (the Green Line Extension is a great example of this, the density is there and there is a lot of potential for reducing auto trips and increasing the number of people and businesses near transit through new TOD).

So does this mean the Green Line expansion and Assembly Square stop will be put on hold until the risk-of-death spots in the system have been addressed?

Green Line will happen come hell or high water. Assembly Sq will happen come funding. I think this study refers to all other expansion that was recently tabled (Urban Ring, Blue Line, Silver Line Phase 3...).

Re: Looks like the T is in trouble!

Maybe you could just stick to posting photos. You are pretty good at that.

I fail to see what is wrong with this thread. If you don't like it, then don't post in it.

For someone whose very firsts posts displayed such a bewildering misunderstanding of our moderator's personal life, I'm not surprised that you fail so hard at actually READING/COMPREHENDING what other people post here.

For someone whose very firsts posts displayed such a bewildering misunderstanding of our moderator's personal life, I'm not surprised that you fail so hard at actually READING/COMPREHENDING what other people post here.

Why are you lecturing me about reading comprehension when you fail at punctuation? Don't even think about editing your post...I saved a snapshot of your stupidity.

Wait, are you kidding? Punctuation? LOL

I don't understand what you are arguing about. The D'Alessandro report is worth a discussion thread.

Back