General MBTA Topics (Multi Modal, Budget, MassDOT)

Re: Driven By Customer 'Service' Parte Dos

I used to live near the end of the Boston College Green Line.

Sometimes the wait for an inbound train was well over half an hour while the drivers played cards in plain sight. Then they'd all disperse to their trains, which would cruise down Commonwealth Avenue in a cluster.

That kind of punk callousness typifies working class Bostonians, particularly those who work for the MBTA, but you can include Boston cops in the same category. If they weren't cops they'd be criminals, and actually they're probably both.

I used to live near the end of the Boston College Green Line.

Sometimes the wait for an inbound train was well over half an hour while the drivers played cards in plain sight. Then they'd all disperse to their trains, which would cruise down Commonwealth Avenue in a cluster.

That kind of punk callousness typifies working class Bostonians, particularly those who work for the MBTA, but you can include Boston cops in the same category. If they weren't cops they'd be criminals, and actually they're probably both.

I always enjoy waiting 35 minutes for a bus during rush hour, only to have 3 of them come one right after another.

Was riding on the Green Line this week and saw this in car 3616A:

01191016023616a.jpg

Text:
"Wilmington Trust Company as owner trustee, owner and lessor.

State Street Bank and Trust Company, of CT N.A. (as successor to the CT Bank and Trust Company, national association) as indenture trustee, mortgagee."

Does this mean I was riding in a hocked T-car?

http://www.transitboston.com/2009/04/whose-train-is-that-anyway/
Think again. Several transit agencies participated in a wacky ?sale and leaseback? arrangement involving their trains, the banks, and insurance companies including AIG. The Washington DC Metro, Bay Area Rapid Transit, and Chicago Transit Authority sold their trains to banks, which leased the trains back to the transit authorities. The deals were guaranteed by insurance companies, most notably AIG, and the agencies all were defaulted when AIG lost its high quality financial rating (and then some) in the fall of 2008. The upshot: the transit agencies suddenly were obligated pay banks millions of dollars they otherwise would not have had to pay.

As an aside, a bank owning a subway train doesn?t make a whole lot of intutive sense, does it? Why would a bank want a train? Well, the answer apparently is that the bank can write off depreciation of the trains on its taxes whereas a transit agency cannot. Public transit agencies generally don?t pay taxes. So the banks paid the transit agencies for the privilege of owning the trains as a tax shelter. Neat, huh.

Pretty sure I've sat in some of that on a Bench at Downtown Crossing

Boston Globe - January 26, 2010
Crime down across MBTA
System credits its safety push

By Maria Cramer, Globe Staff | January 26, 2010

Crime on the MBTA has dropped sharply, falling to the lowest level in at least 30 years, even as near-record numbers of people are riding the system?s sprawling network of buses and trains, according to the MBTA Transit Police.

There were no homicides on the transit system last year, and the number of aggravated assaults, larcenies, and robberies also fell, MBTA officials said. The crime rates on the MBTA mirror a national trend in which crime has decreased in many cities and towns. In Boston, police last year reported 49 homicides, the lowest number of killings since 2003.

?I think what you?re seeing now is a much greater commitment by the MBTA and the Transit Police to address the concerns of the community and the passengers,?? said Transit Police Chief Paul MacMillan, who attributed the decrease to video surveil lance, public awareness campaigns that urge people to report suspicious activity, and a crackdown on fare jumpers, who are often also associated with other crimes.

On any given weekday, an estimated 1.2 million people use the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority?s subways, buses, trains, and boats to travel throughout Greater Boston. Last year, about 361 million people used the transit system - a number topped only in 2008, when a spike in gas prices prompted a record high number of people to use public transportation.

Despite the high number of riders, crime rates are at the lowest level since officials began keeping complete statistics three decades ago.

In 2009, there were 827 major crimes on the system, down 21 percent from 2008 and down 5 percent from 2007.

?That?s a pretty staggering statistic when you look at the number of people we transport every day,?? MacMillan said.

Around the T yesterday, passengers interviewed said that the statistics about falling crime felt true to them.

?I never see anything happen,?? said Brandon Kinkead, 19, who takes the Orange Line daily from Forest Hills to get to the Kaplan Career Institute in Charlestown. ?You don?t hear about things happening like you used to.??

At the JFK-UMass station in Dorchester, Hung Ong, 22, said public awareness campaigns have made him feel better about his daily commute on the Red Line. He pointed to the loudspeakers that periodically boom warnings passengers to report suspicious activity.

?It actually makes me feel safer,?? Ong, a student at the University of Massachusetts Boston, said of the messages. ?That means a lot of people are watching their surroundings, not just one.??

In recent years, the MBTA faced several high-profile shootings, assaults, and killings, particularly on subways and buses, that made safety in the system a public issue.

In 2003, a woman who was 8 1/2-months pregnant was shot when a gunman missed his intended target, a rival gang member, and struck her in the abdomen. The woman survived but the baby died after it was delivered. In March, 2007, an 18-year-old man was fatally shot in the head on a bus going through Dorchester at a time when schoolchildren were heading home. On New Year?s Eve in 2008, a 16-year-old boy was stabbed to death on an MBTA bus rumbling through Mattapan.

In 2008, the T reported 1,052 major crimes, an uptick that Transit Police attributed to multiple thefts of electronic devices, such as cell phones and iPods. But in 2009, the number of larcenies fell 26 percent from 701 in 2008 to 522.

The MBTA, like other public transportation agencies that oversee subway systems, has also grappled with how to combat groping - a form of indecent assault. The T said the number of indecent assaults rose from 44 in 2007 to 69 in 2008, but dropped to 60 in 2009, and MacMillan said police made arrests in 38 percent of the incidents.

The Transit Police oversee a vast system, which includes 279 rail stations, 8,500 bus stops, and eight ferry terminals, as well as 228 transit routes.

MacMillan said the MBTA has adopted a number of approaches to battle crime, including the crackdown on fare jumpers, which he described as part of a strategy known as ?point of entry policing.?? On average, one out of 10 people stopped for fare evasion has an outstanding criminal arrest warrant pending, he said.

The Transit Police cited 2,684 people for fare evasion in 2009, up from 1,267 in 2008.

MacMillan said he remains concerned about the rate of robberies on the T, even though the overall number fell 9 percent in 2009, to 189. Robberies, which are different from larcenies because there is a direct confrontation between the victim and the thief, increase whenever an expensive electronic device, such as the iPhone or the Sidekick, enters the market, he said.

?The robberies are a concern for us because it?s a violent crime,?? MacMillan said. ?People need to know these items are valuable and to safeguard them when they?re on the T.??

Passengers said they try to remain alert to possible crime.

Leyinska Berbere, a 22-year-old junior at UMass-Boston, said rude passengers who shove, push, and swear are a bigger problem than crime. Still, she said, she holds her cell phone close to her when she is on the train.

?I ride mostly in the daytime,?? Berbere said. ?I tend to avoid nighttime.??

And Kinkead, the Kaplan Career Institute student, said he has had to be wary of other passengers who stare greedily at the jewelry he likes to wear.

?Can?t sleep,?? he said. ?I just sit back and relax and peek at everything around me so I know what?s going on.??

Alice Phoenix, who also uses the Orange Line, said the only trouble she faces is from intoxicated passengers. Those people who express fear about riding the transit system are usually people who don?t use it, said Phoenix, a 46-year-old from Jamaica Plain who works in human resources at a large downtown financial firm.

?They say, ?Oh, I would never ride the Orange Line,? ?? Phoenix said. ?I say, ?Great! More room for me.? ??

Maria Cramer can be reached at mcramer@globe.com.

New map is up in Hynes, Coolidge Corner, and some other green line stops as well:

subway-spider.jpg

Why do we need to know all of the silverline washington st. stops? aren't they trying to portray it as some sort of light-rail replacement? it's too dificult to understand that part of the map.

Ironic/stupid that the map displayed on the Green Line portrays every Silver Line stop but omits many B and C line ones.

If I lived in Roslindale I'd feel a bit slighted by this map. A huge number of bus routes run from Forest Hills to Rozzie Square (where they then branch out in many directions), but they are not shown here at all. Roslindale also has a commuter rail stop (or maybe two, depending on where you think the Rozzie/Westie line is).

Also notably missing is the 31 bus from Forest Hills to Mattapan, a pretty important crosstown link.

Last edited:

It took five minutes (and I'm a pretty bright guy) but I think I finally figured out how the silver blob around Chinatown works.

Poor Rozzie. And also, not even a hint that Everett exists.

South Boston also is served much better by bus routes than it is by this map.

Self-serving crap.

The shysters and clowns who run the MBTA should be required to line up for fingernail inspection by a hooded guy with a pair of tongs. "Just one question," he would be required to intone, "are you prepared to come clean?"

No, adding busy and frequent bus routes to a transit map is a Good Thing. I'm just not sure this first draft is complete yet.

But Ron, there's something to be said for the ease and simplicity of a purely-rail T map. Supplemental maps with bus routes are useful, but making something like this the main diagram sows confusion.

If anything, they should make it clear the Silver Line belongs more in the bus column than the rapid transit one. Reduce the width of that line, at least.

Ron, your point is well taken. Maps that publish incomplete information are useless to a significant portion of the riding public.

That said, how am I to feel as a user of the system when the station I catch the train at is literally falling apart? Will a better maps help?

If I lived in Roslindale I'd feel a bit slighted by this map. A huge number of bus routes run from Forest Hills to Rozzie Square (where they then branch out in many directions), but they are not shown here at all. Roslindale also has a commuter rail stop (or maybe two, depending on where you think the Rozzie/Westie line is).

Also notably missing is the 31 bus from Forest Hills to Mattapan, a pretty important crosstown link.

Yeah, I don't like it -- not so much the lack of bus routes but the fact that part of the actual city is covered by the legend. The logic of the map works against adding the Washington St. bus routes, because no single route is as busy as those displayed. Of course, there are nine routes between Rozzie Square and Forest Hills, which should argue in favor of an Orange Line extension.

Back