General Thoughts/State of Southeast Expressway

I90 did a lot of damage from Newton to South Station. The railroad trench was lined with housing and businesses which didn't leave street edges open to a trench. The highway trench is divisive in a way that the railroad trench was not in that regard.

Lurk -- the rail path through the Back Bay with its multiplicity of interconnecting track and sidings severed the Back Bay from the South End with only a couple of streets that crossed

Now with the Pru & extended Copley + Back Bay Station there is some relatively easy way to cross from Mass Ave to Clarendon St.

That is an improvement in anybody's book

You're talking about a few blocks in the Back Bay. He's talking about the rest of the Pike, especially out in Newton where it plowed through and divided a number of village centers (Newton Corner, Newtonville, West Newton).

Look at maps and aerial photos of the South End from South Station to Back Bay Station and from Boylston at Massachusetts Avenue all the way to West Newton. The only places "improved" by I-90 were the Back Bay rail yards where the Pru now stands.

For those of you who think the Southwest Expressway and I-695 would have had little impact on the surrounding neighborhoods, take a look at this presentation from the recent project to improve Melnea Cass Blvd, which was built in the 1970s on the land cleared to build I-695 before the highway was cancelled. There are many photos of land clearance and renderings of what these new highways would have looked like. In particular, note the rats nest of ramps that would have been at the interchange of these two proposed highways, and the damage it would have caused around the Emerald Necklace, not to mention all the buildings that would have had to be demolished. It truly would have been a travesty.

http://www.cityofboston.gov/Images_Documents/MCBDP DRAFTrev12.13.2011_tcm3-29385.pdf

Not only that but the BRA planned acres of public housing and urban renewal for Lower Roxbury as well which decimated the area. Although only parts were built more land was leveled which leaves the giant gash in the city fabric today.

The interchange depicted in the artist rendering looked great. It's sad we don't have more interchanges like that in this state.

What a disgrace... They should have at least broken up the parcels into the original size. There weren't a bunch of superblock big box parcels previously.

The air rights would have been comparable to the air rights over I-90 where the pru is-- in that section, that was hardly an impact to the neighborhood. I-695 through Cambridge had a similar design that would have essentially been cut and cover.

West / N. Cambridge still got it in another form. The Fitchburg Line along the Cambridge/Somerville border(@Porter) would have been part of Route 2 leading into the i-695 junction at Somerville's Union Square area. As can be seen the Commuter rail at Porter is recessed below Street level already. They probably can't cover it though as air quality in the tunnel would suffer since Commuter Rail trains are diesel and CO2 would rise in the tunnel. (unless they left it open air like at Back Bay station.

Look at maps and aerial photos of the South End from South Station to Back Bay Station and from Boylston at Massachusetts Avenue all the way to West Newton. The only places "improved" by I-90 were the Back Bay rail yards where the Pru now stands.

Lurk and Ron -- yes the Pike did cut through parts of Newton just as Rt-2 still cuts through parts of Arlington, Belmont, Lexington with few crossings and Rt-128 cut through Lexington, Waltham, Burlington. Woburn, etc. with even fewer crossings.

However, without those highways and the others we wouldn't be able to talk about Boston as one of the leading centers of Innovation on the planet.

The entire development of Rt-128 came about when the Commonwealth converted the numbered route which had been streets running through cities and towns into a limited access highway passing mostly through open farm land. In the 1930's a major intersection of Rt-128 was the corner of Mass. Ave. and Waltham St. in Lexington Center less than 100 yards from the Minuteman Statue.

see for instance:
http://marksardella.wordpress.com/2008/05/09/route-128/

I'm sorry -- romantic attachments to rail are all fine and good -- But it is the automobile and trucks and the mostly Post-WWII superhighway network which created the 20th Century economic growth in the US.

How -- because it freed us from the dependency on rigid infrastructure.

Since the superhighway's advent a company can create itself in the woods of New Hampshire up Rt-3 and in a week it is able to ship products globally, and have people travel to/from the rest of the world through the expedient of taking a 1 hour or so drive to/from Logan.

Was the process of building the Eisenhower Interstate System and supporting highways perfect -- certainly not -- just as the creation of the rail net in the 19th Century enabled the spread of the Industrial Age but separated neighbors, polluted and darkened cities, etc.

Can we improve things -- certainly -- just as we took dozens of independent stations and combined them into things of beauty and utility such as South Station

But let's not create a revisionist history and romanticized view that had we just kept the transportation infrastructure which existed in (1930, 1940, 1950, 1960 - pick your favorite era) that we would live in Utopia, the Elysian Fields, or whatever -- we might be living in another Buffalo where the city will pay you to physically remove a house from the city limits.

Boston is no where close to other large cities and metro areas when it comes to highways/freeways/expressways cutting through large swaths of land. Compare Boston to Atlanta, Los Angeles, Houston, Dallas, Miami (where they seem to think building new highways and widening the ones they already have is an answer to traffic and congestion). Our highways are fewer in numbers and not nearly as wide as highways in those cities. You will have 10 and 12 lane monsters running through dense residential areas.

Boston is no where close to other large cities and metro areas when it comes to highways/freeways/expressways cutting through large swaths of land. Compare Boston to Atlanta, Los Angeles, Houston, Dallas, Miami (where they seem to think building new highways and widening the ones they already have is an answer to traffic and congestion). Our highways are fewer in numbers and not nearly as wide as highways in those cities. You will have 10 and 12 lane monsters running through dense residential areas.

Mass -- some good points although we have a few 12 lane corridors -- just not one integrated highway

See for example I-93 with its complexes of ramps and accompanying parallel and quasi parallel roads from about the Gas Tanks to just before the Tip O'neil Tunnel portal -- I think there are a couple of points where there are more than 16 Lanes running in the same corridor

800px-South_Bay_Interchange.jpg

All those lanes and it's still a horribly designed mess.

For those of you who think the Southwest Expressway and I-695 would have had little impact on the surrounding neighborhoods, take a look at this presentation from the recent project to improve Melnea Cass Blvd, which was built in the 1970s on the land cleared to build I-695 before the highway was cancelled. There are many photos of land clearance and renderings of what these new highways would have looked like. In particular, note the rats nest of ramps that would have been at the interchange of these two proposed highways, and the damage it would have caused around the Emerald Necklace, not to mention all the buildings that would have had to be demolished. It truly would have been a travesty.

http://www.cityofboston.gov/Images_Documents/MCBDP DRAFTrev12.13.2011_tcm3-29385.pdf

I'm fully aware of what it would look like-- but it would have given substantially better access to non-public transit accessible jobs for the people that live in the SW corridor area.

I'm fully aware of what it would look like-- but it would have given substantially better access to non-public transit accessible jobs for the people that live in the SW corridor area.

But at what cost?

Spoken about the canceled Mid-Manhattan Expressway,

"Can you imagine an elevated expressway at 30th Street just so Long Island guys could get to New Jersey?" -- Robert Stern

So to translate: let's level all of Lower Roxbury just so some banker can get to his house in Randolph faster.

Did you ever drive in Boston prior to this project?

Yes. And it is still a tangled mess with sharp curves, utterly pathetic construction quality, and poor signage. Sure it is better than what was there before. Does that make it good? Not in the slightest.

It is very confusing. If you do it everyday then it isn't an issue but I got lost when I came back to visit my relatives and I was here before, during, and after the Big Dig.

Signage in the Boston area sucks, as does the tendency to drop lanes with no warning.

Yes. And it is still a tangled mess with sharp curves, utterly pathetic construction quality, and poor signage. Sure it is better than what was there before. Does that make it good? Not in the slightest.

My fav part of the Big Dig is Exit 20 North Sta/Storrow Drive. The exits are legit their own freaking highways and bypass the Zakim for some reason.

It reminds me of Exit 22C - Providence Place on 95 in RI, which is perhaps one of the most ridiculous exits in the country.

Back