Google ruins everything they touch

davem

Reaction score
To quote someone from a complaint thread on the google forums:
"Google, you were once the leader in clean, sleek, simple and fast websites. Now... you've turned into a doodad whore, your "features" are cumbersome and sometimes downright annoying. Truth be told, Google, you're making me hate the internet. Stop it."

RANT ALERT

Has anyone else been negatively effected in the past three or so years by Google's "updates"?

First things first, I've been a extreme early adopter and advocate of google for years. I've been using gmail since it was still in the development stage and you needed an invite to join. Earth since version 2. Same with sketchup. I was using chrome when they were releasing nightly alpha builds. I got the original droid because of its core connectivity to google. Since the days when Myspace reigned supreme, I systematically wrapped my digital life around google.

No more.

The tide began to turn with an update to google earth, I believe version 6. Street view in GE used to be a layer, where every picture had an icon. This was great as not only could you select EXACTLY the view you wanted, but it also had addresses, meaning it was the easiest way to see where you were. With the update it changed to the google maps blue line style. Gone was the ability to select an individual panorama. Gone the ability to see addresses from above. Several updates later, I almost never use GE. It's slow and frequently crashes, core functionality has been removed in favor of ads, the "melting" 3d imagery is not only disgusting looking, but nonfunctional, and I can no longer turn off terrain. Within a period of a few years, it went from a program I used daily to one I dread having to interact with.

Google maps. Why google, why? GM essentially murdered all competitors, and it was wonderful. It was light, fast and functional. The satellite imagery was crisp and regularly updated. The my maps function was genius, and extremely useful. Ported to my android, the traffic layer and navigation was a breeze. I never could have run deliveries without it. After the latest update, I've gone to bing maps. That's right, microsoft, the epitome of everything that's wrong with software I prefer over google. There is no longer an option for satellite view without hacking over to a "lite" mode. The bottom and side of the screen are so loaded with ads and pictures that have nothing to do with maps yet take up 20% of the screen real estate. The maps themselves are loaded with ads and places that get in the way of reading street names, and the adjusted color scheme is less legible. I can't comment of the "earth" mode, because it is so slow it crashes not only my home PC, but the rendering rigs at my school. From the little I have interacted with though, it sucks. I can't even find the my places function anymore, so much for all the maps I made.

Gmail, what converted me to google in the first place, is also becoming nonfunctional. The organization into conversations has caused me to miss important information more than once when multiple replys come in. I missed out on a job offer because it decided that it was "social", thereby not showing up in my main inbox OR my phones notifications. The new message composition 'window' is less intuitive and harder to use, especially since it does not indicate whether my signature is appended or not. A feature as core as "sign out" is buried in menus.

They sold sketchup, and it's turned into a cartoon. I'm using v8.0, because I can't stand the new iterations. It's the only drafting software I don't update every year. 3Dwarehouse is also overflowing with garbage, wheras it used to have a lot more useful content.

I've never been much of a youtuber, but I hear there are myriad complaints on that front as well.

Even their search engine, previously the pinnacle of minimalist beauty, is declining in usefulness. They broke the advanced option into two menus. Their crawlers heavily lean to social media, which is not helpful at all when searching for scholarly information. The image search frequently returns broken links, and doesn't actually indicate how many hits the search returned.

Anyone else giving up? Any good alternatives? I hate bing maps, but I've been using it for 90% of stuff since the update to google maps came out. I've just given up on GE. I'm contemplating getting a windows phone for my next upgrade, because it seems that being tethered to google has become a detriment to my productivity instead of encouraging it. Every day I find a new feature that I could previously do that is now rendered either convoluted or impossible after an update. I can't remember the last time an update introduced a new feature that was actually useful instead of breaking everything.

GAH!

Yeah their new interfaces are awful. Especially maps. Though I managed to turn off all the grouping stuff for Gmail at least.

Maps is terrible now because they are forcing Google Earth into the web app. If you have Chrome, it works fine, but any other browser and you're stuck waiting for it to force itself into "lite mode" which is actually just Google-freakin-Maps... what you actually came for! Streetview is also more difficult to navigate and place correctly. I too have been frustrated by the disappearance of addresses.

Google needs to understand that Maps and Earth are and should be two separate entities.

Chrome is my favorite search browser.

I do remember a whole bunch of people on youtube complaining a few months ago about the new policy about using Google+ for submitting comments. Well, that's over now and nobody is whining anymore.

I definitely agree on the new Maps interface. It's clunky and aggravating. I've started to get used to it, and I don't use Maps (or GE) all that much on the desktop anyway, so it hasn't frustrated me completely.

However, THIS:

Gmail, what converted me to google in the first place, is also becoming nonfunctional. The organization into conversations has caused me to miss important information more than once when multiple replys come in. I missed out on a job offer because it decided that it was "social", thereby not showing up in my main inbox OR my phones notifications. The new message composition 'window' is less intuitive and harder to use, especially since it does not indicate whether my signature is appended or not. A feature as core as "sign out" is buried in menus.

GAH!

I don't mind the separation of "Inbox, Promotions, Social" in theory. And in practice, it hasn't hurt me too bad. I don't yet receive too many promotional emails (i constantly unsubscribe and avoid providing email for as much as possible) so a quick glance in the morning or in the afternoon and I can see if anything important accidentally ended up there. Very occasionally, something does end up in there that shouldn't be, and slightly more often, promotions end up in my primary inbox. However, I still prefer the current system to having 40 new messages in my inbox by 9am, about 35 of which are junk or "updates" from Facebook, Twitter, etc. It has a lot of room for improvement, but I like the concept.

The bolded is where I'm with you 100%. Aside from my day job, I do some freelance graphic design. When I'm working on a project for a client, the conversations are lengthy and and it's vital that I can easily pick out and retain important info. I can't tell you how many times I've missed important info and looked completely incompetent when emailing someone back a few hours later and asking for info they just gave me. Like I said, it's a side job and I get work opportunities through referrals. Asking someone for info they've already sent makes it appear as if I'm not paying attention. Most of the clients I do work for are small business owners and it's critical that they see me as being on top of things and as invested in my work as they are in theirs. Asking for redundant info is not helping.

I've resorted to starting new email chains after a conversation reaches about 10 total exchanges. I have to do this because it's simply too hard to weed through a conversation any longer than that. I'll be interested in reading the suggestions posted here.

The bolded is where I'm with you 100%. Aside from my day job, I do some freelance graphic design. When I'm working on a project for a client, the conversations are lengthy and and it's vital that I can easily pick out and retain important info. I can't tell you how many times I've missed important info and looked completely incompetent when emailing someone back a few hours later and asking for info they just gave me. Like I said, it's a side job and I get work opportunities through referrals. Asking someone for info they've already sent makes it appear as if I'm not paying attention. Most of the clients I do work for are small business owners and it's critical that they see me as being on top of things and as invested in my work as they are in theirs. Asking for redundant info is not helping.

I've resorted to starting new email chains after a conversation reaches about 10 total exchanges. I have to do this because it's simply too hard to weed through a conversation any longer than that. I'll be interested in reading the suggestions posted here.

My large issue is its often a chain with multiple people involved. So while I'm doing other things person X and Y are chatting away about information I need to know, but I only see one notification and may miss something really important. It happened recently working on a project, a whole bunch of information I needed to know about was discussed, but all I saw was "want to meet up at the pour house after". Since I was still groggy eyed I didn't notice all the other messages, and looked like an asshole when I had to ask a thousand questions and didn't bring the stuff I was asked to. It's a bit better on the desktop, but on my phone it's not obvious at all.

I imagine people who work at google use gmail, so I don't understand how they can be okay with this.

As for the inbox separation, I have a garbage email I use for everything that is not communication with a human, so I don't get social or promotional emails on my primary account. So if something turns up there, I don't see it, because I have no reason to check.

FYI - Some colleges actually use the Gmail client. Google has been pressuring colleges to switch from Exchange servers to Gmail and it has been working because of the better Docs, Drive/cloud, etc integration. My husband graduated from Elmira a few years ago and by then they had totally switched to Gmail.

Maps is terrible in Chrome too. Sooooo slow.

I pretty much have to type every address twice because I always forget that it doesn't work, it wipes out whatever I typed, and finally it loads.

At work we are stuck with an ancient version of Firefox (as many of our workstations still have Scientific Linux 5.x on them), which does not really like the new google maps or gmail. Fortunately I usually use gmail through an imap client.

Google local is a total waste of bits. Who is going to review a local place under their real name (Google+) and risk retribution or reputational damage just having it "out there"? Nobody. There's a reason Yelp offers usernames/avatars.

And so, there are very few reviews of local places. AND YET... Having google local reviews is essential for small business SEO on google!

In Maps, if you click the help button it will let you use the old version. This is probably temporary but should help until you find something else.

In Gmail go to Menu > Configure Inbox.

My large issue is its often a chain with multiple people involved. So while I'm doing other things person X and Y are chatting away about information I need to know, but I only see one notification and may miss something really important. It happened recently working on a project, a whole bunch of information I needed to know about was discussed, but all I saw was "want to meet up at the pour house after". Since I was still groggy eyed I didn't notice all the other messages, and looked like an asshole when I had to ask a thousand questions and didn't bring the stuff I was asked to. It's a bit better on the desktop, but on my phone it's not obvious at all.

I imagine people who work at google use gmail, so I don't understand how they can be okay with this.

The problems for me are multiplied exponentially when multiple parties are involved in an exchange. I've run into the exact same issue and it is embarrassing. Believe it or not, my favorite place to read my gmail is in the crummy windows mail app on my Surface tablet. It organizes the email so much better. I used to keep email open on the second monitor of my desktop, but I now just keep the windows mail app up. It's helped. The gmail app for my phone is essentially useless, but it's slightly less useless than the stop iPhone mail app.

FYI - Some colleges actually use the Gmail client. Google has been pressuring colleges to switch from Exchange servers to Gmail and it has been working because of the better Docs, Drive/cloud, etc integration. My husband graduated from Elmira a few years ago and by then they had totally switched to Gmail.

I graduated from the University of Southern Maine in 2009 and we had converted over to gmail in 2007. I don't even think the cloud was really a thing back then, but it was still infinitely better than Horde which we were using previously.

I graduated from the University of Southern Maine in 2009 and we had converted over to gmail in 2007. I don't even think the cloud was really a thing back then, but it was still infinitely better than Horde which we were using previously.

Office365 has helped make up for the ground Exchange lost from its shortcomings. WIT switched from Exchange to O365/Outlook last year and it's been great.

Google is starting to replace Microsoft's stranglehold on IT infrastructure at large corporations too. Microsoft is very scared of this now because Google just needs one or two dominoes to fall and other big companies will start adopting them too.

Bringing this back to the top with the discovery that google decided to get rid of the used_by_everyone_else boolean + modifier for searches (to force results to contain that word), and replaced it with "". Not only do quotes take more time to type in, but it also does NOT work the same way as the + modifier. While it does force it to search for exactly that word (instead of synonyms, another "feature" google implemented to cripple its search), it does not require results to contain that word.

FML

They just changed up their mobile news page - and, go figure, it's unusable. UNLESS you sign in to google but I refuse to stay signed into google on my phone.

It's the nature of these tech giants to create products designed to get you reliant on them, then once that happens they continuously tinker with it and basically just fuck with their users because they can. They claim it's about "creating a better experience" but most people are perfectly fine with the product as is and don't need or want "improvements" forced upon them. I personally think it's more about ego and the power trip these companies get from being so invasive in the personal details of so many lives. I'm sure too there is probably some economic rationale, of which making ones life easier is not taken into consideration - wouldn't be profitable enough.

I know I've wasted massive amounts of energy having to re-orient myself to every "update" I get from Google, Facebook, Apple, etc. I wouldn't get to comfortable with Google Maps classic because like the option to use flickr "classic" I'm sure the option will be phased out. If these companies want you to use a certain platform, you damn well are going to end up doing just that, even if it takes a little longer than they prefer. The only thing you can really count on is that if something useful gets created, it will certainly be changed for the worse. That's why I don't get too bent out of shape if the latest update sucks - I know it will probably end up changing into something else soon enough and if it sucks at least I won't miss it as much.

Sorry for the rant but it comes after trying to create a walking route map on Google and running into the most idiotic, inane blocks.

Back