Google ruins everything they touch

The thing with the new maps is its not so much a tinker that you have to relearn, like gmail and facebook constantly does. They have 100% destroyed its functionality. Can't turn off labels, can't disable the 3d buildings, slow as all hell even on my schools $2000 rendering rigs, the blue streetview outline is gone, I don't even think there is a measurement tool anymore. Its useless as a map, and its useless for anyone using the raw satellite imagery. I've already switched to bing (which I can't stand) for most day to day things, and I'm not alone.

There is tinkering just to tinker, and then there is making a product so useless it can't even do its assigned job. Its like building a fancy refrigerator that orders food for you, makes recepie recommendations, has a great ice maker, but can't maintain a consistant temperature. You're a damned fridge, do your job.

Remember the rule of online services. If you are not paying for it, you are not the customer, you are the product.

My version of Google maps, running on a standard PC, has the blue street outline for streetview, has a measurement scale, allows me to enable/disable the 45 degree view, and switch labels on/off.

I run maps as an app off Chrome.

When I run Google maps as an app on Firefox, I get the same functionality as I do in Chrome.

Let me try the new Google maps in Firefox.

Ah I just reread your post. I think Davem is talking about a tool where you could pick points and measure distance rather than just the tiny graphic scale they show at the bottom.

Maps (new version) also works really well for me on my home and work PCs (custom built). I think it works alright and enjoy using it. Less clutter, more map/imagery.

I run maps as an app off Chrome.

When I run Google maps as an app on Firefox, I get the same functionality as I do in Chrome.

Let me try the new Google maps in Firefox.

In the new Google maps in Lite mode, running on Firefox, I can't turn labels on/off in satellite view, nor can I go to 45 degree angle in satellite view. A scale and blue street lines for streetview are still there.

New | Old

This is likely the most perfect image showing everything wrong with the new maps.

Apparently easy DIRECTIONS are not something google deems necessary for a MAPS application. But don't worry, I can see other peoples pretty pictures and Boston Volvo Village!
14153532018_0bd167a7a1_b.jpg

Link

No google, I didn't want a random address in Concord. Also, notice which window is "not responding". You've made what was a "one click" action (type address to: address) into a three click operation (type starting point, click "directions" type ending point).

Edit: Here's another fun one. I wanted to see the corner of government center that's apparently about to collapse in satellite view.
14336933641_95187e881f_b.jpg

Link

Mmm hmm. At least it only crashed the maps app and not my entire browser, as the first image did. So apparently, I can render complex raycasting models in vray with no problem, or load up the BRAs autocad model of the back bay, but searching in a 2D map crashes everything.

Last edited:
Yeah the new maps suck. Especially the custom maps are really hard to work with.

Re: New | Old

This is likely the most perfect image showing everything wrong with the new maps.

Apparently easy DIRECTIONS are not something google deems necessary for a MAPS application. But don't worry, I can see other peoples pretty pictures and Boston Volvo Village!
14153532018_0bd167a7a1_b.jpg

Link

No google, I didn't want a random address in Concord. Also, notice which window is "not responding". You've made what was a "one click" action (type address to: address) into a three click operation (type starting point, click "directions" type ending point).

Just remove the colon from your query. https://www.google.com/search?q=02134+to+10924

I agree there is a lot wrong with the new maps. It crashes frequently in Firefox. There are improvements though. The latest version of the android app is pretty great for directions.

Re: New | Old

The latest version of the android app is pretty great for directions.

Speaking of that, the new Android Maps will automatically switch from the US English lady to the UK English lady to pronounce certain street names now. A good example is Bowdoin St, which the US English lady would always say as "Bao-doyn" or "Bo-do-in," but now it automatically switches to the UK English and she says "Bodin."

So has anyone noticed that when replying in gmail you can no longer edit the subject line? I used to use the reply all function and then delete all the contents and subject so I wouldn't have to add all the emails manually to talk to people in my class.

Yes, I know I could make a group, but
a) that's more work than it should be and
b) I don't want to add all these people to my contacts.

I am still able to edit subject. The dropdown box next to the recipient list named "Type of Response" has a menu item for it.

I am still able to edit subject. The dropdown box next to the recipient list named "Type of Response" has a menu item for it.

Thanks. Never even noticed that dropdown. I was always searching on the first menu with 'reply' and 'reply all'

Honestly I find the gmail interface to be very confusing and I don't understand why things are placed the way they are. I always have to hunt for it too.

Anyone remember when Google was all about simplicity and minimalism?

Fortunately gmail works fine with an imap client (although I'm pretty sure I'm the only person I know who still uses an e-mail client...)

Andddddddddd I can't create maps in 'Classic' Maps anymore as of two days ago. I can still edit old ones, but they're telling me I can create new ones only if I permanently transfer to the *new* Google Maps (which they admit they'll force me to in a few months anyway).

such is the price we pay for succumbing to our proprietary overlords

Back