Gov't Center Station Rebuild

We shouldn't complain about a little bird shit dropping on the glass. This is the nicest thing to go in government center since they destroyed Scully Square. Let's celebrate the little victories.

We discussed this somewhere back in this thread but basically the pigeon problem will be much less than you think. The glass surface isn't that easy for a bird to grasp hold of and the fact that it is so out in the open means that it would make them easy prey. Sure you will have a drop of shit now and then but I think our fears are misplaced.

I think Porter Square proves this wrong. The glass is tired and clouded with years of weathering and baked-in pigeon shit.

They need to cover the top of the head house with little spikes to keep them away and from congregating there. I'm so willing to bet that even before the station reopens, that the top will be all crapped on! :eek:

Last edited:
They need to cover the top of the head house with little spikes to keep them away and from gathering there. I'm so willing to bet that even before the station reopens, that the top will be all crapped on! :eek:

I think you already are. ;)

No matter how it ends up, this is infinitely better than the old brick bunker.

Yes, this. I think the new glass headhouse is ludicrously oversized and silly but compared to the old bunker it's a massive improvement. That thing was cancerous to the aesthetics of the plaza area.

Someone referred to this as "The Fish Tank" on twitter, and I'm gonna go ahead and suggest that we make that nickname stick.

Someone referred to this as "The Fish Tank" on twitter, and I'm gonna go ahead and suggest that we make that nickname stick.

Haha I just saw that too and thought it was clever.

I think they're applying some protective film on the glass right now.

I haven't been following this so closely. All of the changes I see in the renderings are on the exterior - will there be anything new down below? Are they changing the layout or at least refurbishing the tracks some so there aren't deafening shrieks from trains entering the station?

I haven't been following this so closely. All of the changes I see in the renderings are on the exterior - will there be anything new down below? Are they changing the layout or at least refurbishing the tracks some so there aren't deafening shrieks from trains entering the station?

No layouts are being changed underground, aside from adding elevators and new stair locations. The finishes are mainly just getting redone. The tracks (tight curve) will remain the same and the squeaking will too. I've heard that Type 9s could possibly mitigate the squeaking slightly.

Last edited:
There is one major change underground (aside from the elevators): the GL platforms are being rearranged slightly so that there is no longer the dangerous narrow spot on the northbound platform.

There is one major change underground (aside from the elevators): the GL platforms are being rearranged slightly so that there is no longer the dangerous narrow spot on the northbound platform.

That's really just a matter of moving the stairs/escalator. The core shape of the platform remains the same/tracks stay in place.

No layouts are being changed underground, aside from adding elevators and new stair locations. The finishes are mainly just getting redone. The tracks (tight curve) will remain the same and the squeaking will too. I've heard that Type 9s could possibly mitigate the squeaking slightly.

This is rather disappointing. So what is taking 2+ years?

This is rather disappointing. So what is taking 2+ years?

This has been the whole plan all along... Nothing new.

They're gutting the station of literally everything which isn't holding the place from collapsing. Perhaps they're even replacing support columns, too.

Haha I just saw that too and thought it was clever.

I think they're applying some protective film on the glass right now.

Data -- Nano Technology to the Rescue
MIT has developed a carbon nanotube film that can be used to deice aircraft windows and even heat composites to nearly 1000 degrees -- Pigeon Hot-foot :)

http://newsoffice.mit.edu/2015/carbon-nanotube-film-heats-composite-materials-0414
Taking aircraft manufacturing out of the oven
New technique uses carbon nanotube film to directly heat and cure composite materials.
Jennifer Chu | MIT News Office
April 14, 2015

A new film of carbon nanotubes cures composites for airplane wings and fuselages, using only 1 percent of the energy required by traditional, oven-based manufacturing processes.

MIT-Out-Oven-01.jpg

....Carbon nanotube deicers
Wardle and his colleagues have experimented with CNT films in recent years, mainly for deicing airplane wings. The team recognized that in addition to their negligible weight, carbon nanotubes heat efficiently when exposed to an electric current.
The group first developed a technique to create a film of aligned carbon nanotubes composed of tiny tubes of crystalline carbon, standing upright like trees in a forest. The researchers used a rod to roll the “forest” flat, creating a dense film of aligned carbon nanotubes.
In experiments, Wardle and his team integrated the film into airplane wings via conventional, oven-based curing methods, showing that when voltage was applied, the film generated heat, preventing ice from forming.

and if that doesn't work the 1000 degree options could do the self-cleaning oven thing :cool:

This has been the whole plan all along... Nothing new.

They're gutting the station of literally everything which isn't holding the place from collapsing. Perhaps they're even replacing support columns, too.

Yes, I realize it was the plan all along. Datadyne said that "finishes are just mainly being redone" that suggested to me that this is not a gut/complete overhaul.

Yes, I realize it was the plan all along. Datadyne said that "finishes are just mainly being redone" that suggested to me that this is not a gut/complete overhaul.

Well they're raising the whole GL level to a high level platform. I personally lump that in with finishes. My comment was mainly indicating that GC isn't really being redesigned in terms of track layout and thus the awkward island platform remains.

Well they're raising the whole GL level to a high level platform. I personally lump that in with finishes. My comment was mainly indicating that GC isn't really being redesigned in terms of track layout and thus the awkward island platform remains.

Thanks for the clarification. So can we assume that the "finishes" in the sense of interior materials/veneers will be upgraded to something "classier" (for lack of a better word)--i.e., no more concrete floors, Home Depot bathroom tile walls and sprayed stucco ceilings?

Thanks for the clarification. So can we assume that the "finishes" in the sense of interior materials/veneers will be upgraded to something "classier" (for lack of a better word)--i.e., no more concrete floors, Home Depot bathroom tile walls and sprayed stucco ceilings?

Pretty much. Roomier too since the false cinderblock wall that separated the old Brattle Loop platform from the main station (and was the reason that the inbound platform is so claustrophobic at the rear end) is coming down. If you've ever been on a Brattle Loop-terminating train there is a LOT of room back there. A whole other regulation side platform station's worth unto itself. At the very least enough reclaimed space to put quite a few more vendor carts.

Back