Gov't Center Station Rebuild

My favorite upgrade on the new station is automatic sliding doors at the entrance. After years of struggling with awkward entry doors and those awful revolving doors at Back Bay, it will be nice to have some automatic sliding doors at a T station. Maybe it's the wave of the future? :)

My favorite upgrade on the new station is automatic sliding doors at the entrance. After years of struggling with awkward entry doors and those awful revolving doors at Back Bay, it will be nice to have some automatic sliding doors at a T station. Maybe it's the wave of the future? :)

Assembly also has them, so yes, the T is using them for its new stations. I believe all the GLX stations have them too.

Pretty much. Roomier too since the false cinderblock wall that separated the old Brattle Loop platform from the main station (and was the reason that the inbound platform is so claustrophobic at the rear end) is coming down. If you've ever been on a Brattle Loop-terminating train there is a LOT of room back there. A whole other regulation side platform station's worth unto itself. At the very least enough reclaimed space to put quite a few more vendor carts.

Okay F-Line.. are you sure about that? Cuz I'm curious now.

I remember reading in the couple of the meeting notes that no work would be done to the Brattle loop (from behind the wall) and the wall would remain. And if you look in the docs provided online, the scope of work area seems like it doesn't include the wall or the Brattle loop. (I tried to find the detailed plan online of the station but it appears it was taken down at some point)

And besides, it doesn't make sense to re-do the station, take down the wall, and leave the old Brattle Loop platform all scuzzy looking.

I do know they are adding offices to the brattle loop side of the Lechmere platform (the other side where the mural was) but nothing on the other side of the loop.

Sorry no photos but there is lots of new steel up for what will be the corners of the entrance lobby. With these posts in place you can really see that this is a large space.

This appears to show the Brattle Loop's wall gone:
May15_16.jpg

I read this as looking "uphill" with all the new vertical access at left and the construction screen (protecting the active outbound track) visible at the far left.

Maybe others can better read the May 2015 photo set they just posted.

Would it kill them to post high res shots?

This is what puzzles me the most. Any modern camera phone defaults to a resolution of around 3000x2000. You actually have to TRY VERY HARD to shrink a photo down to that size. I don't get why or how the MBTA does it and why they haven't put a lightbox code on their website for photo viewing.

This is what puzzles me the most. Any modern camera phone defaults to a resolution of around 3000x2000. You actually have to TRY VERY HARD to shrink a photo down to that size. I don't get why or how the MBTA does it and why they haven't put a lightbox code on their website for photo viewing.

Would it surprise you if they were still using a Sony Mavica with a floppy?

MassDOT has a Flickr page! Someone at the MBTA is fucking it up (surprise?)

Probably the Baker commission told them to cut down on site bandwidth to save costs.

Probably the Baker commission told them to cut down on site bandwidth to save costs.

Pictures & website have been sucky since well before the election (March 2014). Just general incompetence.

Pictures & website have been sucky since well before the election (March 2014). Just general incompetence.

My guess is a Boston Carman's Union work rule that's been in place since the days of the BERY -- something to do with the digital equivalent of glass gelatin plates versus collodion wet plates and portable darkrooms

I read this as looking "uphill" with all the new vertical access at left and the construction screen (protecting the active outbound track) visible at the far left.

If that's true, then this section never had a wall to begin with. It is hard to tell, but it looks like the wall is still there at the curve up ahead.

Well the picture above is looking south from the old brattle loop side of the Lechmere platform looking into the station. The wall on the right is a new wall (moved about 10 feet out front of the old one for offices along the loop).

In the distance.. and many other pictures the wall remains. But if you look at the scope of work below (as said in this presentation document), it appears everything except the wall and and the loop will have work done to them.

Plus I renew my comment about, if no work is being done, why take down a wall that will reveal a scuzzy looking Brattle loop.

Scope of Work:

17351800306_b397969390_c.jpg

Also look at this photo from January.. you can see the wall has remained. And I doubt its going to come down after, because most (if not all) the demo has been done already.

Glass22.jpg

I also agree about the photos. I can't believe how low res they are. They are purposely doing this (or a crappy web server who can't deal or resize large picture files on the fly).. sheesh. You'd think they'd want to post better photos so people can see the work being done!

Edit: just looked again and this photo (from April) shows the wall remains!

May15_18.jpg

I probably misunderstood which wall we were discussing: the one shielding the Inbound GL platform or the Outbound?

I probably misunderstood which wall we were discussing: the one shielding the Inbound GL platform or the Outbound?

I know i was talking to F-Line originally about the inbound (to Park) wall that separates the platform from the brattle loop from the platform. Originally he said it was coming down.. I disagree. (see above)

cden -- the station perhaps eyesore of the month -- the background human parking structure aka City Hall --- eyesore of the Century [20th and counting] ;)

Wow people are never happy with anything.. fine we can go back to the bunker, that was better? right?

(no, not you whighlander, the link is what Im talking about)

Back