Gov't Center Station Rebuild

^ It was answered on the last page. They cancelled closing Bowdoin when they cancelled the Blue-only egress on the NW edge of the platform.

Hopefully Bowdoin will remain open as much as it has been. It's been enormously useful having it available after work and on weekends, and would be a shame to see it go back to closing down so early.

^ It was answered on the last page. They cancelled closing Bowdoin when they cancelled the Blue-only egress on the NW edge of the platform.

"When plans were first developed to modernize Government Center in the 1990s, the intent was for the rebuilt Government Center station to feature a second full time entrance from the west end of the Blue Line platform. Bowdoin would be closed when this entrance opened, as it would be a short distance away. However, the original bids came in much higher than anticipated and the Government Center project was delayed. When the project was rebid several years later, the plans for the second entrance were removed as a cost savings.

There are no longer plans to close Bowdoin. The eastbound platform at Bowdoin can only hold four car trains which was thought in the 1990s to be a potential problem as full six-car train operation was anticipated. The present #5 Blue Line cars feature a passenger operated door function which allows only the doors on four cars to be used on the eastbound platform at Bowdoin. This solved the six-car train problem at Bowdoin. Bowdoin was not designated a "key station" in the MBTA's 1990 ADA plan and has not had any major changes made, and thus is not obligated to be made accessible."

Ok, I got it. Thanks.

There were sprinklers setup above the mockup today spraying water all over it with 3 construction workers jammed in the little space and a few more watching. It was actually a funny sight. Anyone k ow what was going on? Testing the seal?

Wowza!

https://twitter.com/mike_kix/status/599277998752292864/photo/1

CFEQKeZUEAAjKrQ.jpg:large

^ It looks delightfully spacious. Choosing glass was probably just to ensure that it didn't look like one of the Big Dig's vent/fan buildings.

I never realized the scale of this before. That's pretty big.

Indeed. I think the immense scale might actually help the visual balance of the plaza. City Hall will still loom over it in massive form, but the station's large presence should help balance the scale.

What's becoming apparent now is the relative scale of form vs function

The small shed actually encloses all of the entrance and headhouse functions -- aka "da bunkah"

The Huge Glass "Foster" is just a skylight

What's becoming apparent now is the relative scale of form vs function

The small shed actually encloses all of the entrance and headhouse functions -- aka "da bunkah"

The Huge Glass "Foster" is just a skylight

I think that the idea behind that is to let some of the natural light down into the station during daylight hours.

The same concept was used for North Station on the Orange Line platform. :cool:

The two story glass freight car would have better fit the context of the site as a one story glass structure with a roof sloped toward the Sears-Crescent building (instead of a peaked roof). The one story design would have obviously let in as much light to the subway as a two story, without being so damned obtrusive.

The two story glass freight car would have better fit the context of the site as a one story glass structure with a roof sloped toward the Sears-Crescent building (instead of a peaked roof). The one story design would have obviously let in as much light to the subway as a two story, without being so damned obtrusive.

Charlie -- that's about how I'd do it if it was 2x4's or you even could leave one end high and slope toward the Sears Crescent in 2 directions -- a bit of a rectangular pyramid

Charlie -- that's about how I'd do it if it was 2x4's or you even could leave one end high and slope toward the Sears Crescent in 2 directions -- a bit of a rectangular pyramid

This whole design should be a set of intersecting double crescents -- echoing the Sears and Center Plaza crescents. I know "curves cost money", but don't pretend that glass sarcophagus doesn't cost money as well.

Some will call this government waste, but presentation is important when it comes to increasing ridership. I'm glad to see something not too utilitarian.

Anyone know if the immediate surroundings will be paved with something other than red brick?

Some will call this government waste, but presentation is important when it comes to increasing ridership. I'm glad to see something not too utilitarian.

Anyone know if the immediate surroundings will be paved with something other than red brick?

Brick & concrete...

ProposedStationHeadHouse.jpg

ProposedHeadHouseEntry.jpg

Back