Gov't Center Station Rebuild

My inbound green line trolley really lingered today as it passed through. The columns seem much less obtrusive than they used to, and at noon great light flooded down the stairs & escalator from the fare-paid lobby. Feels as good as the opening up of the Custom House end of BL's Aquarium stop did in its debut.

I got a tour of the station last week. It's mostly complete. They'll have no trouble making the deadline for next week. The path to the station on the plaza appears to be ready as well. When you come up the stairs from the green line to the lobby, the headhouse really is striking. So bright and airy. I think if it were any shorter it would have a completely different feel.

Some things I didn't like:
1. The retail space is a little awkwardly placed with a very small sales window. It's on a pretty dead part of the platform.
2. The outer walls of the blue line tunnel were not touched. So while we have a brand new center platform, lighting, and the works, the outer tunnel wall is still dingy with broken tiles.
3. No "modern" (LED) light fixtures. All fluorescent.

2. The outer walls of the blue line tunnel were not touched. So while we have a brand new center platform, lighting, and the works, the outer tunnel wall is still dingy with broken tiles.

Seriously?

Seriously?

Yeah. The walls are quite dirty. The documents at one point owned tile cleaning & repairing scope for all platform walls. Not sure what happened or maybe if they are just waiting until this weekend to clean everything before the big Monday opening. (1 week!!)

Yeah. The walls are quite dirty. The documents at one point owned tile cleaning & repairing scope for all platform walls. Not sure what happened or maybe if they are just waiting until this weekend to clean everything before the big Monday opening. (1 week!!)

Seems odd that on a multi-million dollar project that they wouldn't replace the most visually-impactful-yet-relatively-inexpensive element with something along the lines of Arlington.

I'll be the foolish optimist: that sounds like something that would be the very last thing they do in a re-build like this. I expect they will do some tile cleaning on Sunday night and make it really shine for the ribbon cutting.

I'll be the foolish optimist: that sounds like something that would be the very last thing they do in a re-build like this. I expect they will do some tile cleaning on Sunday night and make it really shine for the ribbon cutting.

I suspect that this is what's going to happen as well. The T and State both need the good publicity from this and they're going to want everything to be perfect. It's not often we do something on time and on budget in Boston.

Well I was told that there are 4 layers of tile and fixing it would be a huge can of worms. The green line walls are clean and painted, but the blue line wasn't touched (as of last week at least. maybe they'll shine them up, but don't expect any repairs).

Late night service's last night is Friday night. So, technically, they have Saturday night and Sunday night to do the work. If they did a two night blitz, they may be able to make some serious progress.

I hope you're right and at the very least they clean the tile, but really, that tile looks like low-end crap. If cleaned, it will look like cleaned low-end crap. Seems a bit penny-wise, pound-foolish. The Arlington tile isn't fancy but looks respectable (looks like semi-matte porcelain rather than glazed ceramic).

Best thing about this project: Emerging from underground to well-framed views of Faneuil hall and the old north church.

Worst thing about this project: Complete failure to interact with the Sears crescent

It still pisses me off that they didnt reopen the Blue Line direct entrance.

Also idiotic that they didnt turn the brattle loop into a high floor platform for future high floor trains that would run on the new extension

Also, eliminating the ped islands on Congress and repalcing with endless asphalt hatch marks???? WTF

My understanding is the "station name in black Helvetica on white, blobby colored line designations underneath" is the new standard-- old signs will be replaced as stations are renovated.

And my opinion of that is that it's a shame and a step back.

This change must have been made very recently because all the Assembly signage is in the old style.

I got a tour of the station last week. It's mostly complete. They'll have no trouble making the deadline for next week. The path to the station on the plaza appears to be ready as well. When you come up the stairs from the green line to the lobby, the headhouse really is striking. So bright and airy. I think if it were any shorter it would have a completely different feel.

Some things I didn't like:
1. The retail space is a little awkwardly placed with a very small sales window. It's on a pretty dead part of the platform.
3. No "modern" (LED) light fixtures. All fluorescent.

SM -- you KNOW why the Fluorescents -- same reason that there were incandescents around for years after the then new fluorescents were introduced

Union contract -- Bulb Replacer 1st Class -- can't keep hiring them if there aren't any bulbs to replace

They probably are not standard fluorescents, but induction lamps like this:

IP65%20High%20Bay%20Induction%20Light%20240.jpg

The tube is filled with similar inert gases and phosphor coating that give off fluorescent glow, but there are no wires or starter mechanisms whatsoever inside the tube. Those metal or plastic rings around the tube excite the gas wirelessly with radio waves. They last 10 years, same as LEDs' rated lifespan, and can come in long-tube form as well as circular. Electrodes are what cause standard fluorescent tubes and CFL's to buzz and flicker, cause them to go dim or glitchy when they fail, and eventually crap out altogether. Eliminate the electrode, eliminate the limit on lifespan and all the unreliabilities that cause them to malfunction.

The T uses these all over the system for retrofits of existing fixtures and some types of new installations. They're preferable to LED's in some situations where very high-intensity light has to be spread in uniform direction from a single source (like those standard bell-shaped fixtures in lots of stations), something LED's are not always ideal at doing because they're dot matrix arrays on a silicon wafer shining strictly unidirectionally instead of all over. And unlike LED's they use standard replaceable bulbs; on an LED fixture the custom wafers may be hard-wired into the fixture and non-replaceable, or only replaceable for as long as the fixture manufacturer cares to keep that particular custom wafer in-stock. So when they do fail, induction is just a 2-minute bulb swap while some LED fixtures have to be wholesale-replaced for lack of any repair options.

It's not so simplistic like "if it isn't LED it's wasting energy". LED's aren't perfect for every type of light profile; induction lamps are sort of the default #2 choice now for the LEED-certification lighting toolbox. The T uses them as significant minority of its lighting retrofits. Porter headhouse, for example, first got them on its bell-shaped fixtures almost 6 years ago.

The threadshitter from Lexington should easily recognize induction fluorescents seeing as how they're now every goddamn streetlight in the town of Lexington. Maybe you should save the WHARRGARBL about the great Light Bulb Union conspiracy stealing your tax dollars for your own Board of Selectmen who let it happen right under your nose. :rolleyes:

They probably are not standard fluorescents, but induction lamps ....

Are these induction lamps what they are using in the rebuilt Green Line Type 7s? The first time I was boarding one, the light was so good I thought, "awesome, they went with LED". But then I can see through the plastic covers that there are fluorescent type long tubes. But the light looks like LED.

Whatever they used in those new/old 7s, the quality of light is great.

They probably are not standard fluorescents, but induction lamps like this:

The tube is filled with similar inert gases and phosphor coating that give off fluorescent glow, but there are no wires or starter mechanisms whatsoever inside the tube. Those metal or plastic rings around the tube excite the gas wirelessly with radio waves. They last 10 years, same as LEDs' rated lifespan, and can come in long-tube form as well as circular. Electrodes are what cause standard fluorescent tubes and CFL's to buzz and flicker, cause them to go dim or glitchy when they fail, and eventually crap out altogether. Eliminate the electrode, eliminate the limit on lifespan and all the unreliabilities that cause them to malfunction.

The T uses these all over the system for retrofits of existing fixtures and some types of new installations. They're preferable to LED's in some situations where very high-intensity light has to be spread in uniform direction from a single source (like those standard bell-shaped fixtures in lots of stations), something LED's are not always ideal at doing because they're dot matrix arrays on a silicon wafer shining strictly unidirectionally instead of all over. And unlike LED's they use standard replaceable bulbs; on an LED fixture the custom wafers may be hard-wired into the fixture and non-replaceable, or only replaceable for as long as the fixture manufacturer cares to keep that particular custom wafer in-stock. So when they do fail, induction is just a 2-minute bulb swap while some LED fixtures have to be wholesale-replaced for lack of any repair options.

It's not so simplistic like "if it isn't LED it's wasting energy". LED's aren't perfect for every type of light profile; induction lamps are sort of the default #2 choice now for the LEED-certification lighting toolbox. The T uses them as significant minority of its lighting retrofits. Porter headhouse, for example, first got them on its bell-shaped fixtures almost 6 years ago.
They were submitted as mostly all F32T8 fluorescents.

Back