Gov't Center Station Rebuild

Yeah I was thinking that. Since I arrived at rush hour, I had my choice of trains, one every 15 minutes. That would not work well off peak.

The SL actually made good time, despite being caught up at the stupid D street light. The all-door boarding helps a lot too.

Anyone have the original planning docs about this project? I forget what other thread they were in.

Breaking news. The headhouse is coming down right now. Still about half left as of 1:00. I hope they did some abatement there since I just inhaled a shitton of dust.

BnCtYuTCMAA9ziE.jpg:large

Credit: https://twitter.com/s313d/status/464061403003777024/photo/1

Hah, I was down there on Monday, wondered when it was going to happen.

The ugly Brutalist pimple is being popped!

Years ago, during a Q&A, I suggested to Daniel Grabauskas that the public would be a lot more amenable to disruptions caused by construction if they'd just send in someone with a digital camera to take a few shots every now and then. I asked him to throw them up on Flickr, or just on an easy-to-find page on the T's website so people could at least get a sense of what was happening behind the barricades.

He blew off the question.

Times change and I really appreciate the MBTA posting these. Closing the station outright was well worth it.

The escalators appear to be out of service.
DV3rhMu.jpg

It's really bright behind that sheathing, I wonder what's hap...
giUlrl7.jpg

...Oh...
R1wTPbT.jpg

Wow.
7mxJFA8.jpg

Even though the interior is a completely mess, it looks 100x better with natural lighting.

Check em all out! I wish the T would put a lightbox gallery script on that page though. Opening the pix individually is ridiculous in 2014.

Baby steps -- that will take the T at least another decade or two.

By then we'll be viewing 3D holograms.

The shutdown is completely reasonable. What's puzzling is why a shutdown station takes 2 years to renovate. Seems like something that should only take 6 months or so.

Because it is a major undertaking, and the station has been neglected for so long.

If the station was allowed to remain open during the renovation program, it would take much longer than 2 years to complete.

I believe I read when they were proposing the shutdown versus keeping the station open that the timeline was three years if the station remained open, two years if it were closed. The MBTA never explained why we're only able to save a third of the time with the closure. Two years still seems like a very long time for the renovation considering they have unfettered access 34/7/365 to the job site.

2 years is way too long. The impact on the surrounding businesses has got to be severe. Overnight thousands of blue line and green line riders who used to exit and enter this station and frequent the nearby business are now gone. I am one of them.

2 years is way too long. The impact on the surrounding businesses has got to be severe. Overnight thousands of blue line and green line riders who used to exit and enter this station and frequent the nearby business are now gone. I am one of them.

Then someone needs to cough up the coin to renovate stations more frequently.

50 years between renovations is a long time. It means the overhaul is truly major. If you don't like the result of the neglect, then advocate for more funding for frequent T renovations. Canvas those local businesses as well -- they should be pitching in as well.

The station platforms are closed, the tracks are still in use, seven days a week.

Doyle Drive in San Francisco is being re-constructed, but they didn't shut the highway down. Construction time from start to finish: seven years.
http://www.presidioparkway.org/construction_info/schedule.aspx

If they shut down both the tracks and the platforms, reconstruction would go a lot faster.

2 years is totally reasonable for what they need to do here. The T has actually been finishing projects AHEAD of schedule lately too.

Do you guys really want another Copley or Arlington debacle?

You can still get off the train at Bowden Station and walk up a short distance to Gov't Center. I've done that many times. :cool:

Also, the T may finally be getting the "under promise and over achieve" mentality. Most of their recent projects have come in under schedule.

Back