Gov't Center Station Rebuild

^I feel you on this. Government Center was the first station I ever used when I started living here; and I remember it so vividly: packed platforms, sweltering heat, screeching trains. It was so uncomfortable but wonderfully new and exciting at the same time. And there really was/is no other station like it in the system. Either way, it'll stay with me.

It will STILL have a bit of the old flavor of yesteryear with the old Scolley Square signs and other little things from that era.

But you're right, drastic improvements were much needed for the station, especially to make it ADA accessible. :cool:

Bump to learn if anyone has any knowledge of milestone achievement expressed through imagery! :)

I tried to Google any new developments from time to time, but they (officials) seem awfully slow about furnishing any new stuff. :eek:

Just checked on the MBTA's website.

Info there is old, posted before the station had closed. I know nothing more that I knew since we found out that the headhouse is u/c.

^They couldn't make those photos any larger? I can barely see what's going on.

Looks like they've started to put glass up.

XZj9jKG.jpg

^ That headhouse is such a strange, bizarre structure. And now we are stuck with it whenever they decide to finally redo the desert that is City Hall Plaza.

Glass looks very high quality and I love the way the white structure looks behind it. I'm looking forward to this new addition to CHP.

Extravagant waste of money for an agency that is always struggling to find money.

Extravagant? Well not really. Stations like this cost millions ANYWHERE and the design is pretty minimal without looking completely utilitarian. What would you have preferred, a simple staircase into the ground? That wouldn't have saved that much in the long run especially since the whole point is to make the station ADA compliant. The MBTA also has a duty to make it's stations a part of the urban fabric and while anything they do at City Hall Plaza is lipstick on a pig at least it's something.

^ That headhouse is such a strange, bizarre structure. And now we are stuck with it whenever they decide to finally redo the desert that is City Hall Plaza.

We all want CHP redone but think about it this way: it's the city and it's the most high profile site of land in the city if/when they decide to redevelop it. It's going to take years to get everyone on board and a developer lined up with a good proposal before a single shovel of dirt is turned. The MBTA would be on board and incorporate the headhouse into a new design. While it would have been preferable to rebuild GC station while the plaza was being filled in it obviously isn't going to happen this way so whenever the plaza is filled in there will still be some way to expand GC station and use this headhouse.

So...have we seen enough to make educated guesses about whether this gets finished early?

Are you saying that it might be done before next March?

Yes, March of next year. Not this coming March.

Remember, that the rehab project is projected to be a 2-year facelift program - from March of last year, 2014 to March of NEXT year, 2016. :cool:

I think that the "gutting out" if you will, is still ongoing beneath City Hall Plaza.

No mention as of yet of anything new being put in, except for maybe the frame for the headhouse that you see in the pic .

Guess before or by this coming March, that'll start adding some of the new things below ground. :cool:

Back