Graffiti Images, Art, or Nuisance

Re: Pike Pictures (Not Pretty)

/\ /\ I don't know if you were being facetious or not, but that's actually a great idea.

The MBTA and Turnpike Authority are constantly scheming up ideas to produce more revenue, and right under their noses they've got miles upon miles of blank walls they can possibly monetize. Maybe they could even install a few zeotropes like the ones between South Station and Broadway on the red line.

Crass? Yeah, maybe. That never stopped them before, though. And I'd tolerate ads better than I'd tolerate fare/toll increases. It'd also be a vast improvement over the garbage graffiti that coats those surfaces now.

The most likely result of this will be graffiti over the advertisement which can actually make for some funny jokes if not taken too seriously.

Boston Herald - Oct 1, 2008
Graffiti vandal suspect slapped with $10,000 bail tag
By Laurel J. Sweet | Wednesday, October 1, 2008 |

A globe-trotting graffiti goon accused of desecrating historic Back Bay with her artistic upchuck was held on $10,000 cash bail yesterday after several of her victims painted a picture of solidarity by standing up in court.

?We want every community to push back and clean up,? Anne Swanson, co-chairman of The Graffiti NABBers, told the Herald. NABB stands for Neighborhood Association of Back Bay.

The terrorist taggers the city and private citizens mop up after are ?young people who think it?s a cool thing to do and just don?t think about the rest of us. They have no developed social conscience,? said Swanson, who has a degree in fine art.

Graffiti, she said, ?has nothing to do with art. It?s pure ego.?

Danielle Bremner, 26 - a student at the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York, whose mother is a high school teacher and whose father is a retired Big Apple cop - pleaded not guilty in Boston Municipal Court to 33 counts of tagging.

The pale, lank-haired woman who signs her work ?Utah? has been a fugitive from prosecution in Boston since May 2007. Bremner faces similar charges in East Boston, Quincy and her native New York. She was captured in August at Chicago?s O?Hare International Airport returning from a summer spent backpacking across Europe with friends.

Prosecutor Patrick Driscoll Jr. said Bremner is to blame for ?tens of thousands of dollars? in damages to Back Bay buildings, much of which was documented in photographs by Swanson and presented to Judge Annette Forde.

Bremner?s attorney, William Keefe, told Forde his client has little reason to flee.

?The probable disposition in this case is going to be a lengthy suspended sentence,? he predicted.

But Jake Wark, spokesman for Suffolk District Attorney Daniel Conley, told the Herald, ?Graffiti in any neighborhood contributes to a climate of lawlessness, and that?s a climate we won?t tolerate.?
Article URL: http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/general/view.bg?articleid=1122609

Banksy said it best:
2472238898_7c448a5b2d.jpg

"artistic upchuck" ? "terrorist taggers" ? With this article, the Herald gives up any remaining tenuous claim to objectivity.

Just being the devil's advocate here Ron -- I love Jean-Michel Basquiat, and as a teenager, I reveled in the music, art, and energy of hip hop culture. NYC in the 70's, up to the Giuliani-era, was the epicenter.

There are two problems with graffiti culture: great work often inspires "lesser talents" who cause blight (the same could be said about the Second Viennese School); also consider, in many neighborhoods, graffiti is a communications tool for gangs like MS-13.

I'm in no position to judge the value of Ms. Bremner's work, as I haven't seen it.

Those bubble letters is all she is contributing? I would consider it blight alone, but to Beton's point, lesser talents have "contributed" to that wall and it does look severly blighted.

I still don't understand how people support vandalization. Especially on private property, where unless the owner has longed for an oversized, bubble UTAH painted on their home/business, they will be the one's responsible to pay for its removal.

More Banksy:

ghost_a2.jpg

ghost_b.jpg

By its very nature, graffiti advocates lawlessness. In late Twentieth Century New York, the lawlessness was as pervasive as the graffiti.

^^Weren't you the one who claimed the damage done to the Christopher Columbus statue was merely an act of art criticism?

What self important trash. "...he's done more damage to the city than any category 5 hurricane could ever hope to." I've never been to New Orleans, but I imagine there are quite a few residents of the Bayou who might take exception to that statement. Bansky sounds like a category five asshole.

^^Weren't you the one who claimed the damage done to the Christopher Columbus statue was merely an act of art criticism?
Yeah, that was also an act of art criticism. ;)

?Pay no attention to what the critics say. No statue has ever been erected in honor of a critic.?

- Jean Sibelius

I believe a good critic is a teacher. He doesn't have the answers, but he can be an example of the process of finding your own answers. He can notice things, explain them, place them in any number of contexts, ponder why some "work" and others never could. He can urge you toward older movies to expand your context for newer ones. He can examine how movies touch upon individual lives, and can be healing, or damaging. He can defend them, and regard them as important in the face of those who are "just looking for a good time." He can argue that you will have a better time at a better movie. We are all allotted an unknown but finite number of hours of consciousness. Maybe a critic can help you spend them more meaningfully.
"Critic" is a four-letter word by Robert Ebert

Ya know, we can both be right on this one, statler.

The context for the Sibelius quote is the critical reaction to his astonishing Symphony #4 (1911), a work that will remain "forever Modern" in its taught, dark sound world. If you like Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen, or Nick Cave, you'll probably dig it.

I admire Ebert for his wide knowledge of world cinema and his ability to synthesize it in essay form. He's a good critic and a better teacher. I've learned loads of stuff from him. With that said, his opinion of David Lynch's Blue Velvet is utter nonsense.

^ Oh I dunno, I can see Ebert's point.

No statues for me, lads.

I'll be lucky to get a shallow, unmarked grave near a highway rest area.

The discussion of of the validity of art criticism is interesting, but I'm more interested in the discussion of "Is graffiti a true art form or just vandalism?"

I say art and like all art you have good art and bad art. And if you dismiss graffiti as vandalism based on the bad stuff you risk throwing the baby out with the bath water. I say let it be so we can judge for ourselves and enjoy the gems among the rocks.

Back