GrandMarc Residence Hall (YMCA) @ Northeastern U | 291 St. Botolph Street | Fenway

Re: YMCA/ Northeastern Dorm (formerly GrandMarc at St. Botolph)

The teens who use the gym will suffer the most. If you have ever been in the gym you will realize that there are very few "old school" gyms like it.

They will suffer even more when it's closed down due to a lack of funding. They have more to gain when the new gym is built as part of the deal.

But they added 500 members! That's, like, a bazillion extra dollars! Or something.

Re: NGCBY

....Northeastern has put a freshman cap at 2800 down from 4500, student population has decreased from a high of 60,000 in the 1980s to 20,000, a decrease of 33%. Admission standards has been raised. In a recent article at Northeastern University news:

"The quality of the applicant pool is also stronger than ever. The number of applicants with SAT scores above 1400 has doubled since five years ago. More than one-quarter of the applicant pool has a high school GPA of 4.0 or higher."

Acceptance rate dropped to a record low of 34.3%. The year I entered, (2008) acceptance rate was 39%. So basically, Northeastern has done everything you asked for in 1982. Why are you complaining?

Kent -- you may want to try to raise the Math SAT standards a bit more:
" student population has decreased from a high of 60,000 in the 1980s to 20,000, a decrease of 33%. "

Kent -- you may want to try to raise the Math SAT standards a bit more:
" student population has decreased from a high of 60,000 in the 1980s to 20,000, a decrease of 33%. "

My apologies, I meant to write, one-third or 33% from the high of 60,000. I will edit the original post.

And I scored a 720 on my Math SAT if you want to question my score..

Tom, let's keep the ad hominem arguments to a minimum.

They are also far more likely to live away from the Fens than domestic students. International Students tend to live in the surrounding area like Cambridge, Brighton, East Boston, Roxbury, West Roxbury etc. They are hardly restricted to the surrounding neighborhoods. Their impact on prices are probably less than domestic students.
Not on Haviland St or on Stoneholm St. or in the Greenhouse.

Did you not manage to graduate? Maybe that is the reason you seem so opposed to anything Northeastern tries to do.
No, I did not graduate. I want NU to stop acting like a venture capital firm when they are tax exempt. I want them to build on the property that they already own.

JoeG -- buildings are added to and subtracted from all the time -- sometimes its really messy

I call your attenion to 185 Franklin St -- the Art Deco tower that formerly was owed by Verizon and originally it was built to house the business HQ and much of the technical operations for Boston of New England Telephone and Telegraph Co -- today a small piece of Verizon

The new owners faced a number of challenges including the historic nature of the building and the fact that Verizon wanted to retain a small piece of the building for the local exchanges in the Financial District

So this is what was done or in some cases is still being done:
Gee, these are for profit firms. NU is tax exempt.

Not on Haviland St or on Stoneholm St. or in the Greenhouse.

Obviously there will be some that live closer to campus but as I said before, if your reading comprehension is lacking, that int'l students are not restricted to the immediate area.

For Int'l students, especially the very wealthy Chinese population NU has, getting an apartment in Boston is the only requirement they need, especially when they drive to campus on luxury vehicles.

I want NU to stop acting like a venture capital firm when they are tax exempt. I want them to build on the property that they already own.

Nowhere is NU acting like a venture capital firm.

A venture capital firm provides seed money for start up companies that have a high chance of failing but can make it big if the product they make are highly demanded.

Phoenix Property is not a start-up company nor are they new to this type of investment considering they own and provide student housing in the following universities:

"Phoenix Property Company has a proven track record building and running residence halls for college campuses. Currently, it provides housing for students at the University of Maryland, Texas Christian University, Florida State, UCLA and the University of Texas."

The property (Hasting Wing and Botolph St frontage), once all transaction have been completed, will jointly belong to Phoenix Property and NU which means they will be constructing on what they own.

Furthermore, as mentioned in an earlier article, a new gym, a 3-story addition, will be constructed, by the YMCA themselves. All of which would not be possible if the Y did not sell the property in order to raise the necessary funds.

Huntington YMCA seeking zoning approval for new addition
By Johanna Kaiser, Town Correspondent

The Huntington Avenue YMCA is taking its plan to rebuild its gym and pool before a city board to receive zoning approval for the project.

The YMCA is set to appear before the city Zoning Board of Appeal on Tuesday, May 8, at 9:30 a.m. It is seeking to demolish a 22,300-square-foot portion of the facility that houses its pool and squash courts and a portion of Bates Hall before building a new addition.

The new addition would be three stories high and 23,000 square feet and house modern basketball and handball courts, and lap and therapy pools. The Y also plans to renovate and update portions of its existing building.

The proposed addition would house pools and courts that are set to be demolished as part of a larger project to erect a $75 million, 17-story dormitory for Northeastern University on a portion of the property the Y is selling to Phoenix Property Co.

The dormitory project has been approved by the Boston Redevelopment Authority but has faced ongoing resistance and criticism from Y members and neighbors who do not want to lose their facilities or see the historic building or community fundamentally changed.

The new addition is being considered by the city independently from the dormitory project. The dorm received support from the city as way to keep students from moving off campus.

Y officials have stressed that the sale of part of the building allows the organization to update the aging building and offer new programs and facilities.

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/fenway-kenmore/2012/04/huntington_ymca_seeking_zoning.html

Of course this is referring to the same project that people like joegenius complained that it's too suburban and that an NCAA-size court is needed even when the existing gym doesn't have one of that size.

All in all, this is probably the real reason why this project has rustled joegenius's jimmies.

No, I did not graduate.

Kent -- " All in all, this is probably the real reason why this project has rustled joegenius's jimmies. "

Is that akin to "Tickling his Twinkies" or "Enervating his HoHo's"?

Just asking as the expression is new to me -- the only similar expression I've heard of is "Frosting his Crudites"

By the way -- "A venture capital firm provides seed money for start up companies that have a high chance of failing but can make it big if the product they make are highly demanded. "

VC's actually do a lot more than just fund seed stage start-ups -- that's really only a small part of most VC's portfolio. Most VC's don't even get involved in seed stage financing -- leaving that to Angels. The typical VC does a lot more deals involving more money than a sees-stage deal -- they sometimes fund: re-starts of companies; later stage of rapidly growing companies; the "roll-up" of a whole collection of small companies to be combined; spin-outs of divisions and groups from larger companies; etc -- the key fact is that the VC makes an investment with a low probability of success -- But a huge potential return on the investment (ROI) with the ability to "Get-out" in a short period of time and then make additional investments in new companies. Often the ROI will be in excess of 10X if the company is sold to a larger company, or even 100X in 3 or so years and a few rounds of funding if the company succeeds in "going public".

Awww my post got removed! Oh well.

From what I gather, it seems like the YMCA is planning on rebuilding everything they tear down, and most likely in a more "state of the art" fashion. It also seems like they need the money, so it's either allow the dorms and rebuild what was lost, or completely close down. It should be a no-brainer, but we all know NIMBY's often don't really use their brains when obstructing anything and everything. Sometimes, progress is not only a good thing, but NECESSARY. Deal with it.

VC's actually do a lot more than just fund seed stage start-ups -- that's really only a small part of most VC's portfolio. Most VC's don't even get involved in seed stage financing -- leaving that to Angels. The typical VC does a lot more deals involving more money than a sees-stage deal -- they sometimes fund: re-starts of companies; later stage of rapidly growing companies; the "roll-up" of a whole collection of small companies to be combined; spin-outs of divisions and groups from larger companies; etc -- the key fact is that the VC makes an investment with a low probability of success -- But a huge potential return on the investment (ROI) with the ability to "Get-out" in a short period of time and then make additional investments in new companies. Often the ROI will be in excess of 10X if the company is sold to a larger company, or even 100X in 3 or so years and a few rounds of funding if the company succeeds in "going public".

Great explanation. Now does this sound like anything Northeastern University is doing with their deal with Phoenix Property?

Also, it is quite ironic that these activists are donning 'Save the Y' t-shirt when their actions are most likely going to doom it.

In addition:

Here's the amended IMP posted by dshoost in the other thread that includes the GrandMarc:

http://www.northeastern.edu/communityaffairs/pdfs/NU_FifthAmendment_toIMP_Feb-11-2011.pdf

If you look in the alley between the New England Conservatory and the YMCA from Huntington Ave there seems to be a piece of a building attached to the YMCA. Does any one know what this is? Baldwin's Mill and and a canal(Smelt Brook) use to be right about there.

Going foward. Y, Northeastern seal the deal. Sale completed and work to begin next week.
http://bostonherald.com/business/real_estate/view.bg?articleid=1061148534&srvc=business&position=2

When you mentioned sealing the deal, I started thinking of something else. Clicked on the link, and first thing my eyes (thought they) saw was "University gets laid for dorm".

Anyway, another good project for the city. It's really hard to believe the crazy amount of construction in Boston considering none of it tops 300'...

I htink Kensington might top 300ft.

Anyways, current Y members are allowed to use the Marino Center at NEU. I ran into my friend who used to go to the Y gym one day. I also just realized why this summer the Marino Center is completely packed (compared to last summer when it's completely dead). Y members have been using the facility.

Liberty Mutual is over 300'.

Liberty Mutual is over 300'.

From what I gather, it's only 290', and The Kensington will be 298'.

Back