GrandMarc Residence Hall (YMCA) @ Northeastern U | 291 St. Botolph Street | Fenway

Re: YMCA/ Northeastern Dorm (formerly GrandMarc at St. Botolph)

You can't keep your dorm after graduating college, so, rather than solve the problem of having a lack of low-to-mid range housing be available, you simply defer it.

I mean, it's great right up until you graduate, but then you're right back to having no place to live. It's great for college students - specifically, students at that college - but not for anyone else looking to move into the community.

But who knows, maybe I'm just extremely angry and not thinking my own arguments through all the way. We'll see how I feel tomorrow.

So you are saying that recent college graduates should be required to live in the suburbs? If you want low rents in an urban area, move to Detroit.

To answer your assertions:

-This project will not have any effect on the availability or prices of Apartments in the East Fenway neighborhood that I have resided in for 31 of the last 34 years. ! bedroom apartments are available on Westland Ave. for $2200 I am acquainted with 3 students who split this. The Greenhouse goes for about $2500. this 3 ways. Northeastern has come up in the market over the years. The demographic it attracts, much of which is international, is well off enough so that "pricing out" students is unlikely at best. I lived at 24 Haviland St. for more than 19 years. When I moved in Berklee kids ate Ramen. by the time I left in 2009 they had Merry Maids cleaning their apartments.
-Methinks that the Fenway's student population will be much larger in 5 years as the social opportunities for students created by sheer numbers will grow.
-Whatever effect this project has will be for about 3 years until the time that NU's required 2 years in the dorm is finished. Students will always want freedom and no-smoking, no-drinking in dorms will not cut it.

Obvious exaggeration is obvious. I have yet to hear about any off campus students being able to afford maids to clean their apartments. This no more than fearmongering.

Furthermore, the fact that currently many of my fellow students are being waitlisted for dorming is decisive proof that, while students will always want freedom, etc etc, there is obviously a sufficient demand of students that want to stay on campus but an insufficient supply of dorms is able to support that. My friend who was waitlisted and was kept on that list is now forced to move up to the Hills. So drop that argument since it's been disproved countless time.

In addition, it seems like this housing problem is not only the fault of Northeastern, but the Colleges of Fenway and Berklees. If you want prices to come down, demand that all of the surrounding universities build dorms to house their students.

-"Apathy"? YMCA members in my social circle have been very vocal for at least the last 5 years about the deferred maintenance of the gym. The Y should have mounted a capital drive 10 years ago. Indeed 1998-99 saw the improvements of the new weight room and additional cardio equipment. At that point the Y was a healthy institution and the window of opportunity was open for an appeal to members. Do you know many Y members? Rest assured they have not been pleased by the Y's in/actions of this century. Indeed, many think that this neglect of the facilities was a stratagem to to make the property more attractive to NU from the get-go. the ineptitude of the Y is staggering.

Then run for a position within the Y. It's always easy to say it but when you are actually part of the company, it's a lot harder to achieve what you say. Regardless, if this is in fact true, then the blame goes to the Y, not Northeastern.

-Was there any competitive bidding? NU and the Y have not responded to questions about the "process" that made NU the sole suitor. Was there any other prospective buyer who would have been able to preserve the gym?

Is there a law that requires competitive bidding? If not, then the Y is not under obligation to do so and they may choose to partner with whoever they wish to.

-As mentioned the real losers in this charade will be the teens who are not full-fledged members and are not as of yet able to vote. Yes, I think that NU will be glad that prospective student's families will not see black teens on Huntington Ave.

I feel like this comment should merit a ban or brig from the forum for race baiting but again, black teens are constantly seen at Northeastern, especially at Forsyth because Northeastern runs city-wide programs for local students, especially minorities. Again drop this argument.

-The gym to be built will have 6 hoops rather than the 9 of the former gym.

I'm sorry for your loss. I know that feel, Marino has 6 hoops but during certain days and times, it is restricted to 4 or 2.

-The one good thing about the new plan is that their will be a recreational pool and a therapeutic pool. This is a true gain.

Funny how you criticized this a few posts ago. Why the sudden change of heart? Maybe people like you don't deserve to have a pool for complaining.

-What makes it certain that a new Y will be built at all?

Is this an argument?

-The YMCA has a large number of members over 30. It would be very uncomfortable for them to use the Marino Center. Yes, I do think that most of these folks will be accommodated by other gyms. The teen users will NOT be absorbed by markets.

The first part of this statement is entirely false. I've seen Y members (I know because they are significantly older than than the normal attendees) at the Marino. In fact, last year during the summer the gym was probably at 10% capacity. This year, I have to wait between 5-10 minutes for a benching station. My friend Anita (formerly a BU student) is from the Huntington Y and I ran into her at the Marino before.

We get it. You didn't graduate from NU and now you're a bitter alumnus. Point taken.

You can't keep your dorm after graduating college, so, rather than solve the problem of having a lack of low-to-mid range housing be available, you simply defer it.

I mean, it's great right up until you graduate, but then you're right back to having no place to live. It's great for college students - specifically, students at that college - but not for anyone else looking to move into the community.

But who knows, maybe I'm just extremely angry and not thinking my own arguments through all the way. We'll see how I feel tomorrow.

I love this argument. Apparently there's a difference between a person who just graduated and a regular resident looking for a place to live in Boston.

I mean how dare those graduates, who are thus no longer students, for trying to find a place to live in Boston like normal people.

Also remember, dorm rooms are not free to students. They pay essentially market rate to live in the dorms. THe schools entice them with proximity to their classes, a collegial atmosphere, security,in-building-laundry, fitness areas, genral high quality of living standards, not having to deal with a landlord, and other small amenities. Often these dorm rooms are more expensive than the surrounding market, but of better value to the student.

If the surrounding rental markets want to compete, they can do so on price or quality.

It is the way of things. No need for anger.

cca

Thank you! I lived off-campus once and the condition of some of these apartments are unbelievably terrible. I had to deal with a mouse problem, it's dirty and dingy, the area is ghetto, and I rather not have to deal with electric, water, internet and tv bills. Northeastern bundles all that together, includes a laundry room, has free maintenance, security, etc. This is the main reason I'm moving back on campus this year. The other reason is that it has a dishwasher. How do you like that joegenius? A living exception to what you are stating.

Oh and I'm moving into one of those "luxurious dorm." Cost me a bundle but I've been very prudent at saving money from my co-op this year and was able to receive scholarship funds to help me pay for it. I also opted to live at home for Spring in order to save money. No shame in that and I get free meals (sort of, I give my parents money to buy groceries).

http://bit.ly/uaGqg5

In addition, it seems like this housing problem is not only the fault of Northeastern, but the Colleges of Fenway and Berklees. If you want prices to come down, ALLOW all of the surrounding universities build dorms to house their students.

Fixed that for you.

//goes and sits back down next to data with the popcorn

People complaining about construction and the cost of housing at the same time are priceless. Want housing to go down? Build dorms, build condos, build luxury condos, build affordable housing, build anything, because we're the second most expensive city in the country and one or two buildings ain't gonna make a dent in soft shit.

Living off campus is actually much cheaper than living in a dorm. 2 semesters in 555 Huntington Ave costs $12,000... for six months, or $2,000 a month. My tiny-as-hell (475 sf) 1 BR apartment on Worthington St costs $1600 a month.

Last edited:

Living off campus is actually much cheaper than living in a dorm. A semester in 555 Huntington Ave costs $12,000... for three months, or $4,000 a month. My tiny-as-hell (475 sf) 1 BR apartment on Worthington St costs $1600 a month.

Per person? $12,000 per semester? Wentworth better have a spa parlor in the basement.

The one I am in, West Village E, is around $12,200 per academic year (8 months) or $1525/mo and includes furniture, electricity, water, internet, laundry room (they give $45 of laundry bucks per semester), maintenance, security, central air, and a pool room I think. It's also a studio so I'm living by myself and it includes a bathroom and kitchen.

Note: This is the second most expensive type of dorm by dollar value per person.

Per person? $12,000 per semester? Wentworth better have a spa parlor in the basement.

The one I am in, West Village E, is around $12,200 per academic year (8 months) or $1525/mo and includes furniture, electricity, water, internet, laundry room (they give $45 of laundry bucks per semester), maintenance, security, central air, and a pool room I think. It's also a studio so I'm living by myself and it includes a bathroom and kitchen.

Note: This is the second most expensive type of dorm by dollar value per person.

I woke up too early. It's $12,000 for 2 semesters, or 6 months. Still makes the housing cost $2000 a month.

WIT also forces the minimum meal plan ($300 a semester) even on students in housing that has a kitchen (610 and 555).

I woke up too early. It's $12,000 for 2 semesters, or 6 months. Still makes the housing cost $2000 a month.

WIT also forces the minimum meal plan ($300 a semester) even on students in housing that has a kitchen (610 and 555).

That's pretty outrageous. Do you live by yourself in your apartment or are you sharing? Northeastern's 1 BR apartment, the most expensive type available, is a comparable $12,850 per academic year (8 months), or $1,606.25 a month.

Buffet style or no? $300 for a weekly plan would be incredible. Northeastern do not require meal plans to those who have kitchens, though meal plans would be incredibly convenient if it wasn't for the 5 star hotel dining cost.

So you are saying that recent college graduates should be required to live in the suburbs? If you want low rents in an urban area, move to Detroit.

No, I'm saying that recent college graduates shouldn't be required to move anywhere after graduating. I'm saying that people should generally be able to find housing in the town they went to school in, if they want to stay there.

I love this argument. Apparently there's a difference between a person who just graduated and a regular resident looking for a place to live in Boston.

I mean how dare those graduates, who are thus no longer students, for trying to find a place to live in Boston like normal people.

There is a difference. The normal resident looking to move into Boston is presumably living somewhere else already. The student who just graduated has also just lost the place they were living in.

Living off campus is actually much cheaper than living in a dorm. 2 semesters in 555 Huntington Ave costs $12,000... for six months, or $2,000 a month. My tiny-as-hell (475 sf) 1 BR apartment on Worthington St costs $1600 a month.

This basically summarizes why I'm so angry, and I'm probably taking it out on the wrong people. So, I apologize.

That's pretty outrageous. Do you live by yourself in your apartment or are you sharing? Northeastern's 1 BR apartment, the most expensive type available, is a comparable $12,850 per academic year (8 months), or $1,606.25 a month.

Buffet style or no? $300 for a weekly plan would be incredible. Northeastern do not require meal plans to those who have kitchens, though meal plans would be incredibly convenient if it wasn't for the 5 star hotel dining cost.

I live with my partner, so we split it.

HAH! No buffet style. It's all a-la-carte, tastes gross, and is overpriced (Chartwells). It's ridiculous to force the meal plan on students that have kitchens.

-As mentioned the real losers in this charade will be the teens who are not full-fledged members and are not as of yet able to vote. Yes, I think that NU will be glad that prospective student's families will not see black teens on Huntington Ave.

If you are going to call NU racist you need to back it up. Or did you pull this out of your ass/mouth like everything else. What does NU do with all the black students when prospective students's families show up?

PS people like you demand that the b in black is capitalized.

Hey Datadyne007, move over.Bbfen, I brought M&M's!

Look, I'm going to share a piece of my mind as politely as possible because it gives me a splitting headache to face idiocy (let alone dwell on it).

There are two things that I value higher than anything when it comes to society: education and infrastructure. From what I've researched, the most successful societies throughout history and around the world have flourished largely because of attention to these details. If you have a well-informed, well-educated population and continually update your infrastructure to best serve your community, then everything else in that society will likely fix itself. Unless anyone is curious for me to elaborate further on this, I'm going to spare you a longer post.

I share these values with you because I think they add perspective to my view on Boston's real estate market and how it is affected by places of higher education. The fact is that a lot of students desire to go to school in Boston and even some of them (like myself) decide they'd like to continue living in this city after they've graduated. As the caliber of students continues to improve at city universities like NU & BU, the schools actually see their retention rates climb to very healthy levels (85+% staying through graduation). What this means is that more of them will continue to come here and for longer periods of time. Also, I learned that thanks to Northeastern's co-op program and partners with thousands of companies in the region, a higher rate of NU students choose to remain in Boston than any other Boston school's alumni.

Why am I "ranting" at this point? Because the truth is that everyone needs a place to live. It doesn't matter if it's in a college dormitory, a Fenway brownstone, a Filene's Basement luxury high rise, or a slumlord-operated duplex on Mission Hill. If Boston is going to continue to prosper economically, EVERYONE needs to work together to handle the housing inventory issue head on--schools, neighborhoods, BRA, MBTA, developers--EVERYONE! If only there were a way to more effectively streamline the construction of affordable new apartments throughout the city and along the radial T branches on the scale of 5,000 to 10,000+ units annually, then more of the talented graduates from our schools can stay in Boston and work for companies here. Then companies would want to be here... to stay here.

I'm not a mayor (yet).
I'm not a developer (yet).
I'm not affiliated with any political party.
I'm neither a genius, nor a disgruntled gym member (... yet).

I'm just a 23-year-old college graduate with a passion for urban redevelopment, a sensitivity to historic preservation, an active supporter of environmental sustainability, and an outspoken community member for progress. My interests are not driven by selfishness, they are driven by what's best for the community, and I think it's important for our community to work together swiftly to address these big issues and make Boston a better place.

Please, if you're able and willing to contribute positively to a discussion about how to make Boston a more livable place, then lets talk. But if you're going to waste everyone's time making frivolous, thoughtless, unjustified noise to satisfy your own agenda, then you're no better than the plaintiffs that robbed my school out of $500K+ a few weeks ago and make me sick.

If you are going to call NU racist you need to back it up. Or did you pull this out of your ass/mouth like everything else. What does NU do with all the black students when prospective students's families show up?

PS people like you demand that the b in black is capitalized.

Before everyone gets their knickers in a twist, look at joegenius' statement. He is suggesting that NU would rather prospective parents not see black teens on campus. Is that accurate? Maybe not. Is it a ridiculous assertion? Maybe not. If NU found it convenient not to highlight minority presence to out-of-towners who may be overtly or subliminally bigoted, would that be evil? Maybe, but maybe not so much evil as cynical and calculating.

In any case, let's not throw words like "racist" around when people make claims that invoke the idea of race. I think we could also do without the "people like you" comment, BostonObserver. I doubt you know joegenius well enough to know what people "like him" are like.

Before everyone gets their knickers in a twist, look at joegenius' statement. He is suggesting that NU would rather prospective parents not see black teens on campus. Is that accurate? Maybe not. Is it a ridiculous assertion? Maybe not. If NU found it convenient not to highlight minority presence to out-of-towners who may be overtly or subliminally bigoted, would that be evil? Maybe, but maybe not so much evil as cynical and calculating.

In any case, let's not throw words like "racist" around when people make claims that invoke the idea of race. I think we could also do without the "people like you" comment, BostonObserver. I doubt you know joegenius well enough to know what people "like him" are like.

Tombstoner,

This isn't even a "maybe not." As I have exhaustedly stated multiple and multiple times ( and it seems like some people Just. Don't. Get. It.), every afternoon when I go to the gym, I almost always see a group of grade-school students, 90% of which are African-Americans, gathering at Forsythe because of a program that's going on. I see tours being given during the same time in which case, it is not true, not maybe it's not true. Thus it's also not maybe it's a ridiculous assumption. It is a ridiculous assumption.

And while joegenius may not be racist, he is race-baiting.

And you know what the biggest bullshit in that argument is? The Y, while Northeastern University does have some office and residents in that building, IS NOT part of NU's campus. If there is a generous amount of African American teens who attend the Y and the Y is kept as is, they wouldn't be seen by prospective students anyways. The tour guide never brings prospective students and parents to the Y because it isn't part of the campus itself.

Besides, I can guarantee you that they will see their fill of African American teens at Curry Student Center (thanks to it being a food court opened to all) whether the Y gym is there or not.

Last edited:

Please, if you're able and willing to contribute positively to a discussion about how to make Boston a more livable place, then lets talk. But if you're going to waste everyone's time making frivolous, thoughtless, unjustified noise to satisfy your own agenda, then you're no better than the plaintiffs that robbed my school out of $500K+ a few weeks ago and make me sick.

I don't have an agenda, and I don't think you and I disagree all that much. Yes, the housing market is a huge problem. Yes, we all need to come together and make priority #1 doing something about it. And yes, underground is probably right when he says that one or two buildings aren't going to do much of anything, so I suppose my real complaint is that not enough is being done.

And I apologize again for getting angry and posting before thinking. I just can't connect this new dorm to some kind of great victory, and the end, things like this...

Boston Rents Spiral Even Higher - boston.com said:
The market has become so tight that Mayor Thomas M. Menino has asked developers to propose novel approaches to providing “worker” housing — units that middle-income tenants can afford to rent, that is.

Among the most novel responses has been so-called micro-housing: tiny, sub-studio-size apartments that have room for little more than a galley kitchen, bathroom, sleeping area, and chair. The units, some as small as 350 square feet, are mostly being built in the emerging Seaport District and will rent from $1,200 to $1,600 a month.

...just infuriate me.

I really do hope that this works out for you and the university and everyone else impacted in the end.

I've been going to community meetings for over 40 years. I certainly know his type. He needs to prove his claim. In my opinion he is calling NU racist.

Among the most novel responses has been so-called micro-housing: tiny, sub-studio-size apartments that have room for little more than a galley kitchen, bathroom, sleeping area, and chair. The units, some as small as 350 square feet, are mostly being built in the emerging Seaport District and will rent from $1,200 to $1,600 a month.

That pretty much describes existing studio apartments in the city built between 1880-1950. How is this novel?

Back