GrandMarc Residence Hall (YMCA) @ Northeastern U | 291 St. Botolph Street | Fenway

Re: YMCA/ Northeastern Dorm (formerly GrandMarc at St. Botolph)

That pretty much describes existing studio apartments in the city built between 1880-1950. How is this novel?

Because they are finding new ways to describe a studio and charging you more for it.

Obvious exaggeration is obvious. I have yet to hear about any off campus students being able to afford maids to clean their apartments. This no more than fearmongering.

Furthermore, the fact that currently many of my fellow students are being waitlisted for dorming is decisive proof that, while students will always want freedom, etc etc, there is obviously a sufficient demand of students that want to stay on campus but an insufficient supply of dorms is able to support that. My friend who was waitlisted and was kept on that list is now forced to move up to the Hills. So drop that argument since it's been disproved countless time.

In addition, it seems like this housing problem is not only the fault of Northeastern, but the Colleges of Fenway and Berklees. If you want prices to come down, demand that all of the surrounding universities build dorms to house their students.

Then run for a position within the Y. It's always easy to say it but when you are actually part of the company, it's a lot harder to achieve what you say. Regardless, if this is in fact true, then the blame goes to the Y, not Northeastern.

Is there a law that requires competitive bidding? If not, then the Y is not under obligation to do so and they may choose to partner with whoever they wish to.

I feel like this comment should merit a ban or brig from the forum for race baiting but again, black teens are constantly seen at Northeastern, especially at Forsyth because Northeastern runs city-wide programs for local students, especially minorities. Again drop this argument.

I'm sorry for your loss. I know that feel, Marino has 6 hoops but during certain days and times, it is restricted to 4 or 2.

Funny how you criticized this a few posts ago. Why the sudden change of heart? Maybe people like you don't deserve to have a pool for complaining.

Is this an argument?

The first part of this statement is entirely false. I've seen Y members (I know because they are significantly older than than the normal attendees) at the Marino. In fact, last year during the summer the gym was probably at 10% capacity. This year, I have to wait between 5-10 minutes for a benching station. My friend Anita (formerly a BU student) is from the Huntington Y and I ran into her at the Marino before.

We get it. You didn't graduate from NU and now you're a bitter alumnus. Point taken.

I lived at 24 Haviland St. for more than 19 years and maids were regularly seen after 1999. Following the purchase of the building by Boston Union from Sean Casey Realty trust in 2009 professional cleaning at regular intervals and during moving became common. The Gainsborough St. condos frequently have professional cleaning. What is "fear mongering" about noting the socioeconomic status of NU students? I work with students now. There is no need to "hear" from them.

Yes, students of protective parents and now freshkids and sophs will be required to live on campus.

Yes, I do think that more dorms should be built. I was in favor of the 2006 Grandmarc Plan and attended meetings. I think that the 160 Mass. Ave. Berklee dorm is OK because they already owned the property. I am against the BAC Mass. Ave. project because it is nothing more than a land grab.

Repeat I was in favor of the NU 2006 project and still think that Gainsborough Garage and Cullinane Hall could have had a larger footprint than the YMCA site.

What makes you think I am against dorms? Housing prices in Boston proper will never come down unless there is an upsurge in arson and street crime.

I am against THIS dorm. It is woefully inadequate and NU could accommodate more students with the Gainsborough/Cullinane site.

Yes, I have made my thoughts known to the Central Boston Y and the national office. I am supportive of a group within the Y that wants reform. This is your best point.

I am not a graduate of NU so I am not an alumnus. My academic shortcomings would have come to the fore in virtually any college. I regret pursuing college as long as I did because it wasn't cost-effective. This has little to do with NU.

To repeat, I supported the Marino Center and the 2006 Grandmarc project. My disappointment with NU began when this project, which was not listed in any IMP, was announced.

Yes, I am very disappointed in the Y and William Galvin as well. No, I do not think that the BZC/BRA should have the ability to approve projects where they conduct thge "vetting" process.

Black teens are a much smaller presence on Huntington Ave. Once again I work with NU students. I pass through that area 3-4 times a week. Yes, Forsyth is as you assert. No, the teens from Whittier projects are not among them.

I haven't played basketball in 16 years. But many do and those courts are gone for good.

Yes, there some Y folks at the Marino. I was in favor of building the Marino Center.

My bad phrasing on the pool issue. Right now the situation is a total loss for the disabled. When and if the new facility is built it will be better but that is years down the line.

Whether the Y took the highest bid or conducted a bidding process is information I have been unable to find. Yes, I have tried but NU's John Tobin has done a good job in making the "10 year history" of the y trying to sell the property" in his words of 3/16/10 at Bates Hall; inaccessible.

Both the Y and NU claim that this project will "bring the Y" into the 21st. Century yet offer a diminished facility. One might think that it would be in the best interest of the Y to seek as much $$$ as possible. Yet, they and NU are "Helping the community".

The challenged folks who used the Y weight room now face the challenge of waiting for machines and free weights.

The settlement terms of the litigation against this project have as yet to come to light.

Oh yeah, please read some of the posting regarding dorm costs. This "dorm" will have an effect for 2 or 3 years.

Finally, please read some of the postings here regarding NU dorm rates.

Thank you! I lived off-campus once and the condition of some of these apartments are unbelievably terrible. I had to deal with a mouse problem, it's dirty and dingy, the area is ghetto, and I rather not have to deal with electric, water, internet and tv bills. Northeastern bundles all that together, includes a laundry room, has free maintenance, security, etc. This is the main reason I'm moving back on campus this year. The other reason is that it has a dishwasher. How do you like that joegenius? A living exception to what you are stating.

Oh and I'm moving into one of those "luxurious dorm." Cost me a bundle but I've been very prudent at saving money from my co-op this year and was able to receive scholarship funds to help me pay for it. I also opted to live at home for Spring in order to save money. No shame in that and I get free meals (sort of, I give my parents money to buy groceries).

I lived at 4 Symphony Rd. in 1978 for $25 a week in a rooming house. No, the Fenway is not a ghetto.

I am in favor of NU building on the property it owns.

You know NU did not always own the property they now own. They have every right to buy new property just like you.

Just want to clarify two points.

Berklee bought the 160 Mass Ave block from FCCS to build their dorm. Some in the neighborhood saw this as a land grab. It did decrease in commercial property taxes and restaurant taxes.

BAC's proposed project is not a land grab, it's part of an air rights development of..... well, Parcel 13 air rights. The BAC would be in the eastern part of the building adjacent to their two other properties, not at Mass Ave/Boylston where the residential facility is.

Pardon the interruption.

edit: clarity, typo

I lived at 4 Symphony Rd. in 1978 for $25 a week in a rooming house. No, the Fenway is not a ghetto.

I am in favor of NU building on the property it owns.

I didn't live in the Fens. The cheapest apartment I found was on Cunard St. and that area is as sketchy as the ghetto. If I was a smoker or a partier, I would still give up the apartment that allows me that freedom for a dorm just because it isn't a dilapidated piece of crap that was only a couple of blocks away from a shooting last year.

Repeat I was in favor of the NU 2006 project and still think that Gainsborough Garage and Cullinane Hall could have had a larger footprint than the YMCA site.

I am against THIS dorm. It is woefully inadequate and NU could accommodate more students with the Gainsborough/Cullinane site.

3576-objection.jpg

If true, I'll agree with what you are saying. However, but there's a logical reason to this. You may have missed it from a post of mine a while back

Gainsborough/Cullinane is the site of the propose Building K. Here's some background information about it.

http://archboston.org/community/showpost.php?p=60815&postcount=1

And here is the reason why the plans for this dorm stopped.

"Northeastern officials explained that after they borrowed money for the construction of International Village and the economic crisis hit, the university had to reevaluate. They had accumulated about $820 million worth of debt, about the former size of the endowment, which is now closer to $520 million, McCarthy said. He added that the university isn’t able to take out any more loans for construction on Building K, a 600-bed dorm to be built east of the Curry Student Center, or other housing projects at this time."

Now assuming that the situation hasn't changed and that Northeastern University will not be able to take out loans for constructing dorms, the school is presented two choice.

1) Save up funds for the next ten years (based on the fact that NU plans to buy the property in 10 years from Phoenix Property) and then purchase/build the dorm on the Y or Building K (I'm not sure if the costs match) on their own.

or

2) Go with the current plan, which is have Phoenix Property buy and build the dorm and then pay it off late, without having to distribute a large proportion of its funds that goes to teacher, maintenance, etc. to constructing the dorm.

Given the fact that Boston has demanded that Northeastern put more of its student in on-campus housing as soon as possible, the only logical solution is Option 2. There are many advantages to this:

1) Funding for teachers, maintenance, etc. will not be reduced because Northeastern is given 10 years to slowly accumulate the fund to buy the property. Only a small portion will be allocated on buying the building each year instead of depriving the school of badly needed fund to run it by dumping all the money during the first year.

2) Due to their loan constraints, Northeastern will not be able to borrow money to build on its own campus. This alternative plan allows Northeastern to build a dorm regardless, albeit, not on their own campus yet.

3) Instead of having to wait 10 years (which would mean 10 years of the neighbors and government officials complaining that Northeastern has not fulfilled its promise), Northeastern can fulfill that promise now. Plus the current proposal has 120 more beds than Building K

This is the reason joegenius. It's not NU trying to grab land. It's NU trying to fulfill its promise when no conventional options are available.

I am not a graduate of NU so I am not an alumnus. My academic shortcomings would have come to the fore in virtually any college. I regret pursuing college as long as I did because it wasn't cost-effective. This has little to do with NU.

And alumnus can also mean any student who attende the university, whether they graduated or not. So yes, you're still an alumnus.

Black teens are a much smaller presence on Huntington Ave. Once again I work with NU students. I pass through that area 3-4 times a week. Yes, Forsyth is as you assert. No, the teens from Whittier projects are not among them.

Since I have presented NU's real intention, we can now discredit this argument that NU hates black people.

The challenged folks who used the Y weight room now face the challenge of waiting for machines and free weights.

If the folks from the Y never had to wait for a machine, then the Y didn't have enough members to support the gym to begin with. The Marino is a larger facility and able to accomodate the surplus. Thus there should be no change for the members (who should have to wait for a machine at the Y if it was at optimal capacity).

To repeat, I supported the Marino Center and the 2006 Grandmarc project. My disappointment with NU began when this project, which was not listed in any IMP, was announced.

I believe it is not listed in any IMP for the sole reason that the building will not be entirely owned by Northeastern until 10 years later. Not entirely sure on this but the unique way of handling this construction may allow it to be left off the IMP until later.

Oh yeah, please read some of the posting regarding dorm costs. This "dorm" will have an effect for 2 or 3 years.

Finally, please read some of the postings here regarding NU dorm rates.

If this dorm is the same type of dorm as IV, then the cost would be around $8000-$9000 per academic year (going by current rates). If the dorm is the same type of dorm as West Village, then the cost would be around $10,400-$12,600 per academic year (going by current rates). Note these rates are NU's enhanced dorms (or the "luxury dorm" people are talking about). This is the same type of dorm being built in GrandMarc. Northeastern University wouldn't create a separate category for these dorms (What are they going to call them? Super-enhanced dorm). As IV was built during my time at NU, rates for all dorms did not go up dramatically and it's unlikely to do so now with this dorm tower. This should relieve people of their fears that rates will skyrocket.

Also, as my conversation with data has shown, NU's dorm is at market rate and comparable to the apartments in the area (his 1 BR apartment cost the same amount as the on-campus 1 BR apartment, though he is allowed to share).

Last edited:

Honest question Kent, how long did it take you to make this post?

You know NU did not always own the property they now own. They have every right to buy new property just like you.

NU certainly has the right to buy property. They also have the "right" not to pay taxes. As a tax exempt institution they are obligated by the city of Boston to file IMPs that detail their plans. NU did not do this with the Y project.

3576-objection.jpg

If true, I'll agree with what you are saying. However, but there's a logical reason to this. You may have missed it from a post of mine a while back

Gainsborough/Cullinane is the site of the propose Building K. Here's some background information about it.

"Northeastern officials explained that after they borrowed money for the construction of International Village and the economic crisis hit, the university had to reevaluate. They had accumulated about $820 million worth of debt, about the former size of the endowment, which is now closer to $520 million, McCarthy said. He added that the university isn’t able to take out any more loans for construction on Building K, a 600-bed dorm to be built east of the Curry Student Center, or other housing projects at this time."

Now assuming that the situation hasn't changed and that Northeastern University will not be able to take out loans for constructing dorms, the school is presented two choice.

1) Save up funds for the next ten years (based on the fact that NU plans to buy the property in 10 years from Phoenix Property) and then purchase/build the dorm on the Y or Building K (I'm not sure if the costs match) on their own.

or

2) Go with the current plan, which is have Phoenix Property buy and build the dorm and then pay it off late, without having to distribute a large proportion of its funds that goes to teacher, maintenance, etc. to constructing the dorm.

Given the fact that Boston has demanded that Northeastern put more of its student in on-campus housing as soon as possible, the only logical solution is Option 2. There are many advantages to this:

1) Funding for teachers, maintenance, etc. will not be reduced because Northeastern is given 10 years to slowly accumulate the fund to buy the property. Only a small portion will be allocated on buying the building each year instead of depriving the school of badly needed fund to run it by dumping all the money during the first year.

2) Due to their loan constraints, Northeastern will not be able to borrow money to build on its own campus. This alternative plan allows Northeastern to build a dorm regardless, albeit, not on their own campus yet.

3) Instead of having to wait 10 years (which would mean 10 years of the neighbors and government officials complaining that Northeastern has not fulfilled its promise), Northeastern can fulfill that promise now. Plus the current proposal has 120 more beds than Building K

This is the reason joegenius. It's not NU trying to grab land. It's NU trying to fulfill its promise when no conventional options are available.

And alumnus can also mean any student who attende the university, whether they graduated or not. So yes, you're still an alumnus.

Since I have presented NU's real intention, we can now discredit this argument that NU hates black people.

If the folks from the Y never had to wait for a machine, then the Y didn't have enough members to support the gym to begin with. The Marino is a larger facility and able to accomodate the surplus. Thus there should be no change for the members (who should have to wait for a machine at the Y if it was at optimal capacity).

I believe it is not listed in any IMP for the sole reason that the building will not be entirely owned by Northeastern until 10 years later. Not entirely sure on this but the unique way of handling this construction may allow it to be left off the IMP until later.

If this dorm is the same type of dorm as IV, then the cost would be around $8000-$9000 per academic year (going by current rates). If the dorm is the same type of dorm as West Village, then the cost would be around $10,400-$12,600 per academic year (going by current rates). Note these rates are NU's enhanced dorms (or the "luxury dorm" people are talking about). This is the same type of dorm being built in GrandMarc. Northeastern University wouldn't create a separate category for these dorms (What are they going to call them? Super-enhanced dorm). As IV was built during my time at NU, rates for all dorms did not go up dramatically and it's unlikely to do so now with this dorm tower. This should relieve people of their fears that rates will skyrocket.

Also, as my conversation with data has shown, NU's dorm is at market rate and comparable to the apartments in the area (his 1 BR apartment cost the same amount as the on-campus 1 BR apartment, though he is allowed to share).

I did not write that NU hates black folks. NU is committed to diversity. "Diverstiy" meaning that a representation of "groups" is part of marketing. I work in the hospitality industry and we have X amount of Asians, Blacks, etc. It is the Whittier kids who are part of Y clientele who will not be served because they are not useful to the market. This is not entirely a bad thing but it does demonstrate that NU is a business that seeks profits...without risk.

NU did not respond to many requests to show that the Y project is encessary to NU fiscal health. This is an assertion without evidence.

I am a member of the Fenway CDC and the Fenway Civic Association as well as savethebostony.com. Members of the Fenway CDC and The Fenway Civic Association have are both for and against this project. there are folks oif my acquaintance who want more students in the neighborhood. Many folks who are condo owners want more students.

The Fenway CDC receives funding from NU.

I want more dorms than NU is willing to build as they can and should build on the sites available per the 2006 IMP. i also think that a 17 story building in a block zoned for 98" is of dubious virtue even though I have very mixed feelings about zoning.

I supported the International Village Project and the Marino Center.

I did not write that NU hates black folks. NU is committed to diversity. "Diverstiy" meaning that a representation of "groups" is part of marketing. I work in the hospitality industry and we have X amount of Asians, Blacks, etc. It is the Whittier kids who are part of Y clientele who will not be served because they are not useful to the market. In this vein Leslie Donavon of Phoenix/Lincoln wore a pink lambda to show to BRA and MA Historical commission hearings. NU's diversity. Without gays and blacks visible you cannot win over a college project.

This is not entirely a bad thing but it does demonstrate that NU is a business that seeks profits...without risk.

NU did not respond to many requests to show that the Y project is necessary to NU fiscal health. This is an assertion without evidence.

Pleases keep in mind that John Tobin has repeatedly referred to NU purchase of St. Botolph Terrace as a "mistake".

I am a member of the Fenway CDC and the Fenway Civic Association as well as savethebostony.com. Members of the Fenway CDC and The Fenway Civic Association have are both for and against this project. There are folks of my acquaintance who want more students in the neighborhood. Many folks who are condo owners want more students.

I want more dorms than NU is willing to build as they can and should build on the sites available per the 2006 IMP. I also think that a 17 story building in a block zoned for 98" is of dubious virtue even though I have very mixed feelings about zoning.

The Y weight room prior to separation was busy after 8 PM on weekdays. In the weeks before the separation it went down as members left. During 2011 activity in the Weight Room increased as the Y discounted rates.

Most of the Y Weight Room users will be absorbed by other gyms. The disabled, quite a few veterans use the Y for therapy; are on their own.

The Marion Center is a nice facility. Students run when I enter! LMAO!

NU certainly has the right to buy property. They also have the "right" not to pay taxes. As a tax exempt institution they are obligated by the city of Boston to file IMPs that detail their plans. NU did not do this with the Y project.

Oh really? Read it and weep.

http://www.northeastern.edu/masterplan/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/5th_amendment.pdf

I attended four NU Task Force meetings exclusively for the Y project that were fully organized by the BRA and completely contingent with their IMP-filing process. So either you're totally ignorant or blatantly lying.

P.S. - While you're at that link I suggest you read Appendix C (pages C-1 through C-34); these 34 pages outline the long list of community benefits Northeastern University provides to its neighbors.

I did not write that NU hates black folks. NU is committed to diversity. "Diverstiy" meaning that a representation of "groups" is part of marketing. I work in the hospitality industry and we have X amount of Asians, Blacks, etc. It is the Whittier kids who are part of Y clientele who will not be served because they are not useful to the market. This is not entirely a bad thing but it does demonstrate that NU is a business that seeks profits...without risk.

NU did not respond to many requests to show that the Y project is encessary to NU fiscal health. This is an assertion without evidence.

I am a member of the Fenway CDC and the Fenway Civic Association as well as savethebostony.com. Members of the Fenway CDC and The Fenway Civic Association have are both for and against this project. there are folks oif my acquaintance who want more students in the neighborhood. Many folks who are condo owners want more students.

I want more dorms than NU is willing to build as they can and should build on the sites available per the 2006 IMP. i also think that a 17 story building in a block zoned for 98" is of dubious virtue even though I have very mixed feelings about zoning.

Just wondering, how are the Whittier kids served by the YMCA? What's the name of the program. As you know, the YMCA is not entirely shutting down for the next 18 months as it's rebuilding.

Just wondering, how are the Whittier kids served by the YMCA? What's the name of the program. As you know, the YMCA is not entirely shutting down for the next 18 months as it's rebuilding.

The Teen Center and City on a Hill serve youth. They attract teens through access to the fitness facilities. Yes, this is a loss.

During my conversations with Rep. Gloria Fox she bemoaned the loss of facilities that enabled her constituents children to be in an environment of "structured recreation."

Oh really? Read it and weep.

http://www.northeastern.edu/masterplan/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/5th_amendment.pdf

I attended four NU Task Force meetings exclusively for the Y project that were fully organized by the BRA and completely contingent with their IMP-filing process. So either you're totally ignorant or blatantly lying.

P.S. - While you're at that link I suggest you read Appendix C (pages C-1 through C-34); these 34 pages outline the long list of community benefits Northeastern University provides to its neighbors.

I attended 3 of those meetings. I think that we might have met. The BRA and the BZC are one and the same body. Amendments to IMPs are made by the BRA upon their judgement.

Residing in the East Fens for 34 years I am well aware of the community benefits that NU provides although I haven't made use of them in some time. Schools do this to minimize objections to expansion of their real estate. This is not a bad thing but have no doubt expansion is always the goal.

The MISSION HILL GAZETTE reports that the 2 lawsuits filed questioning the zoning of a 198" building in a site zoned for 98" were settled with the plaintiffs receiving about $500 K.

Last edited:

The Teen Center and City on a Hill serve youth. They attract teens through access to the fitness facilities. Yes, this is a loss.

During my conversations with Rep. Gloria Fox she bemoaned the loss of facilities that enabled her constituents children to be in an environment of "structured recreation."

Is this program discontinued even after the Y is renovated?

Is this program discontinued even after the Y is renovated?

Yes, the programs will continue but without recreational facilities they are already declining in attendance. To be fair it will remain to be seen as to whether the trend of this summer will continue with the beginning of the school year.

3576-objection.jpg

or

At the MA historical Commission hearing at the MA Archives Bernard Horn of savethebostony.com introduced the BARRON'S credit ratings for NU. Yes, they declined in 2008 but had recovered by 2010.

NU's argument is something like "we were incompetent at investing therefore we need to expand.

At the MA historical Commission hearing at the MA Archives Bernard Horn of savethebostony.com introduced the BARRON'S credit ratings for NU. Yes, they declined in 2008 but had recovered by 2010.

NU's argument is something like "we were incompetent at investing therefore we need to expand.

Excuse me? Maybe you have been living in your mom's basement for a majority of your life but if I remember, the down economy impacted basically every private university's endowment and ability to spend. Unfortunately Northeastern doesn't have the endowment size of Harvard and unfortunately for Northeastern, they had to listen to the whiny complaints of you community residents who doesn't understand basic economics.

No, NU's argument is something like this:

"We are obligated (or more like forced) to expand to increase the % of students staying in our dorms even during a down economy because the local residents are being out-competed by college students."

You know what would have been a smart investment? If Northeastern University bought all the residential housing surrounding the university and flipped it into dorms. They tried that once and was rebuked by the city. Not to mention activists would never allowed this to happen.

You know what your community activist group's argument sound like?

"We are too poor to pay a membership fee high enough or recruit enough members that the Y can fund renovation on their own so we're going to make an excuse by saying we want to save the Y because it's incredibly historical and all the programs that are currently being run are being halted (even though in reality, we could care less, we're just using it as an excuse and yes we know those programs will continue after the renovation and will be running just as well)."

Go away troll. You lost. Deal with it.

And if you're going to complain so much of it, why don't you boycott the Y for the rest of your life and go find some other gym. With all these complaints, maybe NEU shouldn't keep its promise and flood 700 students into the community so that you guys can enjoy higher rent. I mean, by fighting this project, you guys are only shooting yourself in the foot.

Back