GrandMarc Residence Hall (YMCA) @ Northeastern U | 291 St. Botolph Street | Fenway

Re: YMCA/ Northeastern Dorm (formerly GrandMarc at St. Botolph)

Yes, the programs will continue but without recreational facilities they are already declining in attendance. To be fair it will remain to be seen as to whether the trend of this summer will continue with the beginning of the school year.

No, the decline in attendance is due to the lack of funding and probably lack of up to date facilities. Northeastern/Phoenix Property's payment may well have save it for the coming years but even if they did, you wouldn't give them one single credit because we all know that is not what you guys are fighting for. It's just a convenient excuse you guys can use and get sympathy for to fight this development. Shameful.

Aren't the parties involved in the class action lawsuit utilizing settlement funds to establish an endowment for the YMCA? Or did they take the money and run after their fellow protestors outlived their usefulness?

Aren't the parties involved in the class action lawsuit utilizing settlement funds to establish an endowment for the YMCA? Or did they take the money and run after their fellow protestors outlived their usefulness?

Yes, the parties who settled took the money and ran. Phoenix/Lincoln would not have gotten the financing necessary without the suits being settled. The essence of the suits was that the 198" "dorm" is a zoning violation in an area zoned for 98".

The folks who settled divided up at least $500,000.

No, the decline in attendance is due to the lack of funding and probably lack of up to date facilities. Northeastern/Phoenix Property's payment may well have save it for the coming years but even if they did, you wouldn't give them one single credit because we all know that is not what you guys are fighting for. It's just a convenient excuse you guys can use and get sympathy for to fight this development. Shameful.

Do you think that a for-profit business would be able to erect a 198" building in on a site zoned for 98"? Really?

"Sympathy"? It is NU/Phoenix Lincoln that has made sure that Patty Donavon of Phoenix/Lincoln wears a lambda so that everyone knows that NU/Phoenix Lincoln is "diverse".

If NU really wanted to house as many students as possible they would heed their own 2006 IMP and build on the Cullinane hall site. I have attended 5 or 6 hockey and basketball games at Matthews Arena and I have never seen the parking lot filled. This site and Cullinane would provide far more than the 720 beds the "dorm" is slated to provide.

savethebostony.com offered the Y $500,000 in matching funds to do a cosmetic renovation of the Hastings to increase the lodging revenue thus making the Y more solvent. We received no response.

Furthermore the Y meeting of 9/13 confirmed that as of 1992 Y members need not be represented on the boards of various Ys. Most of the current Y board do NOT belong to the Boston Central Y.

Do you think that a for-profit business would be able to erect a 198" building in on a site zoned for 98"? Really?
Are you referring to Phoenix or NU because NU isn't for-profit. Regardless, yes a for-profit can if they can get a zoning change.

"Sympathy"? It is NU/Phoenix Lincoln that has made sure that Patty Donavon of Phoenix/Lincoln wears a lambda so that everyone knows that NU/Phoenix Lincoln is "diverse".

Oh look more race baiting. The school is represented by 125 countries, 28% of the population is of color, 15% is international students. What is diverse for you? Oh right it doesn't matter as long as you can twist the fact so you can use it to block a project.

If NU really wanted to house as many students as possible they would heed their own 2006 IMP and build on the Cullinane hall site. I have attended 5 or 6 hockey and basketball games at Matthews Arena and I have never seen the parking lot filled. This site and Cullinane would provide far more than the 720 beds the "dorm" is slated to provide.

The fact that demolition has already started inside the Y makes me feel even better when I read this quote because you obviously ignored all the facts and realities. As I stated earlier, NU is unable to finance a dorm on campus because they are unable to receive any additional loans, hence the cancellation of Building K over Cullinane Hall. Not only that, you ignored the fact that Building K was planned to house only 600 beds, 120 beds less than the current proposal. The best part? There's nothing you can do to change it because all your "facts" have been disproved and the more you use it, the less credibility you get and the more desperate your group looks.

Oh and btw, if you have taken a look at NU's new IMP (of course you haven't. You guys really don't care about it. You guys just want to block the project for selfish reasons), then you would have known that the Matthew Arena's parking lot is planned to be replaced by athletic facilities.

savethebostony.com offered the Y $500,000 in matching funds to do a cosmetic renovation of the Hastings to increase the lodging revenue thus making the Y more solvent. We received no response.

$500,000 dollars and you received no response? And you're surprise? I don't know if you have heard but Phoenix Property paid $21.5 million dollars which the Y will use to renovate the remaining existing structure up to date.

Furthermore the Y meeting of 9/13 confirmed that as of 1992 Y members need not be represented on the boards of various Ys. Most of the current Y board do NOT belong to the Boston Central Y.

Let me see. The current Y board is opposing a deal that brings in $21.5 million dollars that can bring significant upgrades not only for the Boston Central Y, but other branches as well. The board wants to give the Y $500,000, and amount that's more than 97% less in hopes the Y could somehow make due with it. Are anyone on the Y board business majors? Anyone? Or a better question to ask is, does anyone on your board even give a shit about the financial stability of the Boston area YMCAs or do they all care about themselves only?

FINISH HIM!!... FATALITY

I also want to say joegenius, that your activist group, and its mission (if it's even legitimate) is so short sighted, that I wonder if any member of the group could even handle their own finance. I fear the day that one of you would somehow manage to become a part of the YMCA's finance department, because when that day comes, you guys would run the Y completely to the ground.

Your argument, that the Y is better off getting a pitiful $500,000 to run the facility and programs for maybe 2 more years before the fund dries up entirely and to be able to ONLY pay for a cosmetic renovation and not even an upgrade of the facility, in hopes that it would drive up rent so that in 20 years they would make enough money for, wait for this, another cosmetic renovation, than a 1.5 year semi-closure to upgrade its facility entirely and thus allowing it to attract more members in the long run is completely ridiculous.

Your group's proposal is like asking someone who needs $100,000, but gives him $1 and tells him to reinvest that $1 for the next couple of decades in hopes he will then get the $100,000 he needs.

Not surprisingly, nobody has taken you guys seriously. I don't even know why I'm taking you guys seriously. From now on, for every argument you make, I'm just going to take a walk behind the Y, take a picture of the demolition, and post it in this thread.

From now on, for every argument you make, I'm just going to take a walk behind the Y, take a picture of the demolition, and post it in this thread.

I am looking forward to seeing those pictures!

I am looking forward to seeing those pictures!

I snapped a couple over the last week. The first one I took was on September 11th... because, as a Northeastern alum, I'm an evil person who wanted to commemorate the anniversary of the 9/11 disaster by not only watching a building come down but also by instigating "save the Y" members like joegenius.

YMCA Demolition by cacique123, on Flickr

This one was taken a few days later:

YMCA Demolition by cacique123, on Flickr

I hope they just implode the whole thing and Northeastern builds a massive 500 foot dorm tower with no public uses whatsoever. And they better not stop there. I want them to do this to every YMCA or DCR pool or park or playground they can find.

come-at-me-joe.png

Demolition continues. You can see that most of the roof has been removed. The cop at the site said they are taking down the steel roof supports now. He thought it would be down by the end of the month.

YMCA Gym 11/7 Boston

Down she comes! Walked by on the way to work and saw this. I'll snap more pictures later.

image.jpg

Interesting story from NU newspaper:

http://huntnewsnu.com/2012/12/ymca-residents-lament-construction/

YMCA residents lament construction by The Huntington News • December 6, 2012 • News • 0 Comments
By Raffaela Kenny-Cincotta, News Correspondent

After consistent complaints, a group of Northeastern officials met with some students this week to discuss ongoing construction on Huntington Avenue and its effects on the students housed in the YMCA.

About 30 students who attended the meeting were residents of the YMCA. They voiced a variety of complaints ranging from noise to room expenses, all stemming from the adjacent construction of a new Northeastern Residence Hall. Representatives from the Student Government Association and Progressive Student Alliance also attended.

“You’re looking at students who have had sleep problems for some time now,” Nicole Fleming, a middler sociology major, said. Fleming is a transfer student who lives in the YMCA and said construction noises wake students up between 6:30 and 7 a.m. six days a week.

Steffi Klosterman, a sophomore political science major, cited the student handbook in saying that morning quiet hours in all dormitories are in effect until 8:30 a.m.

“Northeastern is essentially violating their own policy here,” Klosterman said to officials.

Robert Jose, associate dean for cultural and residential life, countered, saying quiet hours are for students inside residence halls.

“The spirit of that rule is to quiet students,” Jose said.

Fleming said when she applied to Northeastern as a transfer student, she did not know she could be placed in the YMCA, as it is not listed on the website for Northeastern Housing and Residential Life.

“Transparency is a huge issue,” she said. “The fact that it’s not on the website is not a way for students to start their experience here. It’s like the YMCA was hidden from us, that you didn’t want us to know about it.”

Officials from the Residential Life department said they were unaware that the YMCA was not on the website.

Students also complained that they are paying full rates for their rooms. They said living conditions have been sub-par throughout this semester, and housing rates should be adjusted. They described water and electricity being shut off and receiving asbestos warnings. Students pay approximately $3,600-$4,000 for the semester, in addition to a housing deposit.

Some female students also voiced concerns about unidentified male construction workers walking around their floors without prior notice.

Construction on the new dorm is expected to be completed by Oct. 31, 2013.

“The construction is not going to stop,”
Marina Macomber, assistant vice president of student and administrative services and student affairs, said.

Macomber continued, “We certainly knew there was a project coming, but we’ve been building housing for the last 10 years … we’ve had varying degrees of noise and destruction … year-after-year we’ve been able to manage construction relative to students.”

The meeting ended with officials saying they needed a week to mull over possible options for students. Suggestions by students included priority or reduced housing for next year, and even shutting the YMCA down completely. Unhappy students living at the Y have the option to move for the spring 2012 semester with no increase in their current housing costs.

Also, here's a bonus demolition photo I took of the site today:

YMCA Demolition Update by cacique123, on Flickr

I very much doubt the Oct 2013 completion date for a project for which site clearance is not yet done. If it is a valid date, find that contractor and send him over to the Exeter.

October 2013 sounds more like a date for when the building will be closed in, and construction noise will be much less.

Old building's more or less completely down, some machinery on site.
From Monday.

img_0696.jpg

img_0698.jpg

Regarding those complaints about noise, its nothing new. I was involved in student government (the Resident Student Association) when West Village F was put up, and the students in West Village were always complaining to us about the noise, particularly the pile drivers (we passed one of those meaningless resolutions that college students pass to ask the administration to mitigate the noise; I was opposed). There's really not much that can be done, its either get the job done relatively quickly on the workers' hours, or pay through the noise and have it done a Big Dig schedule.

A lot of heavy equipment working the site these days.

YMCA NE dorm 1:27

Re: Noise - they have a right to complain and the administration / developer should be considerate of their concerns. Yeah, it's not going to change, but setting students' expectations would go a long way to placate them, I'm sure.

I expect noise whenever there's construction - doesn't mean I have to like it! Being four doors down from the Chevron, I've had my share lately. Who woulda thought you could pile drive for 7 hours straight - every day.

Even worse, I don't get up until 10 or 11. Ugh.

8556764764_b641da2fbc_b.jpg

8555653343_a52b7c83f1_b.jpg

Argo ...

Legislators to Northeastern: Build more dorms
Thomas Grillo, Boston Business Journal

Four Boston legislators say Northeastern University has reneged on a promise to build enough dorms to get its undergraduates out of the Mission Hill, Roxbury and Fenway neighborhoods.

“Northeastern is opening satellite schools all over the country, so why is it that they can’t deal with their housing right here in Boston?” said State Rep. Jeffrey Sanchez, a Jamaica Plain Democrat. “The school is dramatically increasing the cost of housing in the neighborhoods. A three-bedroom on Mission Hill costs as much as $4,000 per month because landlords are stacking students in and squeezing out families.”

In a letter to Peter Meade, director of the Boston Redevelopment Authority, Sanchez, City Councilors Michael Ross, Tito Jackson and State Sen. Sonia Chang-Diaz, said while the number of Northeastern undergraduates who live in the neighborhood has risen by more than 24 percent over the last few years, the school is proposing only 550 net new beds as part of the new master plan.

While other schools are cooperating and making great strides, the legislators wrote, Northeastern has failed to live up to its commitment to get students out of private housing in the neighborhood.

Meade could not immediately be reached for comment.

John Tobin, a Northeastern vice president, said the university will meet the previously promised goal of 75 percent of its undergraduates living on campus by 2023. Today, the school houses 7,871 of its 13,000 students on campus, or 60.5 percent. Another 2,000 are commuter students who do not require housing, Tobin said. When the 17-story GrandMarc dorm opens next year at the YMCA, it will add another 720 beds bringing the total to 66 percent.

“We acknowledge that to get to 75 percent we need 1,000 beds over the next decade,” he said. “But we need to strike a balance. In addition to building dorms we also have to build a new science-engineering building as well as athletic and theater space. We want to build those things first before the new beds.”

If the school adds a 1,000 beds over the next 10 years, it will bring the total to 9,591 or 73.7 percent.

“That’s not good enough,” said Sanchez.

Back