Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

Easier to construct and maintain the drainage, all the water runs to the center and the pipes run down the support beams into the platform, no gutters required and less issues with wildlife nesting under them are the two big reasons I've heard. Also reduces the likelihood of snow or ice falling onto vehicles or passengers. They did some research on it for SCR before picking the same double wing design: https://cdn.mbta.com/sites/default/...platforms-and-canopies-materials-and-form.pdf

The solution to " traditional gable drops all the water on the yellow strip" is clearly "make the traditional gable longer"

Clearing the envelope of the transit vehicle then becomes an issue.

The height is a known issue. Its not like theyre getting a 3rd floor. The technology exists, right here in Boston!

Photo-4---Box-District-Station-Platform.jpg

@jass that is actually half of the canopy type to be installed on the GLX stations. SL Gateway has side platform boarding, but imagine that image with the platform extended further to the right, and another boarding zone, creating an island. The canopy on each side would slope in a V, not the inverted V people are supporting here.

@jass that is actually half of the canopy type to be installed on the GLX stations. SL Gateway has side platform boarding, but imagine that image with the platform extended further to the right, and another boarding zone, creating an island. The canopy on each side would slope in a V, not the inverted V people are supporting here.

The Silver Line canopies are terrible at keeping the weather out. That's the whole issue right there. Rain/snow/snot blows sideways...gets redirected off the canopy onto people standing quite far from the yellow line. It's defective-by-design.

We have flat or downsloping platform shelters all over the system in legacy installations, and never once has a transit vehicle been paralyzed by a mound of snow sliding off one of those awnings onto the trackway. That is the absolute lamest excuse ever for insisting that the passengers just have to stay unprotected under a defective-by-design upslope in any moderately windy precipitation event. This isn't fuckin' Buffalo; how many big-dump snow events do we even get annually where slide-off would be the slightest problem??? Or...you know...you could always change something else about the design or extend the protection slightly over the yellow line if a snow slide is truly pants-shitting terror to the designers. But no amount of maint convenience from having a single gutter or not having to install (very effective in most cases) pigeon spikes excuses the fact that passengers get way wetter way more often standing under these upsloping canopies vs. under any level- or down- type of cover. The Silver Line shelters are a roundly ridiculed 2 decade-long sick joke ever since they first popped up on Washington. How did it come to pass that that became the standard, like it or lump it?

I mean...there isn't even enough self-awareness here that if you're going to do upslopes the only way to tolerably balance the fact that they're so design-poorer at keeping the elements out is to make them pretty low to the ground to begin with so they aren't sailing too many feet over people's heads over the yellow line where they're doing the worst of their inward moisture collection. Those SL3 ones are absurdly designed for 9'6" tall freaks to make them doubly useless, and from the shot of Union Sq. it seems like GLX's similarly overestimate on the side of giganticism. They're not even doing upslope designs well as upslope designs go. Exactly as you'd expect a contractor from San Diego to custom-build for our snot-winters up here: design the designers will never themselves get to use.

Ongoing work at the cross st bridge looking over the bridge towards McGrath. It looks like the community path will be coming up to street level and then making a street crossing and going back down. Hopefully they put in a good crosswalk. Or maybe I’m wrong that this is the community path coming up.
CB173E06-1799-442C-9879-AE73591E5041.jpeg
D0906EB5-0B9E-40C2-9603-AFA5406DCB80.jpeg
B711EA6B-CA82-4E5F-BE9A-224D007E46AC.jpeg
696DA5B3-E5CD-4EE0-A443-AB87B8C138E3.jpeg

Ongoing work at the cross st bridge looking over the bridge towards McGrath. It looks like the community path will be coming up to street level and then making a street crossing and going back down. Hopefully they put in a good crosswalk. Or maybe I’m wrong that this is the community path coming up.

Looks like from the plans that you're seeing a ramp up to street level. The path would stay at the RR grade. Assuming this is still current...

The School St bridge JUST got (is being) replaced. Is there a reason there couldn't have been grade-separation for the path here? Maybe not enough right-of-way?

The crossing that really worries me is Central St. I really wish they could have avoided street crossing. Cars go so fast here, and seldom yield to pedestrians trying to cross. Maybe that will change when the path comes, but I'm not holding my breath.

Exactly as you'd expect a contractor from San Diego to custom-build for our snot-winters up here: design the designers will never themselves get to use.

This statement does dirty to some of the wonderful sun shade and platform structures in Southern California.

Oceanside - https://www.google.com/maps/@33.192...4!1shPyTj2oRplVYzQt-5y6Mgg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Carlsbad - https://www.google.com/maps/@33.160...4!1sD_saB2DAUoLBcwD5g2k-Vg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
My fav - Solana Beach - https://goo.gl/maps/gyhB5AQgLawraegk6
Old Town - https://goo.gl/maps/TXfVXuVEsg52z68UA
Rio Vista - https://goo.gl/maps/ESYZJCtg7Tnwo1iQ6

Why are up-sloping shelter roofs suddenly the flavor of the month for new-construction on the T? Inferior by a lot to downsloping roofs at keeping the wind/rain out. Are they trying to make protection from the elements as friggin' useless as the new SL3 shelters in Chelsea?

A huge pet peeve of mine is seeing the T put up these spanking new stations around their system and then having them wrapped in ugly netting to keep the pigeons off. No one at the T is smart enough to design a structure without landing spots for birds? Kind of ridiculous.

I figured I'd memorialize the remains of old Lechemere before it's torn down completely (from 2/6). The new viaduct can be seen looming in the distance.

L1.png

Note: I'd originally posted this in the "Dirty Old Boston" thread, but realized it didn't really meet the criteria of that, so I moved it. However, I do think this scene captures that classic old Boston grit that we're seeing less and less of.

I figured I'd memorialize the remains of old Lechemere before it's torn down completely (from 2/6). The new viaduct can be seen looming in the distance.

View attachment 10172

Note: I'd originally posted this in the "Dirty Old Boston" thread, but realized it didn't really meet the criteria of that, so I moved it. However, I do think this scene captures that classic old Boston grit that we're seeing less and less of.

.....and then, there are some demolitions that make me so happy.

This is correct. Chester Avenue is an access point; but the path will continue at track grade underneath Cross Street as well.
Tha gap between the Chester ave ramp and the future tracks is going to be really skinny. I’d imagine this ramp might be the last point for recreational users with commuters primarily using it from cross st to C crossing.

I'm happiest when the max amount of time you should be sitting on a platform is 6 minutes, and that the dwell time is as short as possible. Stations should be easily accessible from multiple directions to actively blend and integrate well (i.e. provide a core business draw) with the surrounding businesses. Remember the station is the accessory to the neighborhood!

In the spirit of american football vs english football stadiums - I don't want to tailgate at a station. I want to grab a good beer/coffee across the street until the last possible moment before rushing to catch the event.

No idea why we would glamorize an LRT station... The $1B saved in the GLX redesign is well worth it.

Last edited:
I'm happiest when the max amount of time you should be sitting on a platform is 6 minutes, and that the dwell time is as short as possible. Stations should be easily accessible from multiple directions to actively blend and integrate well (i.e. provide a core business draw) with the surrounding businesses. Remember the station is the accessory to the neighborhood!

In the spirit of american football vs english football stadiums - I don't want to tailgate at a station. I want to grab a good beer/coffee across the street until the last possible moment before rushing to catch the event.

No idea why we would glamorize an LRT station... The $1B saved in the GLX redesign is well worth it.
You would think that by 2021 we would have figured out how to have a T station actually protect customers from the elements and be reasonable efficient to maintain. This is not Southern California!

Back