Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

#9 - I don't think that the community path is actually going up there. Last week community meeting did say that there is access to the path from the cross st intersection but I think that ramp is actually a path down to the community path, which will stay at track level. I'm just guessing at this because the meeting last week had an image of the community path elevation change and it doesn't show an incline and decline around cross st. Also there is no evidence of a ramp down on the other side of the cross st bridge.

#9 - I don't think that the community path is actually going up there. Last week community meeting did say that there is access to the path from the cross st intersection but I think that ramp is actually a path down to the community path, which will stay at track level. I'm just guessing at this because the meeting last week had an image of the community path elevation change and it doesn't show an incline and decline around cross st. Also there is no evidence of a ramp down on the other side of the cross st bridge.

yea, the community path will pass under the cross st. Bridge and run along the tracks parallel to Alston st. The ramp is just an access ramp.
By the look of it, It's going to be a tight hemmed in path at this point. Definitely more of a practical commuter option than leisure/exercise

yea, the community path will pass under the cross st. Bridge and run along the tracks parallel to Alston st. The ramp is just an access ramp.
By the look of it, It's going to be a tight hemmed in path at this point. Definitely more of a practical commuter option than leisure/exercise
As an avid bicyclist, I'll take a protected bike path over a street any day. I'm 71 and don't like to be in traffic with drivers who are texting, etc. So a nice paved bike path is always great no matter where it is.

I was hoping for that! Basically an express path with side access ramps.

The bike path is going to run at street level and cross Central, Sycamore, School, Medford and Walnut Streets at grade, because otherwise they'd have to widen the cut even further and rebuild four more bridges. East of Walnut St the ROW widens enough that it can run alongside the tracks and under the bridges.

Boynton Yards (left-center) building (in front of Pru tower), and Union Square station (canopy visible), and U2 Construction, viewed from Prospect Hill, Somerville
99AF00F3-D7C1-41A0-B0C3-5D516DD6B5F3.jpeg

DD18E5D0-CF01-40A3-A0A5-45B572DE81E9.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
@Javier , would you caption these (above) as something like: Union Square Station with U2 site preparation in the foreground as viewed from Prospect Hill, Somerville.
also, you could call out the Boynton Yards building in the top one.

Boynton Yards (left-center) building (in front of Pru tower), and Union Square station (canopy visible), and U2 Construction, vie
1621020899666.png

I thought they were starting with the office building on the corner and not the residential next to the tracks? Or are they piledriving for both at once?

GLX relevance: I assume there site work that needs to be completed by the US2 developer to ensure the station access is available by the Fall?

Last edited:
I believe station access stays close to the streets and therefore is isolated on the perimeter of the dirt you see.

Clearer view of the new bridge at Medford/Tufts, From the corner of Boston Ave @ College Ave;
0D622046-2466-420E-A271-247ECB87029A.jpeg

(will the new bridge age to get the Corten style rust on the “matching” water mains bridge?) They seem to have been matched as twins based on scale and truss pattern:
77C17188-B821-40E0-93D9-4DDC990646E1.jpeg

Last edited:
Or a cistern full of some long forgotten concoction.

The old high school site seems to be Superfund site, given that it’s taken a lot longer than Union Square.

Gilman Sq station from School Street Bridge:

F4A1FFA3-1B3F-486B-BE25-4C163AF6DFAF.jpeg

Looking inbound toward School Street Bridge (seen above trackless GLX ROW, right)
6AB8F887-C0CF-4720-9374-97AD84BB40EC.jpeg

Gilman Sq Station viewed from under the Medford St bridge, (looking outbound from commuter rail tracks)
EA0267E4-2B8C-4A60-9D02-FF67E84229D2.jpeg

School Street bridge (left) viewed from commuter rail tracks looking inbound.
08F7F03A-126E-4E05-BAFA-1E3C7FA7D3FB.jpeg

Next 2 pictures below: Medford St Bridge viewed from inbound side looking outbound (Gilman Sq station is visible in the distance beyond in hazy sunlight)
04941F18-38C3-4817-8441-3E8D8690E784.jpeg
D60EB35A-A4FA-4B75-B3D1-B55DECA12FFD.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
(will the new bridge age to get the Corten style rust on the “matching” water mains bridge?) They seem to have been matched as twins based on scale and truss pattern:

I don't think so. The MWRA truss is weathered steel while the new pedestrian truss is galvanized.

Back