Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

Can it pass the Nor’easter test at Union Sq stop? For starters, where to put all that snow on the platform??

B3638F74-711C-409E-A723-1842A0A4260A.jpeg

Would it really have been that much more to just extend the roof over the tracks (perhaps at a flat of downward angle instead of the inverter we got)? Could the poles/wires just been built into said roof? and then like.. put up some barriers at the front and back of the platform ends...

Yep. If they were going to cheap out they should have gone for Quonset huts.
Good drainage, full cover, American made, at the right price. Quonset... the number one name in 'Gummint Huts!(TM)

A lot of the stops on the GL Riverside Line don't have much of any kind of lid over the boarding platforms. One advantage they do have is the platforms flank both sides of the tracks, rather than just a center platform, which does make snow removal easier. The center platforms on GLX are narrow with really no place to pile up the snow.

All the snow on the platform shows exactly how well that canopy works at keeping weather out 🤣

Which in THAT case, it didn't seem to do a good job at keeping most of the snow off of the platform. Not complaing, just saying. :unsure:

If they really wanted to spend the $$$, they could install electric heating wires in the concrete platforms to melt the snow immediately as it falls.

This was the biggest blizzard to hit the City in 25 years. Absolutely no form of engineered automation was going to keep snow off any outdoor-facing platform anywhere on the system in this last storm, because it was 12+ hours of heavy sideways snow that was drifting 4-6 ft. high in spots from the fierce wind. You're always going to need manual labor to clear it off when it's that severe. I'm no fan of the upsloping shelters either, mainly because they tend to be pretty inept for plain old rain fed through any sort of sustained wind. But let's not lose perspective; this was a maximally challenging storm. Any shelter was going to be useless.

In a real snow clearing, a snow blower could easily loft the snow to the fat margin on the south side of the southern (inbound) track.

I suspect the clearing you see is just something test/construction crew’s improvised

If they really wanted to spend the $$$, they could install electric heating wires in the concrete platforms to melt the snow immediately as it falls.

They DO have heated waiting rooms on some of the platforms on the D Line where the Charlie machines are. I'm well aware that they are trying to save dough where they can, but unless the wait time for a trolley is short, then people will be in for a brutally cold wait time. :unsure:

Much like we saw with other lines like the SL3 opening, will we have an opening date announced in advance? If we are really ready for a March opening, should we hear the official opening date announced in the next couple of weeks?
(Not that I plan on riding it on day 1 or anything 😅)

I don't plan to ride it on opening day either. I can wait. Hopefully, the whole thing will be done in the not-too-distant future. That way, I'd try it out end to end. :)

Much to my kids chagrin, we missed an inbound and outbound train simultaneously while walking down the path. When we got to the end, we were fortunately greeted with the crew (who waved and said hello) stringing up the catenary on the inbound side and another choo choo coming through
If your kids like the trains, there's a cool viewing platform at the Hoyt Sullivan playground on Central st. The catenary guys were working there last week. Dad may have been more interested than kid! :)

Back