Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

How do you mean? Why would it not be possible to close the line for the weekend?
No I’m saying that it says board lechmere bus when that’s not possible and I’m pretty sure they won’t have a train from union to north station. Also there is no easy way for it to turn around without going under the construction area

How do you mean? Why would it not be possible to close the line for the weekend?

It's entirely possible for them to close the line north of GC for the weekend. As cubbe8 said, there's no easy turnaround from the north that avoids the construction area; there's a nonrevenue crossover between North Station and Haymarket, though it's fairly close to the construction site, and I don't think it's ever been regularly used, that's the only possible crossing that would permit service from Union Square to North Station without touching Haymarket, so they basically have to close.

I think the bigger issue is that the alert makes no mention of Union Square (or Science Park, for that matter) and only a passing and confusing reference to Lechmere, making it entirely unclear if there's shuttle service beyond North Station. To me, it reads as though it was written by someone who forgot that service past NS will have resumed by the time of the closure (they've been making a lot of typos and mistakes in GL service alerts lately).

EDIT: Per Twitter, the T says that service will run between North Station and Union Square. (Maybe they're finally using that crossover?) Doesn't explain the reference to the Lechmere shuttle in the service alert, but at least explains why the Union Sq. branch wasn't mentioned. (Wouldn't it just be easier to say they're shuttling between GC and North, and only the NS-Haymarket-GC segment has no train service?)

Last edited:
It's entirely possible for them to close the line north of GC for the weekend. As cubbe8 said, there's no easy turnaround from the north that avoids the construction area; there's a nonrevenue crossover between North Station and Haymarket, though it's fairly close to the construction site, and I don't think it's ever been regularly used, that's the only possible crossing that would permit service from Union Square to North Station without touching Haymarket, so they basically have to close.

I think the bigger issue is that the alert makes no mention of Union Square (or Science Park, for that matter) and only a passing and confusing reference to Lechmere, making it entirely unclear if there's shuttle service beyond North Station. To me, it reads as though it was written by someone who forgot that service past NS will have resumed by the time of the closure (they've been making a lot of typos and mistakes in GL service alerts lately).

EDIT: Per Twitter, the T says that service will run between North Station and Union Square. (Maybe they're finally using that crossover?) Doesn't explain the reference to the Lechmere shuttle in the service alert, but at least explains why the Union Sq. branch wasn't mentioned. (Wouldn't it just be easier to say they're shuttling between GC and North, and only the NS-Haymarket-GC segment has no train service?)
They could potentially be also using the pocket track but I doubt it

They could potentially be also using the pocket track but I doubt it

The NS yard? Wouldn't that make them have to only run one track at NS? (Not like they couldn't do that, but it'd be even more confusing.)

They also say this is the only option for magstripe CharlieTickets... How on earth are they going to validate those fares? The on-board fareboxes printing out validation receipts? Asking the driver if they saw you pay?

They aren't. They don't have any capability to validate anything yet. They're willing to lose money from folks stealing rides.

I've been trying to find the first train timings from Union Square. Seems like the first revenue trip from Union Square is an E train departing at 4:50am on Monday, then a D train at 4:52, followed by regular E trains at 8 min frequencies (source: Transit app).

There's a grand opening at Lechmere at 11:30am, but it doesn't seem to affect revenue service in the morning.

Am I right?

I've been trying to find the first train timings from Union Square. Seems like the first revenue trip from Union Square is an E train departing at 4:50am on Monday, then a D train at 4:52, followed by regular E trains at 8 min frequencies (source: Transit app).

There's a grand opening at Lechmere at 11:30am, but it doesn't seem to affect revenue service in the morning.

Am I right?

Looks that way.

“The emergency lights are flashing red,” said Ben Ewen-Campen, a city councilor whose district includes Union Square.

Its so unfortunate that the very ppl that need transit are pushed out/priced out and the rich ppl that dont even use transit buy up the nearby properties. Its the literal opposite of what should be happening.

Its so unfortunate that the very ppl that need transit are pushed out/priced out and the rich ppl that dont even use transit buy up the nearby properties. Its the literal opposite of what should be happening.
It is the dark side of Transit Oriented Development; Transit Induced Gentrification.

There's several studies on this, but part of the problem for Somerville is the generally high market demand for housing here that already made these units prices go up, with or without the GL. That rent differential between Davis and Union makes these lower income, therefore cheaper and higher profit, areas so tempting for investors and developers once it was certain the line was going in - in a way that Andrew or Oak Grove, for example, isn't attracting as much in TOD demand.

Last edited:

Am I right?
Just called the T and got official confirmation that you are exactly right. Departure #1 is a 4:50 AM train to Heath Street.

This article missed the core problem- the GLX isn't enough, and not by a long shot. Housing is a regional problem. Transit should be a regional solution. Of course the area is more desirable. It's a supply issue. Add more TOD throughout the area, try catch up with demand. Spreading out commercial districts in Union, Assembly, Riverside etc is a key component of a balanced geoeconomic region.

And wealthy individuals moving back to the city is a pendulum back from white flight and unsustainable suburban sprawl. That's not a bad thing.

If ever there was an argument for the NSRL and regional rail, it's a housing supply crisis. How is this not at the top of Bakers potential replacements to-do list?

Some photos of Lechmere from this morning. Most fences are down, but still a lot to be done with less than 24 hours to go:
IMG_0513.JPG

IMG_0518.JPG

IMG_0519.JPG

IMG_0522 - Copy.JPG

Seems like all E trains are running to Union Square today, with non-revenue service past North Station:
IMG_0559.JPG

Some trains even have "Union Square" on display (this is at Heath St):
IMG_0633.JPG

Just called the T and got official confirmation that you are exactly right. Departure #1 is a 4:50 AM train to Heath Street.
Whats the best breakfast coffee shop along the new route Monday inbound? Theo's in NE is closed, Beatrice in CC is closed... The new Tatte in CC?

Ran the 6 mile route this morning- it's a godawful street side path along McGrath. Can't wait for the separated path to open.

Whats the best breakfast coffee shop along the new route Monday inbound? Theo's in NE is closed, Beatrice in CC is closed... The new Tatte in CC?

Ran the 6 mile route this morning- it's a godawful street side path along McGrath. Can't wait for the separated path to open.

The Neighborhood Restaurant (Portuguese diner) in Union Square is delicious and opens at 7.

Vinal Bakery (222 Somerville Ave) opens at 8am. Excellent coffee, even better breakfast sandwiches and English muffins (best I've ever had in Greater Boston).

If ever there was an argument for the NSRL and regional rail, it's a housing supply crisis. How is this not at the top of Bakers potential replacements to-do list?

From loi to completion of nsrl is probably going to be 20 years. The fact that were not even in the initial stages of nsrl is friggin mindblowing. We should at the very minimum be getting some of the initial processes underway that way once funding can be attained were not starting from absolute scratch. Nsrl is absolutely vital to the future viability of the area as a desirable place to work/live. It seems like the baker admin is fine with basically resting on its laurels and hoping for the best. Nothing says the future of Boston is guaranteed and ignoring some of the major problems is only going to make them compound over time with more ppl/cars/jobs. Thank god baker isnt running for reelection, its time for him to go.

Back