Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

1647819727412.png

It's a shame an escalator wasn't worked into this island station platform's design. This isn't the Loop -- and this was pitched as something that will attract ridership that would warrant an escalator for people movement and ease of a climb. Also, it seems like in 2022 and in the "hyped up" Cambridge Crossing area, an escalator would happen here.

View attachment 22512
It's a shame an escalator wasn't worked into this island station platform's design. This isn't the Loop -- and this was pitched as something that will attract ridership that would warrant an escalator for people movement and ease of a climb. Also, it seems like in 2022 and in the "hyped up" Cambridge Crossing area, an escalator would happen here.
Yeah that would have been nice

View attachment 22512

Give me a “V.”

V

Give me an “E!”

E

Last edited:
I hope the station was designed so that an escalator can be installed in the future without ripping the entire station apart. Although, futuring isn't the MBTA's strong suit.

I'm excited as anyone for this to open, but Lechmere is the ONE station they could have spent some extra money on. I find it funny that London has been testing the Elizabeth line for over a year. (I see quite a few videos on station completions across the Elizabeth line, and they are so granular detailed.) While here in the USA, construction workers are putting up chain link fence the day before the extension opens. I think that says a lot about our infrastructure priorities here in the USA.

The original Lechmere station was built as "temporary" but it lasted for almost a 100 years.
Well, sure, but my point stands: this new one could be described as "bare bones," but to call it out as such when it's replacing an even more austere station (whatever the history of such) seems a little... odd.

And, really, what above-ground green line stations are even kinda opulent? Newton Center has the restaurant built into the station (original, gorgeous structure) and there may be others that I either haven't been to or forgot about that have some sorta "perks," but most GL stations are sheds/roofs and a platform -- that's it. Often you get proximity to a convenience store or fast food or coffee or whatever, but none of that's part of any of the stations. Most above-gound rapid transit stations I've been to in Europe and Chia are the same, fwiw -- many even more "bare bones."

IIRC an escalator was originally planned at Lechmere back in like ~2014 but was dropped from the project due to the subsequent cost overruns. I hope Lechmere was built with space reserved for a potential future escalator, but it doesn't really seem like that's the case.

I hope the station was designed so that an escalator can be installed in the future without ripping the entire station apart. Although, futuring isn't the MBTA's strong suit.
A question, if I may. That all actually looks pretty exposed... Do outdoor escalators that can handle snow and ice in NE exist? I can't think of any examples off the top of my head, outside of maybe the DC Metro? I can just imagine someone slipping on an icy slippery aluminum tread and having a ball of a time arguing liability.

You probably could put it in a hamster tube esque enclosure, but that would be hell in the summer. Might as well enclose the entire access vertical. But yes, one more vote in favor of an escalator addon if possible

Last edited:
Hey at least it had fare gates

And it being on the ground level is, honestly, notable too.

Call me fat, because I am, but I hate stairs. Sure, it has elevators, but no way it has the capacity to make up for the escalator.

Regardless of my own preferences, I believe that "minimizing friction" is an important ideal. Every little annoyance, however small, adds up - in this case, there will be some X amount of people turned off from Lechmere station because of stairs.

Is it lazy? Yes. Does that change that less people would use it than if escalators were there? I don't think so.

That station looks as bare bones as possible.

I must disagree with the implication in that statement.

Transportation should be functional. The fixation on larding up every transportation project with all the fixings, because they are perceived as the one shot for everyone to get the pet project funded, is why so many projects get stuck in turnaround.

Transportation should be functional. The fixation on larding up every transportation project with all the fixings, because they are perceived as the one shot for everyone to get the pet project funded, is why so many projects get stuck in turnaround.

Holy hell, so much this!

There’s always an opportunity to go back and make a modification or two here and/or there. I don’t care if it looks like it’s from a bad sci-fi film or not. Most riders don’t either. Is it reliable? Does it get me from point a) to point b)?

Looking barebones is one thing but a 3 story walk up with no escalators? Can I get from point a to point b? Sure. How about when your feeling achy? When carrying a child? When the elevator is out? When it’s raining? Having a transit system that works for all users in a wide variety of situations isn’t lard, it’s accessibility.

Jfk, a much more “important” station on the red and CR lines, forces you to walk up a few stories into the station and then back down to the platforms, and ppl get along fine there.

Jfk, a much more “important” station on the red and CR lines, forces you to walk up a few stories into the station and then back down to the platforms, and ppl get along fine there.

Be that as it may, that's not really an argument in favor of Lechmere's born inadequacies. My takeaway from that example is that JFK/UMass should have escalators, and I can only assume that it doesn't for cost and/or space reasons. That we have a bunch of inadequate stations doesn't mean that we should build (or quietly accept) new stations with similar inadequacies; we're at least fortunate that the ADA didn't let them say "some stations have no elevators, so the GLX doesn't need them either". It's obviously not a perfect comparison, but Texasian is right about accessibility being about more than one thing (i.e. elevators), especially given that elevators and escalators have significantly different speed and capacities.

It's not the end of the world by any means, but when we're talking about a project this significant and this expensive, I'm having a hard time believing that escalators could ever be the straw that broke the camel's back when it comes to cost-control. Much like the faregates' removal, it seems like they cut anything that wasn't absolutely required, which is both depressing and annoying, because there's a difference between overly-opulent, wasteful things and elements that add cost but provide useful benefits. (If that proposition requires further testing, I propose we remove the escalators from Porter for a demonstration to Baker-types as to what things are and aren't extravagances in a transit station.)

Back