Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

From the 80 bus at College Ave / Tufts today
B8596F69-7EF5-48AD-BD1A-5AF5792B5AB7.jpeg
D90A70FD-934E-4B14-BAAF-A17CDA07D443.jpeg
1A577E34-7A50-437B-9848-45E67865BA72.jpeg
C83CD4A1-0914-4844-A7B1-88E1AE046123.jpeg

Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 10.07.38 AM.png

Took this at about 8 last night from Cross st. looking at E. Somerville station.
Good to see there's work continuing in the evenings.
but look at the path plunging in to darkness.
They seem to have put the street lights in all the areas that have near by light and avoided the areas with no light.
The art installation in Ball square with 20 odd lights seems a bit misjudged if there's no light where it's actually needed.
I know the city are talking about adding lighting, just strange that that cant be done in tandem with the overall construction.

I wonder how many residents will regret their request for a transparent top wall once it turns opaque, or else demand that the MBTA regularly power wash the glass (which of course will never happen).

You guys are being hysterical.

These glass walls were installed a decade ago and look fine.

I guarantee the NJDOT is doing zero maintenance on them.

They swapped the open sidewalk on the School Street bridge to the side away from the station entrance. I assume they are doing so to facilitate installation of the curb ramp for the bike path.

The offset curb cut locations for the School Street crossing are going to cause lots bicyclists to try to jump the curb.
I actually think it is OK for the State to say "we built your streetscape to a level that statewide voters were content with, and if you want something better, that's what local government is for.

So that's considered art? Why not just put up a blank white sign and wait a few days? At least that would be evolving art.
Maybe they're going for irony through out the extension.
Pay for graffiti here and pay to have it removed everywhere else.
In Gillman pay for a huge lighting installation but don't light the community path fully.
In Lechmere put images of vegetation on the glass head houses but don't plant any trees around the station.

I actually like all the art I've seen so far tho.

In the pic above, what's that little skinny cabinet over to the right? An electrical box?!! :unsure:

In the pic above, what's that little skinny cabinet over to the right? An electrical box?!! :unsure:
They've just installed one of these under the Washington st. bridge, on the north side, away from the East somerville station.

Final paving is complete on the first segment of the bike path from the current terminus to Central St, and I spied at least two cyclists availing themselves of it.

So that's considered art? Why not just put up a blank white sign and wait a few days? At least that would be evolving art.

Seriously, thats whats going to happen here anyways. People are going to feel free to scribble all over this because it looks like it already has been, maybe thats the point idk.

There is amazing graffiti art out there (See Comuna 13 in Medellin Colombia)
This just looks like haphazard gang tags.
From a song by Bob Dylan:
"The empty handed painter from your streets
Is drawing crazy patterns on your sheets."

Back