Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

I've not found a portion that can't be fairly easily (if illegaly) accessed, though I did get barked at for walking on the portion near the viaduct.

I noticed the sculptural lighting at the Magoun bridge was mostly working this evening. I think the lights are not compatible with the lack of sunlight to recharge their batteries in the depths of Boston winter. That would be one heck of a manifestation of the VE mentality.

only the section between lowell and central is open. Everything else is fenced off, though the sections between central and sycamore, and sycamore and school look like they're 100% complete.
That Lowell to central section is intermittent at best.

I wasn’t sure the best thread for this (apologies if it’s already been posted), but I figure the GLX might have had something to do with this. Hint: Cellarity is in Boynton Yards and Form Energy is at Greentown Labs.

From the BBJ:

7BA1EF8D-950F-441B-B2A3-407003BC66F8.jpeg

“ February 08, 2023
By Hannah Green
The venture capital market may have cooled off in 2022, with Massachusetts startups raising around $19.5 billion compared to $35.7 billion in 2021, but some cities across the country — and here in the Bay State — still saw rapid growth.
Somerville was the U.S. city that saw the most rapid growth in startup funding, according to New Hampshire-based investment firm York IE. The new “fastest-growing startup city” beat out contenders like Irvine, Houston and Boulder.
To create this ranking, York IE compared each city’s Q4 funding to its average quarterly funding over the prior 12 months. Somerville saw a 735% growth rate with startups raising $638,400,000 through seven funding rounds in Q4.
The top funding round in Somerville went to Form Energy, a maker of iron-air batteries that it says can store clean energy for days without incurring high costs. The company announced a $450 million late-stage investment in October.
Flagship-backed Cellarity raised the second largest round of $121 million. Cellarity has said it is on a mission to eradicate “all diseases,” but it’s making headway on two disease areas in particular, blood and metabolic disorders.
Other large rounds raised by Somerville companies include a $33 million Series C round for LineVision and a $25 million Series C round for Owl Labs.

The top 10 fastest-growing startup cities, per York IE, are:

Somerville, Massachusetts
Irvine, California
Alpharetta, Georgia
Fort Worth, Texas
Houston, Texas
Salt Lake City, Utah
Los Altos, California
Boulder, Colorado
Indianapolis, Indiana
Santa Clara, California

For comparison, Irvine saw a 415% growth rate and Santa Clara had an 18% growth rate.

The report also noted the 10 cities whose companies received the most funding in Q4 of 2022. Boston ranked fourth on this list behind San Francisco, New York City and Irvine. Cambridge ranked fifth among U.S. cities and Somerville was seventh. Last year, Boston ranked third. Here is the full list:

San Francisco, California
New York, New York
Irvine, California
Boston, Massachusetts
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Chicago, Illinois
Austin, Texas
Los Angeles, California
Seattle, Washington

I wasn’t sure the best thread for this (apologies if it’s already been posted), but I figure the GLX might have had something to do with this. Hint: Cellarity is in Boynton Yards and Form Energy is at Greentown Labs.

From the BBJ:

View attachment 34249

“ February 08, 2023
By Hannah Green
The venture capital market may have cooled off in 2022, with Massachusetts startups raising around $19.5 billion compared to $35.7 billion in 2021, but some cities across the country — and here in the Bay State — still saw rapid growth.
Somerville was the U.S. city that saw the most rapid growth in startup funding, according to New Hampshire-based investment firm York IE. The new “fastest-growing startup city” beat out contenders like Irvine, Houston and Boulder.
To create this ranking, York IE compared each city’s Q4 funding to its average quarterly funding over the prior 12 months. Somerville saw a 735% growth rate with startups raising $638,400,000 through seven funding rounds in Q4.
The top funding round in Somerville went to Form Energy, a maker of iron-air batteries that it says can store clean energy for days without incurring high costs. The company announced a $450 million late-stage investment in October.
Flagship-backed Cellarity raised the second largest round of $121 million. Cellarity has said it is on a mission to eradicate “all diseases,” but it’s making headway on two disease areas in particular, blood and metabolic disorders.
Other large rounds raised by Somerville companies include a $33 million Series C round for LineVision and a $25 million Series C round for Owl Labs.

The top 10 fastest-growing startup cities, per York IE, are:

Irvine, California
Alpharetta, Georgia
Fort Worth, Texas
Houston, Texas
Salt Lake City, Utah
Los Altos, California
Boulder, Colorado
Indianapolis, Indiana
Santa Clara, California

For comparison, Irvine saw a 415% growth rate and Santa Clara had an 18% growth rate.

The report also noted the 10 cities whose companies received the most funding in Q4 of 2022. Boston ranked fourth on this list behind San Francisco, New York City and Irvine. Cambridge ranked fifth among U.S. cities and Somerville was seventh. Last year, Boston ranked third. Here is the full list:

San Francisco, California
New York, New York
Irvine, California
Boston, Massachusetts
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Chicago, Illinois
Austin, Texas
Los Angeles, California
Seattle, Washington
Soooo, add transit and new housing near three universities = Profit? Crazy talk!

My unrealistic optimism tells me there’s a chance he’s leaving the MBTA to be Healey’s Transportation Secretary… but I know that’s not true. We really cannot afford to lose what little talent we have at the MBTA.

Back