Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

Re: Green Line to Medford to start in 2011

I'm all for this! However, how is the MBTA going to afford this?

^It doesn't say how they can afford it. Are you saying that the T now has a lot of money, choo-choo man?

They budgeted for it in the last transportation bill. Of course, much of that budget came from the tech tax that they are now rescinding.
White/Skanska/Kiewit was awarded the project a while back, but it's a CMGC project. Which is basically a modified design build. So they're still designing it. Presumably they'll 100% plans in 2015 or 2016.

Well, we'll have at least one extension before 2020. I've never been to Union Square, is there anything worthwhile there?

Breakfast under the grape vines at Neighborhood...

There's tons of bars and restaurants. It's not fully gentrified like Davis Square is, so it still feels like it has a bit of an edge. Lots of light industrial lots zoned for redev. 5-10 minute walk to Inman, 15-20 minute walk to Central/Harvard/Porter. 25-30 minute walk to Davis. And busses to take you to any of those places and more (it might even be quicker than walking on a good day!). Once the GL arrives the area is going to explode... and I will probably not be able to afford my cozy apartment right across from the old Somerville Journal building anymore. I really like living there.

They budgeted for it in the last transportation bill. Of course, much of that budget came from the tech tax that they are now rescinding.
White/Skanska/Kiewit was awarded the project a while back, but it's a CMGC project. Which is basically a modified design build. So they're still designing it. Presumably they'll 100% plans in 2015 or 2016.

The tech tax was a big part, yes, but it wasn't all of it. They raised approx. $500 million in new revenue.

The important thing is that the tech tax dollars were never supposed to go directly to transportation. They were going to go into the general fund. So the gap to be filled is in the general budget, not in the new revenue for transportation, at least technically.

The thing that drove me crazy about the new transportation budget is the Legislature crowing about how it's a big increase in spending. But if you include ARRA money and the Accelerated Bridge Bond (which is now almost fully spent), DOT will actually have less money to spend on capital projects this year than in years past.

^If I can't get there by train, I'm not coming.

^If I can't get there by train, I'm not coming.

Its nearly equidistant between Sullivan and Harvard (just over a mile). There's this amazing invention called the 86 bus that runs between the two. There are also bicycles and legs with which to walk. Go figure.

or 87 from Lechmere/Davis or 91 from Central/Sullivan

Sighhh....transferring to a bus sucks!

Just take the Fitchburg line and jump off halfway between North Station and Porter Square.

Sullivan is the closest. It's a mile walk, same as walking the Back Bay end to end.

Depending on what side of the square you start on Central and Sullivan are practically the same distance and take ~18minutes if you're walking fast. Harvard's a little more than 20 minutes. Porter's ~25minutes, Davis and Kendall are closer to 30.

The positioning of the station will be a 2 to 10 minutes walk from different areas of the broadly defined "Union Square" neighborhood (assuming you use School Street as a western boundary for the neighborhood.) It will also be closer to Inman Square than Central is (<10 minutes for the north side of Inman).

I've always thought the position of the station relative to what is widely considered Union Square is interesting. I think the hope is that the station and the proposed development immediately surrounding it will stretch the square a little bit in size. I also think the location will be a huge boost for Inman Square.

^ Agreed. The Washington Street bridge would probably be a better geographic location, but it doesn't have as much room for redevelopment around the station - in fact, it's pretty crowded around the Washington St bridge with the Argenziano School and residences crowding it. The Prospect Street bridge is surrounded by light industrial and used-car lots, so it's the easy choice as far as redev is concerned. Bagging Inman Square is a huge draw also. Using the Washington Street bridge would also have moved up the relocation of the substation to this phase of the build as opposed to being punted to a future Porter Square extension.

Back