Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

Re: Green Line to Medford to start in 2011

What's Tufts College? It's Tufts University.
Says their corporate image-makers, but its not my job to pander to the self-aggrandizing administrators, especially when they spread their facilities across 3 jurisdictions.

Meanwhile, Tufts College, like Harvard College, is the ancient original thing at the core of the University--there can always be a place called Tufts College, whether the institution likes it or not--indeed, it is still there as "College Ave" and its alumni association was "Tufts College Alumni Association" until 1997.

And whatever a University is, people know that undergraduates hang out at college. Mostly its them that I worry about getting to/from, not so much the Fletcher School types.

{EDIT} and, to top it all off, their legal name remains:
Trustees of Tufts College {/EDIT}

Says them, but its not my job to pander to the self-aggrandizing administrators, especially when they spread their facilities across 3 jurisdictions

Meanwhile, Tufts College, like Harvard College, is the ancient original thing at the core of the University--there can always be a place called Tufts College, whether the institution likes it or not--indeed, it is still there as "College Ave" and its alumni association was "Tufts College Alumni Association" until 1997.

And whatever a University is, people know that undergraduates hang out at college.

Honestly if you're going to make one Tufts Med and one Tufts [insert educational title here], call College Ave "Tufts University" and remove any reference to Tufts at Davis Square. Davis is too far from the University to have any business attaching "Tufts" to the name once the Green Line station opens. You don't call it Stony Brook/Egleston Square, so you shouldn't call it Davis/Tufts Univ.

Honestly if you're going to make one Tufts Med and one Tufts [insert educational title here], call College Ave "Tufts University" and remove any reference to Tufts at Davis Square. Davis is too far from the University to have any business attaching "Tufts" to the name once the Green Line station opens. You don't call it Stony Brook/Egleston Square, so you shouldn't call it Davis/Tufts Univ.

As I see it, the University is a thin, nearly-meaningless, administrative veneer atop the "real destinations", and I'd rather be unambiguous. The university is everywhere the Tufts brand goes and so spreads ambiguity.

But I know for sure: there's no College in Chinatown and there's no Medical in Medford. Forced to chose between these, everyone will make the right decision bascially 100% of the time.

Tufts College, aside from being the ancient, core, {legal}, and undergraduate name is also contains the name of the crosstreet. I'm done.

{I'm fine if you want to take the "Tufts" cruft off Davis Sq}

The can also call it 'College Ave/Tufts University'

What about Tufts/College?

For real confusion if we return to the Green Line out in the "burbs" stops beimg named by the connecting Streets:

Boston/College -- the intersection of Boston Ave and College Ave

The worst nightmare for the potheads and others headijng North who pass out on the long ride on the GLX ..... suddenly coming to .... and thinking that somehow they've ended-up in Chestnut Hill on the B Line

Could the orange stakes be the site for the GLX track footings? They continue right to the current elevated tracks. They also put up a sign right next to the stakes warning drivers to slow down due to construction.

Could the orange stakes be the site for the GLX track footings? They continue right to the current elevated tracks. They also put up a sign right next to the stakes warning drivers to slow down due to construction.

Little early for that yet. Might just be Dig Safe markers for underground lines. They have to map everything in the area and note that on the schematics before breaking ground on the new station. Also possible it has nothing at all to do with GLX, since the bigger Northpoint gets the more utility interconnections it's going to need.

Little early for that yet. Might just be Dig Safe markers for underground lines. They have to map everything in the area and note that on the schematics before breaking ground on the new station. Also possible it has nothing at all to do with GLX, since the bigger Northpoint gets the more utility interconnections it's going to need.
Didn't they tend to lay electric lines along the electric railways?

Didn't they tend to lay electric lines along the electric railways?

Yeah. Although from the way the sticks in the ground trace it it looks like this bisects the viaduct instead of running along it. Either left-right in the photo into the heart of Lechmere Sq. at the O'Brien/Cambridge St. intersection or straight ahead between the sticks to somewhere between the second and third girders to the left of that tree (direction of the O'Brein/Leighton St. intersection).

That's why I'm wondering if this is Northpoint-related. The big Water St. development under construction is 1 block almost directly behind if going by the straight-ahead vantage point through the sticks. That thing's definitely going to be big enough to need a substantial new utility connection.

Whatever the work is, it is disrupting Green Line service after 9pm tomorrow night. I'm doubting it is GLX, as it is still in Phase I, and whatever this is, is not outline in Phase I.

City meeting yesterday teased some news to come out in the next two months: MassDOT is looking at completing the entire Somerville Community Path as a part of the GLX construction. This would mean connecting Northpoint in Cambridge with where the path currently dead-ends outside Davis Square. In other words, connecting Boston to the Minuteman path.

^ That is great news for Somerville, Cambridge, and Boston!

^Looks like I will be biking to work in the future! that's really great. Combined with the bridges, a nice bike ride from porter sq->GLX->esplanade-> harvard sq is in the works.

Also, they are really moving some land near lechmere where it looks like the new station will be. Is that what's going on, or is it all the condos at this stage still?

If they complete the path to Northpoint, and have a bridge connection to the Greenway, this will be the tipping point in bicycle transportation for the Boston area. It will put downtown Boston within a 10 mile commute (which I think is the reasonable maximum for biking), free from traffic and stoplights (for the most part), for Somerville, and the Minuteman communities out to Lexington. Think of all the Cambridge Street bike traffic, and all the bikers that spill off the Minuteman at Alewife. Biking from Davis to Northpoint, East Kendall, North Station will be a 15 minute ride, and to the Financial district and Seaport maybe 25 minutes. Much faster than the T or a car.

If this happens, I predict a flood of riders pouring over the Charles each morning onto the Greenway. Then there will be a push for a cycle track or similar down the Greenway. And critical mass will have been reached.

That's good. Although I'd hold back on doing the full fistpump until they ID the funding particulars for it. Design's come along nicely because of all the dependencies that have to be pre-built into the GLX ROW, but the whole reason the Path was semi-decoupled from GLX was because they didn't have a funding pipeline for it and thus could not make a firm commitment. It was kind of wavering out in there in la-la land with the Route 16 terminus as stuff they I.O.U.'d commitment to build, but non-bindingly.

As long as they've got some substantive answers to give on what exactly they're doing to bind the financing--something beyond "Uhh, we haven't figured that out yet but we promise"--reason to get excited.

None of the designs circulated so far completed the final Northpoint connection. I think it stopped at Washington St. because the maze through the Innerbelt required ped overpasses to tie it in to Northpoint that were beyond the project boundaries of GLX + SCP. That's not a problem in real terms because look at that gorgeous footbridge at Northpoint that got built by its lonesome. The connector would be a separate breakaway project amongst those stakeholders that could happen quickly, with more Cambridge and private developer involvement than the Path Ext. which is a primarily Somerville + MassDOT joint. Just no point in committing now when the Path Extension design isn't 100% final to its terminus, and some of the GLX carhouse trackage it may have to bridge over/under isn't funded or at final design either. They have to know where their jumping-off point is.

I would love to know how if there's a way to tie in all the interconnected parkland on the Science Park/viaduct side direct and grade-separated to the Esplanade without having the Leverett Circle chasm to cross. That's really, really, really the finishing touch when you consider:

-- SCP connects to Alewife, the Minuteman, Fresh Pond, and the Fitchburg Cutoff path.
-- They're stringing together the Mystic Reservation path through Arlington and Medford from Alewife/Minuteman with a goal of connecting/almost-connecting everything up to Wellington.
-- The Watertown Branch Path is going to connect to Fresh Pond when the state finishes negotiating its purchase of the recently abandoned freight ROW, adding a leg that will see foot traffic levels similar to the Minuteman in Arlington. And eventually getting filled by City of Watertown bit-by-bit between the Mall, Watertown Sq., and the Charles paths up there. Complete Charles circuit. through Somerville, Cambridge, and Watertown on a paved Bipedal Urban Ring thing. You will not believe how crowded that will be. It'll be a real-deal commuter line for people who bike to work.
-- The Fitchburg Cutoff path could get extended all the way to Belmont Ctr. Possibly even Waverley on a later leg.
-- Good potential for a Porter fork off Alewife with footbridges over the tracks to Danehy Park.
-- Billerica is looking to acquire and fill the gap in the Narrow Guage/Yankee Doodle Trail to complete the Minuteman, etc. circuit just shy of North Billerica station on the Lowell Line.
-- If they play their cards right stringing together the Mystic paths, do a footbridge over Fellsway to Station Landing, and make the sidewalks on 16 and 28 over the bridges to Gateway Ctr. and Assembly much wider and less terrifying...direct connections to the Assembly paths, Everett-side Mystic paths, and the Malden-Lynn Bike to the Sea.
-- Better connectivity between the Esplanade and Emerald Necklace if they can fill in the Landmark Ctr.-Kenmore gap and only make it a couple blocks through Kenmore to get across the gap.

ALL OF THIS IS DIRECT-CONNECTED TO ALL OF THIS.

I mean, that is stratospheric if they execute on it and the SCP Ext. is the critical missing piece that makes it all happen. If they get the funding to proceed to build, it's mega. Mega.

^Looks like I will be biking to work in the future! that's really great. Combined with the bridges, a nice bike ride from porter sq->GLX->esplanade-> harvard sq is in the works.

Also, they are really moving some land near lechmere where it looks like the new station will be. Is that what's going on, or is it all the condos at this stage still?

All construction in that area is apartments. There is no action on the new Lechmere station site yet.

could this thread be renamed?

Oh, definitely not. The name is the best part. It is a wonderful reminder of how long overdue this project is and how it still won't move until 2017 at the soonest. At full build, the Ted Williams Tunnel - for which the GLX was mitigation (OK, all of the Big Dig)- will be almost 20 years old.

If anything, that past-tense date is too conservative. Shouldn't it more accurately be "Green Line to West Medford Sq. to start in 1998"?

You know, like "E service to Arborway to resume in 1991" or "Equal or better Roxbury rapid transit by '95".

None of the designs circulated so far completed the final Northpoint connection. I think it stopped at Washington St. because the maze through the Innerbelt required ped overpasses to tie it in to Northpoint that were beyond the project boundaries of GLX + SCP.

In the last public meeting MassDOT had on the paths (about a year ago) they said it was way too difficult/expensive to build a pedestrian connection between Innerbelt and Northpoint (the former location of the ominously-named "Red Bridge" that crosses the Fitchburg line.) What started this whole reexamination of the community path extension was a lot of pushback at that meeting about the missed connection in the final mile. The current proposals on the path were the ones presented at that meeting. Next public meeting on the paths with MassDOT is next spring but they've dropped hints since then that part of the path would be built alongside the stations (Gilman and Washington stops would use the path as emergency egress routes).

I would agree with F-Line that offering a useful (i.e. going from someplace interesting to someplace interesting) non-vehicular path, tied to a mass transit route and interconnecting with a series of other paths could actually change the way Metro Boston travels. If Watertown/Grand Junction/Somerville/Northern Strand/Mystic were all totally built out, plus all the Boston infrastructure coming down the pike, I would (almost) never need to drive to (almost) anyplace worth visiting.

To (pun alert) derail the thread for one moment, I would humbly submit that the Fitchburg line is perhaps the greatest cause of challenges to Somerville's transportation infrastructure, causing more isolation and blight than even 28 and 93. I hate it even more than Thoreau did.

Back