Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

Re: Green Line to Medford to start in 2011

More generally, less-affluent communities that suffer disproportionate impact from environmental pollution, whether that be from industry, highways, diesel trains, hazmat, etc.

I personally think extending any of the T lines is great and should be done. But I have to question whether or not the MBTA should work to make the current Green line more efficient. As it stands now, it is by far the slowest and least efficient of the 4 subway lines. I would also argue it is probably one of the slowest and least efficient transit lines I have ever ridden on.

A better intelligent digital signal and switching system for the green line would save massive amounts of time. Of course that would make too much sense. We are talking about a transit agency which can't even figure out signal priority on street running routes!

A better signal system would definitely help. Also, I hope they consider running 3-car trains like they did one summer a few years ago. There was much less stop-and-go, particularly in the central subway, since there were fewer actual trains carrying the same number of people.

^ At the price of longer waits?

I don't know if this has to do with signals, but do you guys know why the red line sometimes when it comes into Park street heading towards Ashmont or Braintree will stop a few hundred feet from the platform and wait for a few minutes. This happens when there is not a train on the platform.

This is designed to frustrate the passengers both on the train who are eager to get off and those who are standing on the platform and are anxious to get on the train. They particular like to use this technique during rushhour commutes when tensions are already high and the claustraphobic nature compounds the sensations.

01.jpg

Extend the lower branch past Union Square to Porter, with an intermediate stop.

When I lived near Porter, my job was in the Blackstone Block, for which the T stop was Haymarket. I'd gaze longingly down those tracks toward downtown and wish I could just hop on a Green Line train to Haymarket instead of transferring at Park Street.

Then I switched to a job in Belmont Center, and guess what...

That Fitchburg Line would work fine as light rail to Belmont Center or maybe Brandeis; it ought to be converted, like the Indigo Line.

I think someone answered why the Union Square branch couldn't be extended toward Porter somewhere in this thread, but I forget the reasoning. It's certainly nowhere near as complicated a problem as the Red/Blue connector...

Another question: are the Somerville trains all terminating downtown, at Government Center or something, or will they continue on down the branches? Are we going to see B, C, D, or E trains directed toward either one of the Somerville/Medford termini specifically?

I wouldn't want this extended to Belmont, though. The T is too commuter-oriented as it is - and the Green Line, which is made to do a lot of commuter heavy lifting in Brookline and Newton, is probably the worst-suited for this job. If any lines should be extended out further, it should be the heavy rail ones.

I think someone answered why the Union Square branch couldn't be extended toward Porter somewhere in this thread, but I forget the reasoning.

The ROW isn't wide enough.

Another question: are the Somerville trains all terminating downtown, at Government Center or something, or will they continue on down the branches? Are we going to see B, C, D, or E trains directed toward either one of the Somerville/Medford termini specifically?

I don't think they've gotten that far in the planning. I'm sure they are looking at it.

---

Personally I think the GL should go to Harvard, not Porter. Extend it further to Allston and then connect it to the B Branch, Urban Ring!

Moving Lechmere station to the other side of the Msgr. Obrien will be greeted by pedestrians as a good idea?

lechmere.jpg

Moving Lechmere station to the other side of the Msgr. Obrien will be greeted by pedestrians as a good idea?

No, there was a group trying to get a pedestrian overpass, but I think this is a dead issue now.

It shouldn't be a dead issue. Pedestrian overpasses don't cost that much, and there would be ample land at the site of the existing Lechmere station for the overpass ramp and stairway. If the MBTA had some imagination, they would incorporate a new enclosed escalator, elevator and stairway for the overpass into a new multi-story office/condo building on the site of the existing station.

Compared to the total cost of the Green Line extension, a pedestrain overpass is just chump change, a rounding error. Since when did the MBTA become so pedestrian (no pun intended) in it's vision?

Another thing: what's up with all the proposed parking lots for the new station shown on the rendering? I would think a parking garage, or no parking at all, would be more in keeping with a transit stop in a high density urban neighborhood.

well when i looked at all the different station renderings this was the only one i saw with any parking.

Narrowing O'Brien Highway to four lanes would make it reasonable for pedestrians to cross. The goal should be to turn it either into a parkway or boulevard, something like Fellsway in Malden, or Mass. Ave. in North Cambridge, or Broadway in Somerville.

Compared to the total cost of the Green Line extension, a pedestrian overpass is just chump change, a rounding error. Since when did the MBTA become so pedestrian (no pun intended) in it's vision?

A long time ago. Considering the T was trying to get the developer of NorthPoint to build the station it's no wonder they will try to cut corners where they can (which hurts us all in the long run.)

http://www.universalhub.com/node/24192

Transit and environmental groups will ask local subway riders on Thursday to urge their legislators to support a gas-tax increase that would include money for the T, in a leafletting campaign at Boston T stops - and South Station.

But even as they work to counter rising anger in the western part of the state over alleged money-grubbing by Boston, the groups were failing tonight to get specifics from T officials on just how bad T service cuts could be without extra state funding, which they said will make it harder to convince people to pick up the phone.

At a meeting of the MBTA's Rider Oversight Committee tonight, T CFO Jonathan Davis said it's just too early to discuss specific cuts - even though any cuts would go into effect with a fiscal year that starts July 1. Davis said the only thing he knows for sure is that the T is facing a $160-million deficit. But even though media reports have cited dire MBTA predictions of major service cuts and fare increases, Davis says the authority has yet to give the state Central Transportation Planning Staff (CTPS) any data with which to plan specific changes, although he acknowledged that without any state aid, the T will be looking at "fairly deep service cuts and fairly significant fare increases" - and for at least two years. He said the T is also waiting on more definitive action from the legislature on the gas tax and other proposals that could affect the authority's $1.6-billion budget.

Transit advocates at the meeting pleaded with Davis for specifics with which to convince T riders of the urgency of pressuring their legislators to approve a gas tax increase with a dedicated set-aside for the T - in an amount that Davis said could cover that projected deficit.

Michelle McMurtry of the T Riders Union said she needs those specifics, to counter the sort of reactions she's already getting when telling people about possible fare increases and service cuts: "I've had people swear at me. It's going to be ugly. ... People are not listening because they are in denial."

"The sooner people know realistically they will know what they're facing, the soonere they will be likely to rally," committee member Wig Zamore said.

Committee member Donna Purin said talk of sharp cuts in nighttime and weekend service will especially hit people with no alternatives - people with two jobs or who work late shifts, not to mention students.

Davis said that when the T and CTPS do begin looking at services to cut, they would take such things into account

"We don't like this, we don't want to decimate public transportation," because good public transit is the lifeblood of not just the Boston area, but the whole state, Davis said. "If you want to be a world class city with a world class standing, you need first class transit. ... But we may have no option."

How much does it cost to maintain a highway?

How about shutting down 128 on nights and weekends?

What? It's as vital to people in the suburbs who have cars as the T is to urbanites without them? Too bad.

Last edited:

Back