Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

Re: Green Line to Medford to start in 2011

these designs look very preliminary so far. I wouldn't doubt significant changes to them. All in all though there are some fugly designs there, but some, like Mystic Valley are not bad at all from what i see. When it comes to the outdoor stations, the vast majority of stops on the green line are already outdoor stations. These are just following the trend.

I agree that the designs (other than the Lechemere headhouse) weren't all that bad. The only thing that really bothered me was that the Union Square station sits right in front of the tracks - they appear to dead end at the doors. I feel like that branch is one which could be extended in several directions (and what line can't...) and they're putting a literal giant block in the way of that.

I know that by the time any extension would get approved and planned, the building would be obsolete and replaceable anyway, but it still seems like a bad statement to make: "We'll give you this one station, but forget about anything else."

Despite all the planning studies and forecasts, I feel as if placing these mass transit lines right next to the commuter rail (SW Orange Line as well) is redundant and does not add as much to the region's network as a new ROW. The redundancy of this supposedly revolutionary plan was made very clear to me by the wide rail line pictured in the animations.

Despite all the planning studies and forecasts, I feel as if placing these mass transit lines right next to the commuter rail (SW Orange Line as well) is redundant and does not add as much to the region's network as a new ROW. The redundancy of this supposedly revolutionary plan was made very clear to me by the wide rail line pictured in the animations.

I don't think just because it runs next to commuter rail tracks it is redundant. The commuter rail should run to outlying areas, not making local stops. If it did, it would take even longer to get out to the suburbs and then no one would take it.

Van posted the 1st link a few days back, the second one is new, I think. Thanks.

Not sure how I feel about the wavy canopy, and the new Lechmere is a total dud.

So I was in the City (of SF) last night. The very first thing that caught my attention was that all the stations on the Embarcadero MUNI line had wavy canopies.

But yeah: the wave motif works well in the context of...the waterfront. And there are palm trees. This won't look so good in gritty Somerville.

What would? Steampunk stations made from rotting industrial parts?

For the lazy:

- The D Branch (Riverside) will be extended to Union Sq, the E Branch (Heath) will be extended to West Medford/Rt. 16.

- It mentions the extension of the bike path from Davis to the Charles River, though no mention of funding or if it will be part of the final design. I think at the very least they are planning to leave space for it.

- Will require a new 11.5 acre maintenance facility to hold 80 cars, but doesn't say where.

- Lots of other details that aren't really all that sexy.

- The D Branch (Riverside) will be extended to Union Sq, the E Branch (Heath) will be extended to West Medford/Rt. 16.

Dumb.

Best sollution was E to Union, and a new F line running Medford-Gvt via brattle loop

I don't know if the demand will be there. I'm sure they could run a special rush hour train, or a train when there are games at the Garden. But I don't see the need to get from Medford to Gov't Center at 9pm.

Actually, events at the Garden don't really put too much strain on the system. Remember, you've got a bunch of CR lines, the Green Line, the Orange Line, the highway is right there, a bunch of bus lines, and a commuter boat stop (if anyone ever bothers to use it). Fenway only has the Green Line, one CR stop, the highway's kinda far away, and a couple of bus lines. Plus, the Garden is almost a third the size of Fenway.

As for running an independent "F" loop, I'm not sure why you'd need it. The E line's so short that extending it out to Medford won't make that much of a big deal.

FYI, the commuter boat stop at North Station (Lovejoy Wharf) was discontinued several years ago.

For folks going to and from Logan Airport.

Yeah but there isn't a critical mass of people that would require a Medford-Gov;t Center "F" branch. They would just take the extended E Branch.

Yeah but there isn't a critical mass of people that would require a Medford-Gov;t Center "F" branch. They would just take the extended E Branch.

What does a critical mass of people have to do with it?

A dedicated f line is easier to control. It means a double parker by back of the hill wont affect headway at brickbottom.

What does a critical mass of people have to do with it?

A dedicated f line is easier to control. It means a double parker by back of the hill wont affect headway at brickbottom.

But it will mean more trains that will run with fewer people. The T doesn't have all the money in the world and needs to make sure each train will serve as many paying patrons as possible. Running a branch that will be lightly used and offer redundant service doesn't make fiscal sense.

i know this has been mentioned before, but now since there are going to be two different terminuses for the greenline coming off of Leachmere why dont they cut the greenline into two different lines running on the same track through downtown. It would make the maps alot less confusing for tourists.

But then again as i write this, they wouldnt be able to call it the "Greenline Extension" anymore, and they were sued over getting that specific line extened. If they change the color of the line would that be kosher with the people that sued them and all of the legal paperwork they signed?

But it will mean more trains that will run with fewer people. The T doesn't have all the money in the world and needs to make sure each train will serve as many paying patrons as possible. Running a branch that will be lightly used and offer redundant service doesn't make fiscal sense.

No it doesnt. Having a train running under the e banner and one running under the f banner is no different than two running under the e banner.

Headways have nothing to do with line designation.

However, an f line would avoid the park street problems since it would turn at brattle.

Back