Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

Aren't the buses still using Lechmere to transfer to the shuttles?

Aren't the buses still using Lechmere to transfer to the shuttles?

Yes...on the Cambridge St. busway curb cut, because that side won't need a diversion-from-the-diversion when viaduct demolition reaches the intersection. Shelter on that side is still open for now, as it's expected that will be the last old station structure to go. At some point this summer they will re-manicure the boarding area with temp accommodations so they can bulldoze the building over a weekend, but that probably won't happen until viaduct + larger O'Brien-side building are completely gone and carted away.

Last edited:
More demo photos
20200607_201539.jpg

20200607_201353.jpg

20200607_201404.jpg

Hey, new here, but on the subject of the GLX, I met my friend's dad today and he happens to be a chief engineer on the project, as well as several other MBTA projects. Entirely random, he just mentioned it in passing. He worked on the expansion and replacement of the bridges in Somerville and is currently involved in the construction of the new Lechmere station.

Did a drive under Washington and over the Broadway bridges today.

Washington- already lots of cars, bikes and walkers. There are a number of apartments nearby under construction that will be ready before the East Somerville station opens. The bike lane has quite a dip- surprised they didn't just keep it level with the wide walking path.

Ball Sq. - Looks like quite a few empty storefronts, so Phase 2 and the bridge opening on the same day is a huge bright spot for the neighborhood!

Both business districts will do extremely well with increased foot traffic.

This is by far my favorite thread right now. This doesnt happen every day... or decade. The photo updates have been wonderful.

I hope the Green Line concrete viaduct from Gilmore Bridge to Science Park gets its spalling concrete repaired during the shutdown period. It looks pretty bad in places. Beeline, thanks for the fantastic photos,

Last edited:
That's the other thing they're doing during the shutdown. They pushed that project up a few years so they wouldn't have to shut down the viaduct again.

Also, the noise in some of those adjacent apartments must be brutal.

I've always wondered how unbearable those units were, both for noise and privacy. Their windows are within like 15' of the tracks. Hopefully some serious glazing.

Back