Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

818AEE8A-460A-4BFF-A61A-520F31D8546C.jpeg

Is the tall structure in the foreground going to be for an elevator, as well as the one in the background? :)

Last edited:
Last edited:
Just for fun, here's a brief history of the estimated bridge closure periods for this project. Note how radically they misjudged the work on Medford Street Bridge--which as of last month was predicted to be opened by this week... That ain't happening. Which makes me wonder why be so cavalier about continuing to miss deadlines? I would not be surprised if it opens no earlier than November.

Timestamp for each chart is in the lower right corner.
1629994857760.png

1629994929643.png

1629994968609.png

1629995035955.png

1629995071432.png

They could have done a full demolition and replacement of both bridges in the time it has taken to finesse the back spans.

to give them their due, I imagine they never had the option of replacing both bridges as it would have caused huge disruption to CR services.
And as far as I'm aware, Medford st. bridge use has changed and won't be reopening to regular traffic. If that's the case, maybe it became less of a priority.
Given the supply chain and labor disruptions from the pandemic, I'm amazed they are on budget and not so far behind.

yeah ^^^ - last i heard the medford street bridge would become pedestrian-only and be home to a year-round(?) farmer's market.

Somerville has recently repositioned the webcams for the high school construction to cover the field construction behind the old high school. They now provide nice coverage of Gilman Square station construction too.

That is the MBTA for yah. They try, but in the procsess, they tend to do some things half-assed. :(

Holy crap just realized tomorrow is 9/2021... The anticipated end date of union square construction delay as seen in my user profile image. "05/2018 to 09/2021". Dang, what a ride. I don't even live in east Somerville anymore :oops:

(Not saying they will be done in Sept, just fun to remember how much I laughed at the construction sign back then and finally here we are. Feeling old.)

Last edited:
Washington st. underpass completely flooded and cut off. Future access to new station behind Cataldo also flooded.
Seems like it's the second or third time this Summer.
I know the weather is getting more extreme but they've been working on drainage here for 5 years and it seems to be no better.
Am I missing something? Has the new system not come on line yet, is it clogged with construction debris, or is it just woefully inadequate?

The August CWG talked about drainage and said that it was not online during one of the recent storms. However, the temporary pumps needed cleaning.

As I understand the situation, the new permanent pumps are not online yet.
  • During the large thunderstorm in early August, there were no temporary pumps installed. Flooded.
  • During Henri in mid August, they installed temporary pumps that kept things dry.
  • During Ida last night, the temporary pumps were off for cleaning from Henri. Flooded.
This underpass is essentially below ground water level during a big storm (Along with many of the basements in the neighborhood...) so if the pumps aren't running, it's virtually guaranteed to flood. They appear to have pushed back the turn-on date for the primary pumps with the rest of the GLX work.

Back