Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

Never underestimate a Type-8's ability to derail.

I recall seeing scars on the platform at Northeastern from one of the Type 8's misadventures in track-jumping. I know they've been somewhat better of late at staying on the tracks, but it doesn't hurt to have some insurance against it happening again, people could easily get hurt.

When the T first got the Type 8's, they were derailing left & right!! It almost was ready to sue & send them back. :eek:

If anyone is interested in a deep dive into the history and design of the GLX, I've completed a major expansion of the Wikipedia article. (By major, I mean it's 6,100 words and has 165 sources.) Comments/suggestions/corrections are welcome.

Wow, really impressive and a substantial public service pulling this together. One reading of the history is that this project essentially took 100 years (1922 - 2022) from earliest conception through delivery.

Wow, really impressive and a substantial public service pulling this together. One reading of the history is that this project essentially took 100 years (1922 - 2022) from earliest conception through delivery.

Thanks! And yes, this must be one of the longest proposal-to-completion times for any transit project. Union Square is a relatively newer addition - proposed once in the 1980s, and not a core part of the project until 2005.

Thank you for this EGE! One line I am expecting to edit 30 days from now: " School Street and Medford Street are expected to reopen in late 2021"

School Street is nearly open. The sidewalk's been accessible since late August and city vehicles already use the road and just drive over those white "barriers" that fold over surprisingly easily (I've seen a bunch of trucks and even a couple cars do it in the past couple weeks). If they stick to their plan of making that section of Medford street a permanent pedestrian area/market then, yeah, the bit about Medford Street fully re-opening will need to be edited.

Last edited:
Everything I've been hearing lately is that Medford Street will be fully reopened to traffic.

Good to know! I'll ask one of the folks on-site if they've heard one way or the other when I walk the mutt later.

I take it that it's the first stop after Science Park. Will it be the first one to open & when?!! :)

I did not have time to take a picture, but the ties are laid and the outside rail is in place (mostly) on the inbound side at Ball square station, closing the gap in the Medford line.

Everything I've been hearing lately is that Medford Street will be fully reopened to traffic.
It's both. The midterm plan (next several years) will be to reopen the bridge to all traffic with the long-term plan to turn it pedestrian/emergency vehicles only once they design, fund and build a ped plaza.

Back