Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

I noticed that they have relocated the construction fencing at Somerville Junction Park and the adjacent parking lot. It appears that they are prepping to reopen pedestrian access between the park and Central St. It will be narrow and next to the utility poles, so it will probably yield some collisions, but it’s some tiny progress. It will also induce daredevils to try the stretch of the bike path between the current terminus and the park.

I found this article very informative concerning exactly what work is planned for the shutdown. https://www.masstransitmag.com/rail...5089E1B&rdx.ident[pull]=omeda|7630A9595089E1B

Thanks for the link.

Per the article, here is what's said regarding the Lechmere Viaduct:
Adjustments to the overhead wire on the East Cambridge Viaduct that will eliminate a temporary 10 mph speed restriction, allowing trolleys to operate at the system’s designed speed of 25 mph on a permanent basis. The higher speed is necessary to maintain proper schedule intervals as five new Medford Branch stations are added to the system.

It's baffling to hear claims that the design speed is 25 mph when the technical provisions that @The EGE sent clearly state otherwise. It's bothersome and concerning that this change was made to the speed limit, especially without any apparent justification.

The *GLX* project speed is 50 mph. The Lechemere viaduct rehabilitation was technically not part of the GLX project.

And yet the GLX documents The EGE posted clearly stated that 50mph was the design maximum speed from Science Park to Red Bridge Interlocking, so it's somewhat semantic as to which project the viaduct was technically part of, there was clearly an intent for the max to be 50 over the viaduct (though I'll concede it's possible that the viaduct project could have changed that, I don't know if anyone has those documents to confirm or not)

And yet the GLX documents The EGE posted clearly stated that 50mph was the design maximum speed from Science Park to Red Bridge Interlocking, so it's somewhat semantic as to which project the viaduct was technically part of, there was clearly an intent for the max to be 50 over the viaduct (though I'll concede it's possible that the viaduct project could have changed that, I don't know if anyone has those documents to confirm or not)

Max design =/= scheduled operating speed.

I have heard very much unofficially that the T is planning to do future work that will allow trains to travel at 40mph through that section.

I have heard very much unofficially that the T is planning to do future work that will allow trains to travel at 40mph through that section.

So, apparently, taking the viaduct offline for a year, completely gutting it down to its frame, and rebuilding the entire trackbed and laying all new track, was somehow not the ideal time to pursue 40mph? Rather, some future time is more ideal?

Anyone know who would be best to contact to see if the community path will be delayed till early 2023 or if work can continue and it can open with the rest of the project in November. Somerville certainly don't seem to have done anything re. crosswalks etc.
Does it have to open after the GLX is commercially running for safety reasons?

I have been told that the Community Path ROW will still be needed for construction access for a couple months after the Medford Branch opens. Maybe they'll be able to get whatever work is involved there done during the shutdown, but I'm not holding my breath.

So, apparently, taking the viaduct offline for a year, completely gutting it down to its frame, and rebuilding the entire trackbed and laying all new track, was somehow not the ideal time to pursue 40mph? Rather, some future time is more ideal?

This stuff blows my mind. Its especially bad with road works in the state where they rip up the same stretch of road over and over and over.

They are putting up the full height fencing for the section west of School St now, which seems to inhibit easy construction access.

I have been told that the Community Path ROW will still be needed for construction access for a couple months after the Medford Branch opens. Maybe they'll be able to get whatever work is involved there done during the shutdown, but I'm not holding my breath.
yea, I've heard that too, just wondering how to find out if the path has been delayed too. Seems ridiculous if it has.

They are putting up the full height fencing for the section west of School St now, which seems to inhibit easy construction access.
yea, looking at the fencing that's gone in along most of the path, it doesn't seem like a ROW would be any use for construction. I have seen one or two trucks using the path but surely this work could be completed by November.

Almost no trace left. I wonder why they brought in all that dirt (the pile that the smaller excavator is on)? Looks like drain pipes coming in soon too.

12562817-54AE-48EE-B26B-AA4670A120F2.jpeg
C42D3BDD-0CD8-4C87-BE57-76D402064D96.jpeg

What is that building that's u/c in the background for? Or is that the Middlesex Courthouse getting a new facade / facelift? :unsure:

Almost no trace left. I wonder why they brought in all that dirt (the pile that the smaller excavator is on)? Looks like drain pipes coming in soon too.

View attachment 27177View attachment 27178
I think the pile of soil brought in is to level out the lot once all the debris is removed, due to all the old track beds and building foundations that were there.

Back