Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

523CFDB7-6E75-4B5D-AFC4-6EA75D75EC3C.jpeg
995383A7-1816-47C8-939A-3AFA200B8A5D.jpeg
F00ACD1C-C77F-4124-BEC0-1038F5ADC9F3.jpeg
85E0138F-1E3B-4C70-95C7-DA77010D50F9.jpeg

So this may have been commented on before, but do we have typical T cluster signage in action on the new GLX?

The terminal station is signed "Medford/Tufts"

But the some of the cars bound for that station as a terminus are signed "College Avenue" (And some pictured above are Medford/Tufts, just to add to the joyous confusion).

Could we work any harder to try to confuse riders?

So this may have been commented on before, but do we have typical T cluster signage in action on the new GLX?

But the some of the cars bound for that station as a terminus are signed "College Avenue" (And some pictured above are Medford/Tufts, just to add to the joyous confusion).

Grouchy grouchy grouchy. Try being psyched instead. It’s way more fun. This is a great day!

The Type 7s and 8s are signed "Medfrd-Tufts". I think "College Ave" is only an issue for the Type 9s. No D/E shown.

Many Type 7s don't have the display on, though.

Last edited:
So now that they've finally built this thing, we can start complaining about it, right? I rode with my older son to Somerville High School, after we waited at least 15 minutes for a train, and when I got back to the Gilman Square station I'd just missed one and the next one wasn't for 12 minutes. So I joy-rode an inbound train to Lechmere and dashed across the platform to the outbound that was sitting there. Occurred to me after it pulled out that I hadn't checked if it was a Medford/Tufts train, but it was.
The track crossings at Ball Square and East Somerville are going to play hell with inbound headways, because the train has to wait for everyone who just got off the train to clear the platform.
And the computer-generated announcement says "The destination of this train is Medford Slash Tufts". Like, did anyone actually listen to it before deploying it to the trains?

The extension is nice and fast, but the Lechmere viaduct is a slow crawl. Not sure if it’s traffic, or the viaduct really is a slow zone.

Lechmere viaduct is definitely slow but it's a short distance.

Signs on the east somerville platform show the actual number of minutes to the next train (as opposed to what's displayed at union square).

Just asked a construction worker at the station when the bike path will open and she said she's heard March. Obviously not an official source but thought I'd share. Definitely makes sense to skip snow season.

Lechmere viaduct is definitely slow
As a commuter - I hate it. But I still love the view while crawling across the bridge.

7AM inbound was pretty crowded. Everybody with smiles until you hit North Station with the grizzled commuter rail crowd.

Overheard a funny comment walking from Magoun: "Who are all these new people walking through the neighborhood this morning? I thought I knew most faces."

Signs on the east somerville platform show the actual number of minutes to the next train (as opposed to what's displayed at union square).
It still only shows arrival times when a train has departed Medford/Tufts. At the first 2-3 stations, you don't get arrival times until just about 3 minutes away.

Back