Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

I was waiting at Govt Center for my GL to Medford/Tufts for my first ride yesterday, and an older woman not familar with the area was quite confused when she saw destinations of Medford/Tufts and Union on the board and she wanted to go to Lechmere. The problem was that the station map still isn't updated on the platform. Since USQ opened a few months ago, you'd think maps would be changed at a station like Govt Ctr.

Also, a likely problem occurred - the destination on the train's board noted Union Sq but it was a Medford/Tufts train. I assume that's something not done yet.

Otherwise, smooth and quick ride. Didn't really slow into Medford. Only slow spot is still the viaduct.

Looking forward to Blue Line to Lynn!

Took the GLX Saturday afternoon (Dec. 17th), I also had a train that had on board signage and the AI voice saying " the destination of this train is Union Square", but it was actually a Medford train. The countdown clocks/appstrain operator all said it was a Medford train.

Was quite confusing at Lechmere where the AI voice says "the destination of this train is "Union Square", then the operator goes on the loudspeaker and says "this is a Medford train", then the AI voice says "next stop Union Square", and the operator chimes in again saying "next stop East Somerville", heading onto the Medford branch. At Lechmere, Union Sq. bound passanger had to be told by the operator to get off the train for a Union Sq. train.

ASA issues are endemic to the T. In some instances, I can’t figure out if the motorperson making garbled announcements is due to a broken ASA or just a desire to make their presence known.

Now they have closed the new path from Lowell to Somerville Junction. I guess someone wants their Mission Accomplished photo op.

Union Sq stop from entry to exit and surrounding developments are continuing steadily. Stairs getting final material. Windows in the parking garage. Looks interesting actually. Though I still don’t get how the cast concrete gray panels so precisely match the port-a-potties in the back.

4E7FFC07-CEA8-4F62-A732-C392302E75A0.jpeg
6183BEC9-8CCC-4EAF-ADEB-16D43E452C19.jpeg
A2B7363D-49BD-405F-8964-9A5D536DB9A7.jpeg
6E9B93A3-C805-4DFE-A26B-8692DAF51F5C.jpeg
DEBA6A2F-F58E-4DC5-A197-8ABF619D0F9E.jpeg
E464C38D-78E9-47D0-8174-79E2FC5E7911.jpeg

Last edited:
Incidentally, some of the things left out on Opening Week include:
1) Electronic Latch on Bike Cages (no Charlie Card required for entry)
2) Bus Stop relocation. Pretty clear that the current "Tufts Garage" stop on the 80/94/96 needs to move to opposite the station entrance and get a crosswalk plan

I tried to snap some photos inside the new Medford Tufts station this morning but was told by a T employee that photos are not allowed in MBTA stations? I asked if this was a systemwide policy and he said yes. This is the first I've heard of this--does anyone know if this is the case?

That said, I did notice one of the elevators was (already?) out of service.

IMG_20221226_091037565_HDR.jpg

It is not the case. Staff constantly confuse the policy on commercial photography to mean that personal photography is banned. It is not. A clarification that would make personal photography explicitly allowed however has never been brought forth.

The photo policy (buried deep on the MBTA website) seems pretty explicit that personal photography is allowed (and that only commercial photography requires a permit)

I tried to snap some photos inside the new Medford Tufts station this morning but was told by a T employee that photos are not allowed in MBTA stations? I asked if this was a systemwide policy and he said yes. This is the first I've heard of this--does anyone know if this is the case?

View attachment 32186
I’m gonna go briefly off-topic here. The official policy (and I believe in fact the law as well) is that personal photography is allowed. That said, employees will sometimes try to discourage or dissuade you — I don’t know what would happen if the Transit Police were called, but honestly whatever they end up doing, it’s already probably a bad outcome if they get called.

So the question becomes how to avoid the conversation in the first place. For that, I have a few rules of thumb.

First, avoid photoing/videoing people’s faces. Honestly this is just generally a good practice, but public employees never know if you’re gonna take a normal photo of them just doing their job and make a meme or other content of that genre out of it. Even if the employee “has nothing to hide”, there are still valid reasons not to want to be photographed by randos in public. (Yes, you probably have a right to photograph them, but that doesn’t make it a good idea.)

Second, keep in mind that vehicle numbers can be as identifying as someone’s face. This gets dicier, but if you take a photo that gets passed around online, and some inspector sees it and doesn’t like something, it can come back to bite the operator. Now, in theory, this should “only” be a problem if something is awry, in which case maybe it’s a good thing the inspector finds out. But in any given moment, an employee already has a lot they are focusing on — worrying how it will look in some rando’s video taken from 20 feet away in low-res adds another thing to that list. So they may opt to bluff and tell you to put the camera away.

Third, read the room: if it seems like there is confusion or consternation (e.g. trying to fix a stalled train), be mindful that videoing/photoing will increase the tension in that situation. I’m not saying you shouldn’t, but be aware of situations where employees may feel exposed or embarrassed, and consider accordingly.

If someone tells you not to photo/video, my suggestion is to politely apologize, say you didn’t know, move along, and come back later if you want — it’s just not worth the argument.

If you do want to “stand your ground”, then have a copy of the T‘s official policy on you (in hard copy, with at least two printouts), politely explain that you are allowed to take photos for personal use, show them the policy, and, if you feel it’s appropriate, explain that you aren’t trying to photograph them individually.

That all being said, the photo you’ve shared seems mostly innocuous. But, I was out on the GLX today, and it definitely still has the feeling of “working out the kinks”, and what I saw definitely left me with the impression that employees are being hung out to dry/left holding the bag for bad planning many levels above them. So, that may be why the person asked you to stop. I don’t think that’s a good enough reason for them to do it, and I think it’s unfair to you. But I also think the situation is unfair to the employees, so I can understand the defensiveness.

View attachment 32186

No way! They should be thankful that people/customers are publicizing their service.

I’m gonna go briefly off-topic here. The official policy (and I believe in fact the law as well) is that personal photography is allowed. That said, employees will sometimes try to discourage or dissuade you — I don’t know what would happen if the Transit Police were called, but honestly whatever they end up doing, it’s already probably a bad outcome if they get called.

So the question becomes how to avoid the conversation in the first place. For that, I have a few rules of thumb.

First, avoid photoing/videoing people’s faces. Honestly this is just generally a good practice, but public employees never know if you’re gonna take a normal photo of them just doing their job and make a meme or other content of that genre out of it. Even if the employee “has nothing to hide”, there are still valid reasons not to want to be photographed by randos in public. (Yes, you probably have a right to photograph them, but that doesn’t make it a good idea.)

Second, keep in mind that vehicle numbers can be as identifying as someone’s face. This gets dicier, but if you take a photo that gets passed around online, and some inspector sees it and doesn’t like something, it can come back to bite the operator. Now, in theory, this should “only” be a problem if something is awry, in which case maybe it’s a good thing the inspector finds out. But in any given moment, an employee already has a lot they are focusing on — worrying how it will look in some rando’s video taken from 20 feet away in low-res adds another thing to that list. So they may opt to bluff and tell you to put the camera away.

Third, read the room: if it seems like there is confusion or consternation (e.g. trying to fix a stalled train), be mindful that videoing/photoing will increase the tension in that situation. I’m not saying you shouldn’t, but be aware of situations where employees may feel exposed or embarrassed, and consider accordingly.

If someone tells you not to photo/video, my suggestion is to politely apologize, say you didn’t know, move along, and come back later if you want — it’s just not worth the argument.

If you do want to “stand your ground”, then have a copy of the T‘s official policy on you (in hard copy, with at least two printouts), politely explain that you are allowed to take photos for personal use, show them the policy, and, if you feel it’s appropriate, explain that you aren’t trying to photograph them individually.

That all being said, the photo you’ve shared seems mostly innocuous. But, I was out on the GLX today, and it definitely still has the feeling of “working out the kinks”, and what I saw definitely left me with the impression that employees are being hung out to dry/left holding the bag for bad planning many levels above them. So, that may be why the person asked you to stop. I don’t think that’s a good enough reason for them to do it, and I think it’s unfair to you. But I also think the situation is unfair to the employees, so I can understand the defensiveness.

This is all very helpful and agree I try not to get the employees in the photos! I was honestly just trying to take some pictures of the platform and trains but was approached almost immediately after I took my camera out.

Thanks! I did have an actual camera instead of just my phone so maybe that contributed to it?

Quite possibly. Prior to somewhere around 2007 they did outright prohibit photography without a permit (...enforcing that would have been interesting once smartphones became ubiquitous), and for a while after they changed the policy it was fairly common for employees to cite the former restrictions (it's understandable for it to take a bit for a policy change to set in, though not fifteen years). You said that the employee who spoke to you said that the policy was that photography is forbidden, which is unequivocally not the case (unless they've changed their policy at some point in the last three years with zero public announcement, which is extremely unlikely), so it makes sense that someone who either didn't know about or didn't care about the actual policy would take more notice of someone with a camera rather than just a phone. (Now, as the policy notes, things like tripods are prohibited, so one should expect to be spoken to if setting up that kind of equipment without the proper permits.)

A4575075-C22A-461D-ABCC-5586DF594340.jpeg
I snapped this picture of a train with around 50 passengers arriving at the Medford terminus at 6pm yesterday, which is crazy more riders than a either CR at W.Med or an 80 bus would have ever had.

Some but not all had parked along Boston Ave. Interesting “Christmas Observed” mix of older groups, Gardner museum shoppers, and families with kids.

note to T: fix the “EDFD-TUFTS” clipped destination

Is it safe to assume that these car types could be stuck with an 11 character limit on naming strings? So what's wrong with MEDFR-TUFTS? Some locals may even VOTE for MEFA-TUFTS. "Msg & data rates may apply"

Unless something's changed, they're more than capable of longer names, at least on the interior signs. I've seen "GOVERNMENT CNTR", which is fifteen characters (including the space). The old LCD exterior signs were/are limited to 12 characters (plus the big route letter).

Back